News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New GX4000 Multicart

Started by Kevin Quinn, 20:32, 11 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Quinn

Don't know if you've seen these before. For the price they seem a bargain and hopefully won't have PSU issues.

amtrad_gx4000_multi_cartridge_32in1

arnoldemu

Quote from: Kevin Quinn on 20:32, 11 September 16
Don't know if you've seen these before. For the price they seem a bargain and hopefully won't have PSU issues.

I like that there is a board which could be used for a physical single game release too :)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TFM

The ACID's can be bought for 8 Euros a piece. That may be cheaper.

But 32 games at once... Sorry since Phantoms made 100's of Carts the C4CPC seems to be the right option.
However, this card here is a bit cheaper.

Depends what one wants.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Kevin Quinn on 20:32, 11 September 16

Complete waste of time as an alternative to the superior in every way C4CPC. CPC owners are cracking games weekly so they can be played from cartridge. With that cart all you have is 32 games, that's it. No new games, no hope of ever adding any more.

You mention PSU issues. Nobody should be running a GX4000 from the original Amstrad supply unless their intention is to destroy their hardware. People splashing out on a C4CPC and then complaining that they have PSU issues are lucky they haven't already destroyed their GX's long before their C4CPC arrived on the scene. The Amstrad PSU's are rubbish and the best place for them is the bottom of a landfill pit.

For my money the C4CPC is still the only solution to choose.

The only appeal here is the board could be used for a single cart release. But that is unlikely to ever happen.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

robcfg

Not bad if you only want to have the original 27 games plus the diagnostics cart.

Being eeprom based makes you also dependant on a eeprom programmer, while on the C4CPC you only have to put the games on the SD card.

So, for the price difference I'd stick to the C4CPC but not a bad piece of hardware anyway.

CraigsBar

Looks like it won't fit in the slot of a plus either.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TotO

Totally illegal piraty product...  :-X
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

andycadley

Obviously it'll only work with a GX, since that ZIF socket is way to big to fit inside a Plus machine and it's rather big and cumbersome so would need a very different case design if you used the non-ZIF version for a real cart release. Still, always nice to see more people revisiting the GX for it's potential.

arnoldemu

Quote from: TotO on 23:06, 11 September 16
Totally illegal piraty product...  :-X
Are you saying that about the games on the ROM or the Acid implementation?
My games. My Games

arnoldemu

Quote from: robcfg on 22:49, 11 September 16
So, for the price difference I'd stick to the C4CPC but not a bad piece of hardware anyway.
I agree the C4CPC is the better product.

The pcb of this other cart h/w could be improved to work on all Pluses.

@Trebmint: With the single game pcb you could make a physical cart release now and sell it ;)
My games. My Games

TotO

Quote from: arnoldemu on 07:49, 12 September 16
Are you saying that about the games on the ROM or the Acid implementation?
About selling the product because the games inside.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

I suppose some people might prefer physical dip-switches, but the layout could have been done better to allow it to be used on a plus. The smaller card could have at least been made to fit in an original cartridge case and I would have used decent sockets too and not those cheap double-spring ones.

Bryce.

TotO

I can't imagine that product design was not made to save on the hardware and make money for its content over GX4000 users only.
So, I don't expect that PLUS users have been targeted...  :-\ (by the way, the C4CPC is a far far better deal)

CraigsBar

Quote from: robcfg on 22:49, 11 September 16
Not bad if you only want to have the original 27 games plus the diagnostics cart.

Being eeprom based makes you also dependant on a eeprom programmer, while on the C4CPC you only have to put the games on the SD card.

I guess if this included "chase hq 2" it would sell like hot cakes ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Phantomz

First off, It's always nice to see new hardware being made for the Amstrad / GX4000.  :D

I think if this had come out sooner it might have done really well and people would have jumped at the chance to pick one up, people wanted a multicart for the GX4000 for ages.

Some people might still like to get this new multicart ( each to his or her own ) but I personally feel that most people will go for the C4CPC ( easier to add / change games to sd card ),
the C4CPC also fits in the plus machines and can fit inside a normal size case which looks better and gives it protection.