S

New CPC user get a CPC 6128 but having random charters in the screen

Started by Sebastian Blanco, 19:38, 23 June 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Blanco

This is my first post here so i like to say hello to everybody :D .
Also this is my first contact on the cpc world i got a 6128 in pretty rought condition.
The keyboard have all the springs oxidised so y have to replace every spring on the keyboard but that is not the main trouble i have.
Using the computer and having no keyboard connected when i turn on the cpc got random charters typed on the screen this happen everytime i turn on the cpc.
I have done a small video showing this issue.

Thanks !

Bryce

Hi Sebastian,
            the AY-3-8912 (Sound chip and keyboard reader) is broken and needs to be changed.

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

It could also be possessed and trying to communicate something to the world, but this is less likely  :-X

keropi

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 10:45, 24 June 16
It could also be possessed and trying to communicate something to the world, but this is less likely  :-X

I just think it became sentient , OP please don't put it online and SkyNet the world  :laugh:

Gryzor

Sebastian Blanco

Great so i only have to replace the AY so no demonic possession, i was contacting the Vatican to get an exorcism already  :o .

||C|-|E||

Audronic

Quote from: Sebastian Blanco on 16:45, 24 June 16
Great so i only have to replace the AY so no demonic possession, i was contacting the Vatican to get an exorcism already  :o .
I see that this is your FIRST Member Post.

Welcome aboard, I like your humour even when the device is faulty
Please DON'T purchase a  AY-3-8912A  as they need pull-ups added.

Welcome

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

Quote from: Sebastian Blanco on 16:45, 24 June 16

AY-men to that! :) I see from your profile picture that you already have the "holy water" ready to go. :)

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Welcome @Sebastian Blanco. With the water and the humour you'll fit right in here ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

anyf33

My friend have same problem with 2 cpc's . And HE already  Bought a AY chip. So.what is your suggection? (My english in their limits :laugh:)

VincentGR

Quote from: anyf33 on 16:50, 26 June 16
My friend have same problem with 2 cpc's . And HE already  Bought a AY chip. So.what is your suggection? (My english in their limits :laugh: )

He did the right thing.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Ελπίζω να πήρε και sockets έτσι?

Bryce

Quote from: anyf33 on 16:50, 26 June 16
My friend have same problem with 2 cpc's . And HE already  Bought a AY chip. So.what is your suggection? (My english in their limits :laugh: )

Did it solve the problem for him?

Bryce.

anyf33

Quote from: Audronic on 23:54, 24 June 16
I see that this is your FIRST Member Post.

Welcome aboard, I like your humour even when the device is faulty
Please DON'T purchase a  AY-3-8912A  as they need pull-ups added.

Welcome

Ray

actually this a question for this post. (why DONT purchase?)
And my friend is afraid to change the chip. and destroy the amstrad motherboard

[spoiler]
Sockets εχει . το θεμα ειναι πως θα το ξεκολλησει εκει κολλαει ο φιλος

Audronic

@anyf33
Put a request for somebody that lives near you to help with the removal & socketing of the AY chip.
Please tell the forum where you live (Country, Suburb), there maybe somebody around the corner who can help.

Good Luck     Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

Quote from: anyf33 on 22:17, 26 June 16

actually this a question for this post. (why DONT purchase?)
And my friend is afraid to change the chip. and destroy the amstrad motherboard

[spoiler]
Sockets εχει . το θεμα ειναι πως θα το ξεκολλησει εκει κολλαει ο φιλος
[/s]

There are two types: AY-3-8912 and AY-3-8912A
The CPC needs the non-A version.If you or your friend don't think you can safelyswap the AY, then send me the PCBs and I will repair them for you.

Bryce.

Sebastian Blanco

Thank very much for the welcome, and also i will take into account to not get the AY A variant.
:-*

TotO

For informations, I have bought some AY without "A" that require the external network resistor.  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

gerald

Quote from: TotO on 19:35, 01 July 16
For informations, I have bought some AY without "A" that require the external network resistor.  :-\
Chinese get smart, they know that the without A version is more valuable, they just 'upgraded' their re-marking  ;D

TotO

Quote from: gerald on 19:57, 01 July 16
Chinese get smart, they know that the without A version is more valuable, they just 'upgraded' their re-marking  ;D
Exactly what I though.  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Sebastian Blanco

OK got the AY but have a problem is 40 pins and the original is a 28 pin one.
Tried to find one on ebay but all of them seem to be the 40 pin version.
Someone know where i can get one ?

Sebastian Blanco

Dagger

Cool, please keep updated as would like to know how you get on
Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !

Sebastian Blanco

OK guys removed the old AY using the classic destruction method (cutting the legs and removing).
Managed to lift a track but soldered a wire jumper, soldered a brand new socket on it.
Inserted my new AY-3-8912 ----> 1pcs Programmable Sound Generator IC Sound Gi DIP 28 AY 3 8912 AY3 8912 | eBay
Now the bad news "for me" get crazy charters like before ....... not the same this time they seem to be less crazy i have done this video:
Picture after the Amstrad finish deleting and get stuck there.

Just for curiosity i turned on the beast and have the ay removed from the socket to see what happens and this is what i got, not the same:

Seem I'm out of luck on this also  :o

Audronic

@Sebastian Blanco

I looks like the IC 107  M4L8255AP-5  Is Faulty

Good luck  Ray

Edit :- Is the AY an "AY-3-8912" and NOT an "AY-3-8912A"
Procrastinators Unite,