News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

DDI-1 clone 95 % done.

Started by Piotr, 22:42, 23 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

beaker

Don't take it too personally, the 32 people are probably like myself, who aren't technically minded and don't understand what we're looking at  :laugh:

Thanks for making a great product and making it open source. Hopefully someone who updates the wiki can put it on there.
I need to see how my finances are at the end of the month but I am still hoping to buy myself one.

TotO

Should be 32 times the same guy too...  :laugh:
(thank you, I will download it a day)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

beaker

It's been a good year for hardware. The DDI-clone making 464's useful again along with the X-mem.

Piotr

Well  is good time to finish my  Turbosound FM sound card for Amstrad  , 12 channels, sample song recorded from my 464 from testing working prototype ,
FM 
http://www.eightbitclone.com/tsfm10.mp3
and only 6 channels AY
http://www.eightbitclone.com/tsfm11.mp3

Card is 2x ym2203 plus 2 x ym3014 fore FM. ;)

beaker

Wow, that came out of a 464?!?!  :o
Impressive!

Piotr

It a reason why i asking about feedback, i can made but why made if is zero reaction? I made lot of stuff for myself for my fun, i can share it but i dont see point made more if is no answer. ;)

Neil79

Quote from: Piotr on 15:54, 14 July 14
Well  is good time to finish my  Turbosound FM sound card for Amstrad  ,

WOW Wants! :D :D
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

CraigsBar

Quote from: Piotr on 15:54, 14 July 14
Well  is good time to finish my  Turbosound FM sound card for Amstrad  , 12 channels, sample song recorded from my 464 from testing working prototype ,
FM 
http://www.eightbitclone.com/tsfm10.mp3
and only 6 channels AY
http://www.eightbitclone.com/tsfm11.mp3

Card is 2x ym2203 plus 2 x ym3014 fore FM. ;)
amazing sound. How does that compare hardwarewise to the PlayCity? I guess I need both lol. Good job I have multiple cpcs. Please make this, I'd buy one if the price was right.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TotO

As I'm releasing the PlayCity (CTC-AY) in 2 weeks, that add more interesting features for the CPC itself and does 12x AY too, I'm personally not interested.  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TCMSLP

Quote from: beaker on 14:46, 14 July 14
Don't take it too personally, the 32 people are probably like myself, who aren't technically minded and don't understand what we're looking at  :laugh:

Having just checked the thread/post/manual, I totally agree with the above.  Most would grab a copy, or download out of interest, but have no idea what they were looking at.   We have very few hardware guys which is why we haven't had a commercially available clone before now.

However, the fact you've made this available is awesome.  Those of us that understand it, appreciate it!

CraigsBar

Quote from: TotO on 16:44, 14 July 14
As I'm releasing the PlayCity (CTC-AY) in 2 weeks, that add more interesting features for the CPC itself and does 12x AY too, I'm personally not interested.  ;D
only 2 weeks to wait.... Yippee.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Piotr

Sorry for wasting your time. Have nice day.

TotO

Quote from: Piotr on 17:07, 14 July 14
Don't be sorry! :)
We are working on the board since months and some peoples have already started to program softwares for it.
So, I think that is better to inform you, for not wasting YOUR time on a close project.  8)
More informations here: PlayCity - CPCWiki

Piotr

Hmm, i see it is  on ymz 294, old and hard to buy, also not FM support ,for me is step forward .But have fun

MaV

Piotr's sound card sounds very impressive! :)
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

TotO

Quote from: Piotr on 17:42, 14 July 14
Hmm, i see it is  on ymz 294, old and hard to buy, also not FM support ,for me is step forward .But have fun
We are in 2014. Your ICs are from 80's too... And it's not a problem to get them at all.
The YMZ294 was released after the CPC sound chip and allow exactly the same PSG features than yours. :)

Where is the CPC's soul and the nostalgia of users if you transform it as a japanese FM jukebox?
You see a step forward, because you are not thinking CPC and want to build ZX music clone boards.
Remember me how the Turbo Sound was used on ZX Spectrum games and demo since 8 years ago?

The PlayCity is a major step forward for the CPC, because it was designed for delivering his hidden power.  8)

jrodriguezv

I was one of 32 downloads, sorry! My fault!

I want to thank you for your great job and for sharing it with the community.

THANK YOU!

And sorry again :-)

Neil79

We even wrote an article of the DDI-1

Isn't that thanks enough  >:( :laugh:
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

beaker

Yes, yes. But at the end of the day I think we can agree that what we want is something with midi support and remastered Dizzy games lol

Neil79

Quote from: beaker on 21:00, 14 July 14
Yes, yes. But at the end of the day I think we can agree that what we want is something with midi support and remastered Dizzy games lol

Already have the remastered Dizzy games, "DizzyAge"  :laugh:

steve

Quote from: Piotr on 17:07, 14 July 14

Please don't give up, we need more people developing hardware for the CPC.

ralferoo

I was one of the downloaders. I don't have any need for one of these boards, but I was just looking out of interest because I like looking at schematics and the boards looked nice from the photos. However it wasn't much use to me because the schematic was just the one from the DDI-1 repair manual and the board was made with some PCB software I've never heard of, so I couldn't open it to see if there was a schematic of yours in there.

The gerbers would be very useful if I wanted to produce one of these boards, but if I actually needed one then I'd rather buy one from you to support your project. I appreciate that you've done this and opened it up though, it's really nice for the community and it means that if you ever stop wanting to make them someone else can!

However, the nature of this kind of thing is that people generally don't respond. I remember several years ago, I released a new open source project that got 3000 downloads in the first week. The download link was next to a "please donate $1" button. I didn't get a single comment from anyone who downloaded it, and only a single $1 donation that was actually from a friend who didn't even download the software but just thought it was cool. So, personally I've learned not to expect too much from users!

Anyway, it's good you've done this and keep working on new things. At the end of the day, if you enjoy it, do it and even if something doesn't get a great response, if it's useful to you it's bound to be useful to someone else, so keep sharing! :)