News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Order : Bryce's mouse adapter for CPC

Started by talrek, 11:33, 18 September 14

Previous topic - Next topic

talrek

Hi,
after discussions on another topic, i saw some people wanted a PS2 adapter mouse for CPC. It is the Bryce model  ;D

Here is some pictures

You can pre-order one just by saying "i want one !!! " and by sending me a PM also  :)

i will make 10, 15 or even 20 adapters , it depends if people are interested. I will not do more, because i have also a private life with wife and kids to take care of  :-*

Pre-ordering will be close monday ;-)

For the price : 22 euros

Quantity ordered : 3

CraigsBar

I want one !!!!

PM sent
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Munchausen

I already have one for my CPC, but I'm going to say I want another one because I'm really hoping that the PCW will see its AY card happen and SymbOS will support the mouse through the joystick port!

Bryce

Hi Talrek,
     looks really nice, but this is the very first version. The later version had a USB connector and also auto-detected everything, so the DIP switch wasn't required any more. Why did you go for the older version?

Bryce.

radu14m

talrek

Quote from: Bryce on 13:01, 18 September 14
Hi Talrek,
     looks really nice, but this is the very first version. The later version had a USB connector and also auto-detected everything, so the DIP switch wasn't required any more. Why did you go for the older version?

Bryce.

I first made this version because i had a ps2 mouse lol.

So if evertbody wants usb, so be it :) no problem for me :)

CraigsBar

I don't mind... What do the switches do?

radu14m

me neither :) i want the later version too  ;D

is working for cpc and cpc+, right ?

talrek

One is to put the mouse wheel on/off
The second is for compatibility issues.

Bryce

One switch turns the scroll wheel on/off (still on the later version as jumper), the other forced the mouse to "basic mode", ie: 2 button, no extras, but this got deleted after I improved the software. The USB socket just made it easier to use modern mice, PS/2 mice still work with it.

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTEC 8000X mit Tapatalk 2.

CraigsBar

Quote from: talrek on 15:34, 18 September 14
I first made this version because i had a ps2 mouse lol.

So if evertbody wants usb, so be it :) no problem for me :)
Hmmm, Any chance of one of each? I have multiple CPC's and both mouse flavours.

Craig

talrek

Hi,
The only problem is quantities. Making less rgan 10 pcbs is not interesting : it could be expensive.
So. Make usb and ps2 means to order at least 2 x 10 pcbs.

I never tried if an usb/ps2 adapter. May be it works...
But if there is 20 peiple interested, i could do both versions.

CraigsBar

Quote from: talrek on 09:06, 19 September 14
Hi,
The only problem is quantities. Making less rgan 10 pcbs is not interesting : it could be expensive.
So. Make usb and ps2 means to order at least 2 x 10 pcbs.

I never tried if an usb/ps2 adapter. May be it works...
But if there is 20 peiple interested, i could do both versions.
ok, here's hoping that there is interest then ;-) otherwise just one ps/2 version will be fine for me. I do still have a couple of symbifaces after all

TotO

As you know (it was written by Bryce on the cpcwiki page), the parts for building the mouse adapters cost less than 7€.
Adding to that the PCB prices and the shippings, I suggest that each board cost around 10/12€ for 10pcs.
Selling each 22€, is 10€ margin for each board... So, it's strange to read that is not viable to build less than 10pcs.
A little math show that 6pcs allows to cover all the fees for them and the nexts are pure benefits for you. :)

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

Quote from: TotO on 10:18, 19 September 14
As you know (it was written by Bryce on the cpcwiki page), the parts for building the mouse adapters cost less than 7€.
Adding to that the PCB prices and the shippings, I suggest that each board cost around 10/12€ for 10pcs.
Selling each 22€, is 10€ margin for each board... So, it's strange to read that is not viable to build less than 10pcs.
A little math show that 6pcs allows to cover all the fees for them and the nexts are pure benefits for you. :)

That's a bit unfair. There's no way that there's a €10 margin on each board. For a start the PCBs will never cost €5 if you are ordering only 10 unless you've sold your soul to the devil and had them made in China (which I definitely don't approve of). You also seem to forget that solder cost money, cleaning fluids cost money, electricity cost money. You can't price something by parts price alone. If you do you are underselling and subsidising the device. €22 is a very fair price.

@Talrek: Yes the mouse interface works with a PS/2 -> USB adapter.

Bryce.

