News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Opening a Plus/GX4000 cartridge

Started by redbox, 09:51, 25 October 10

Previous topic - Next topic

redbox

Can anyone tell me how to open a Plus cartridge without breaking the plastic case?

CPC Rulez says use a screwdriver and open it delicately but doesn't say how (I think, sorry for my poor French).

CPC Mania also has a guide but it looks like they broke the case when opening it as the hinges look snapped.

The hinges on this guide also look snapped.

Any ideas?

arnoldemu

Quote from: redbox on 09:51, 25 October 10
Can anyone tell me how to open a Plus cartridge without breaking the plastic case?

CPC Rulez says use a screwdriver and open it delicately but doesn't say how (I think, sorry for my poor French).

CPC Mania also has a guide but it looks like they broke the case when opening it as the hinges look snapped.

The hinges on this guide also look snapped.

Any ideas?
There are 2 tabs on each side.
Also there is a plastic pin near the back and towards the middle.
So you could squeeze the tabs and then gently open it because the plastic pin always breaks.

Another alternative is to say "forget it", and to use a craft knife and gently cut around the edges. Then fix it back together.

I've also opened a cart, but i broke the hinges and the pin ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

spybro

20% propability not to break them
time is not gentle with 20 year old plastic :(

redbox

Think I will use a craft knife and squeeze...

A nice guide on cleaning cartridges is on CPC Rulez too (in French, c'est vrai  ;) ).

jbaudrand

I just got an answer on phenix (french site):
use a hair dryer to make the plastic more "tender" (sorry my english vocabulary can't find better)
use two electronic screwdriver to push hard on each clips on the same side
it's not 100% success.

i'll wait for a finished game before try to kill my 3 cartridges...

Bryce

I haven't ever opened a CPC cartridge, but many other devices with similar clips. so here's some tips which might increase the chance of not breaking the clips.

1) Leave the cartridge on a radiator for a while to warm it up.

2) Put the cartridge in a bench vice just holding the bottom half of the cartridge (the side with the clips on it). With the vice you can finely control how much pressure you use to squeeze the case. Squeeze the bottom half as much as possible (without breaking it) to force the clips inwards.

3) I use a metal ruler, made of very thin hard metal to prize the slit open. The larger the area you're putting pressure on, the less likely you are of cracking it or leaving nasty marks like the ones seen in the CPC Mania Pictures.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 12:20, 25 October 10
1) Leave  for a while to warm it up.

2) holding the bottom half .. Squeeze the bottom half as much as possible (without breaking it)

Opening a cartridge is very much like making love to a beautiful woman  :laugh:

Don't forget to talk to it nice, and it'll open in your hands.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Yeah, but don't suggest using the bench vice or a screw driver, that turns them right off :D

Bryce.

redbox

Thanks...!

I'll see how I get on (once I've explained to the wife why I've borrowed her hairdryer and am holding it over a 20 year old computer cartridge).

BluesBrothers

Quote from: redbox on 16:01, 25 October 10
Thanks...!

I'll see how I get on (once I've explained to the wife why I've borrowed her hairdryer and am holding it over a 20 year old computer cartridge).
I dunno, I've met one or two fairly scary girls in my time who might quite enjoy it.