News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Newbie needs help!

Started by retro_collector, 21:59, 17 September 19

Previous topic - Next topic

retro_collector

Hello everyone!

Greetings from Chicago !!

I have been reading here for a week now and joined today, I am looking to get a CPC to add to my collection.

Which do I get? Do I get a 464 Plus and add the memory and drive parts or do I get a 6128 plus and add the tape mod? or get a CPC 664?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Bill

mr_lou

Welcome!

I think the CPC6128 is the "main" CPC to get. There are relatively many of them around, so the price is decent. It is also the one most current users have.

My personal favorite is the CPC464 though, but that's just because it's the one I grew up with, and that's probably how it is for many people.

The CPC664 is more rare and therefor somewhat expensive. I'd say it's more of a collector's CPC nowadays than it's one being used.

Dunno about the plus machines really....  they're supposed to be better and all, and should therefor theoretically run everything, but that's not my experience. I've stumbled over many games that didn't run on the plus. Although nowadays a lot of those games has been patched to work with the plus.

So... if you'd like to see new releases and such, and get a decent price, get the CPC6128.
If money is no obstacle and you're stricly in it for collecting, take a look at the CPC664.

robcfg

I agree that the 6128 is the machine to go for.

If, for any reason you decide to get a 664, you'll be also needing a memory expansion and, most probably, a new keyboard membrane.

Gryzor

Hello and welcome!

Seeing as you're in the States, perhaps getting a tape-based machine woule add some quirkiness probably, and you could upgrade it to reach very functional status. But if you want the easiest machine to use, then by all means go for a 6128. The Plus models are nice, but much more expensive and mainly for Amstrad collectors...

retro_collector

Thanks everyone at least I have a place to start.

If I were to get a CPC664 how do I upgrade it to 128k and how do I add a TZXdunio?

Thanks

Bill