Edit: Just checked with my PCB supplier. For 10 or less PCBs the boards would cost about €12 per board (FR4-16, Single-sided, HAL, soldermask, silkscreen).

remax

I ordered one a month ago ans it works very well.
Brain Radioactivity

TotO

Bryce, when you order your parts at reichelt.de, do you know that they came from China and stored in Germany to be delivered to Europe?
Is your soul more clear, because your pay with euro currency? Sorry, you buy china parts.  ;)

About the adapter price, it's not the problem.
I just think that is sad to not build them because less than 10 peoples are interested since only 1 day.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

talrek

Thank you Remax  ;D  happy to read you are satisfied.

And to respond , i never said i will not do that, I just wait , and I'll see.
Monday i will order 10 pcb even for 3 peoples... but i don't really want to order 20 pcbs for 4 peoples.... that's all. I'm really sorry  :-[

Quote from: CraigsBar on 10:10, 19 September 14ok, here's hoping that there is interest then ;-) otherwise just one ps/2 version will be fine for me. I do still have a couple of symbifaces after all

A couple of symbifaces ??? :o :o :o
have you thought about selling one of these  ;D  ???

Bryce

Quote from: TotO on 15:36, 19 September 14
Bryce, when you order your parts at reichelt.de, do you know that they came from China and stored in Germany to be delivered to Europe?
Is your soul more clear, because your pay with euro currency? Sorry, you buy china parts.  ;)

About the adapter price, it's not the problem.
I just think that is sad to not build them because less than 10 peoples are interested since only 1 day.

I'm not stupid, of course I know the parts originated in China, but PCB production (as I was talking about) and also EU parts distribution provides jobs in the EU. Big industry have abandoned these smaller companies, but that's no reason why the hobbyists should. Even if it costs a little more.

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTEC 8000X mit Tapatalk 2.

CraigsBar

Quote from: talrek on 19:37, 19 September 14
A couple of symbifaces ??? :o :o :o
have you thought about selling one of these  ;D ???

Well if Toto (or someone else) Designs and makes a MX4 compatible card that has Symbiface compatible PS/2, RTC and IDE/SD card then I certainly can sell one

My MX4 has one slot left so a combo card of those 3 devices would be perfect.

So there you go hardware peeps, the challenge is set! make a sweet little card with 2 SD slots (Mapped to IDE Primary and IDE Slave) a RTC and a PS/2 (Or USB) mouse port and I'll be able to sell my spare Symbiface LOL.

I guess with a Mouse adaptor all I'd really need on the 'New' MX4 card would be a IDE/SD and RTC. But a non joystick (Higher Resolution and 3 button supported) mouse is always gonna win for Symbos and Cyber Chicken in my book ;)

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 22:03, 19 September 14PCB production and also EU parts distribution provides jobs in the EU. Big industry have abandoned these smaller companies, but that's no reason why the hobbyists should. Even if it costs a little more.
Job in Europe for the same industry that doesn't want to sell to hobbysts PCB under 100pcs quantity 15 years ago and said me "DIY" ? ;)
When I done them myself, each 10x10cm PCB cost me around 40F (6€). So, no, I'm not OK to pay 12€ for a 5x2.5cm PCB (sold by ten) when they cost to them around 2€ each. STOP to think that peoples are dumb!

CraigsBar

I found these guys very reasonable when I needed 2 pcbs making a few years ago.
http://www.gjg.co.uk

Craig

Roland

Hi All, Hi Talrek!

I'm new to the forum and did not take the time to introduce myself on my profile, sorry, will do anytime soon.

Talrek,
I'm in for 4 of them but would rather get them as bare kits to build myself later on. Would there be any pricing rebate then?
I live downtown Paris and will send you a PM today.

Cheers,

Roland

Prodatron

Hi Talrek,

I am interested in 2 of these. If possible the USB version. I would even take 3, if these could be all USB then :)

CU,
Prodatron

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

ralferoo

FWIW, when I got the PCBs made for my FPGA emualtor, the first board was 80x60mm and cost $60+$20 shipping for 3 boards, so that's $26 per board. For the second board, I went with one of the cheapest Chinese company I could find, this board was a bit bigger, just under 80x100mm and only because I ordered 25 boards did I get the price down to about $9 per board. If I'd bought the 10 boards I actually wanted, the price was around $18 per board. I paid more on the offchance the board did everything I wanted exactly (and not surprisingly, I still want to make further changes!) All these boards were only 2 layer for this price, 4 layer boards cost much, much more...

There are some cheaper PCB manufacturers that have opened up since, but they tend to be a bit sketchier. The absolute cheapest I've found is Dirt Cheap Dirty Boards but I've had used them yet. It's telling though, that for their headline price you're not guaranteed 10 boards just somewhere between 8 and 12 and they make no guarantees about the quality of the board. That said, it's cheap enough it's worth trying out... :)

But, in general, unless you're making a LOT of PCBs, the cost of the PCB is usually very significant.