News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

PC - 6128 file transfers, what are my options?

Started by JonB, 10:01, 23 March 17

Previous topic - Next topic

JonB

Hi

I'm beginning development of the uIDE-16 driver. As part of the development cycle, I need to regularly transfer binary files to my 6128. It is equipped with the standard 3" floppy and a 3.5" floppy.

I also have a PCW 9512 with 3.5 and 3" floppies. This machine runs a copy of 2in1 which allows transfer between a DOS formatted 3.5" disk and a PCW formatted 3" disk. Problem is, it can't read the 6128 CP/M format, and the 6128 cannot read the PCW CP/M format.

Is there a similar utility for the 6128 (that allows it to read a DOS formatted disk)?

I have a PC with a built in floppy. I could use CPCDiskXP to copy an entire image to a floppy that the 6128 can read, but this would be time consuming, given that I have to do this repeatedly.

I don't have a 6128 serial adapter.

What other ways can I get files routinely onto the 6128 (under CP/M Plus)?

freemac

Tape : in 464 you can launch games from a simple MP3 player.

rpalmer

There are various file-systems (HDOS, ImpDOS, etc) which can transfer files between a 6128 and a DOS formatted media (e.g SD, CF, IDE-HD).

You can also use SymBOS to transfer files as well.

As for transfers via CP/M i'm afraid you will be limited to 80's/90's protocols like kermit, etc and most modern PCs no longer have that support.
The RS-232 interface might be usable, but again most modern PCs no longer a "COM" port as they now use USB and ethernet for serial transfers. However older one have a COM port and serial transfers via that are hard to come by now a days.

rpalmer

Audronic

Quote from: JonB on 10:01, 23 March 17
Hi

I don't have a 6128 serial adapter.

What other ways can I get files routinely onto the 6128 (under CP/M Plus)?
Hi JonB

Would this help

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/classifieds/amstrad-rs232c-for-cpc-4646646128-with-centronics-connectors-(australia)

Page 2 down the bottom.
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

JonB

GeoffB17

Jon,

Why can't you read the disks?   Your story is missing important info.

As far as I'm aware, the formats of the PCW and the 6128 should be compatible.

BUT.

You may not be using a 'normal' 6128, and you are NOT using a 'normal' PCW, so we need to get you back to 'normal'?

I THINK that the normal 3" format for the 6128 will be SSSD, i.e. 40T.   I do not know what the normal 3.5" format will be, that may be 80T similar to the normal 3" and 3.5" B: formats for the PCW.

A 'normal' PCW should be able to handle the 3" format.   But there are problems moving a SSSD disk between a SSSD drive and a DSDD drive, esp if you try to WRITE on both.

If both machines can handle a 3.5" drive, and both drives are 80T, this should reduce problems, but are both using the same format (i.e. an Amstrad 80T 730k)?

So, just what are you trying to do, and when you try, what sort of error are you getting?   I would have thought that it SHOULD be possible to get a disk that can be used in both.

Geoff

JonB

Yeah, me too :(

I can read the MS-DOS disk on the PCW with 2in1.

However, inserting a single sided 3" disk in its Drive B and 2in1 says "unrecognised format" (but logs the disk in anyway). Won't write to it.
Other way round: format SS on the 8256. 6128 refuses to read it, but 2in1 will write to it.

Only way I found so far is add the file I want to transfer to a disk image, then copy entire image to disk with CPCDiscXP on a separate PC that has an internal floppy. And even then it does not always work properly, I got a binary (RSX) file comprising of E5h.

Gotta say, it's hard enough finding out how to build an RSX file without this cr@p to deal with.. sheesh!

if I buy Audronic's serial adapter, will Kermit work on it? I have a special version for the PCW that recognises the CPS8256 SIO adapter. If I copy it across, I bet it will fail...

HAL6128

There is a CP/M Accessory Roms (http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/CPM_Accessory_ROM_1) with an RSX (PCW) available which should enable you reading the PCW format. I didn't test it, maybe it helps?
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

GeoffB17

Jon,

Yes, you've got a tangle here!

I assume the 6128 3" drive is SSSD.   If you format a disk in that drive, the PCW should read/recognise it.   It's NOT a normal PCW format, I think, but it's within the range that the PCW will accept.

BUT, if you've got a DSDD drive on the PCW[size=78%], if you try to write to that disk on the PCW, then you'll get problems (writing 80T data onto an existing 40T track will leave BOTH data sets readable, hence garbage).[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]If you can format the disk SSSD on the PCW, then you MUST erase the disk, both sides, with a magnet first.   Then, if you can write to that DISK ONLY on the PCW, and read ONLY on the 6128, you might get somewhere?   If you write on the 6128, then you might read on the PCW immed after, but then you must assume the disk format is now dud and start from the beginning with the magnet, and the new format.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]I don't know why the 3.5" format is a problem.   I would have expected them to be more compatible.   Not sure why you're using the '2in1' - this should not be necessary if both machines are using an amstrad format.   Or is there some extra mess due to one or other machine NOT using a standard amstrad format?[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Geoff[/size]
[/size]
[/size]

HAL6128

The BDOS (BonnyDOS) ROMs also provides RSX (like |FCAT, | FGET etc.) to read FAT12 (MS-DOS formatted) 80 tracks discs and files.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

JonB

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 23:08, 23 March 17
Jon,

Yes, you've got a tangle here!

Yes indeedy!

I assume the 6128 3" drive is SSSD.   If you format a disk in that drive, the PCW should read/recognise it.   It's NOT a normal PCW format, I think, but it's within the range that the PCW will accept.

Yes, SSSD I think, it is a standard 6128 drive.

BUT, if you've got a DSDD drive on the PCW, if you try to write to that disk on the PCW, then you'll get problems (writing 80T data onto an existing 40T track will leave BOTH data sets readable, hence garbage).

If you can format the disk SSSD on the PCW, then you MUST erase the disk, both sides, with a magnet first.   Then, if you can write to that DISK ONLY on the PCW, and read ONLY on the 6128, you might get somewhere?   If you write on the 6128, then you might read on the PCW immed after, but then you must assume the disk format is now dud and start from the beginning with the magnet, and the new format.

I don't know why the 3.5" format is a problem.   I would have expected them to be more compatible.   Not sure why you're using the '2in1' - this should not be necessary if both machines are using an amstrad format.   Or is there some extra mess due to one or other machine NOT using a standard amstrad format?

Geoff

I use 2in1 to get files from the PC FAT formatted floppy to the Amstrad 3 inch "world" on a PCW9512, but it's equipped with a DSDD 3" drive. The reason is that I am using the PC for the 6128 uIDE driver development environment. Each development cycle yields a CP/M Plus RSX file, which must then be transferred somehow to the 6128 for testing. I will try it like this:

PC Floppy -> PCW 9512 + 2in1 -> CF2DD floppy -> PCW 8512 -> CF2 floppy -> 6128

^ clearly, this is mad!

JonB

OK, I think I have something workable:

PC -> Kermit over Serial -> PCW with SIO and 6128 formatted floppy -> 6128

Not as direct as PC -> Kermit over Serial -> 6128, but then I have no 6128 serial adapter.

arnoldemu

I use a tape lead connected to the pc and cpc6128, generate a tape with 2cdt and use playtzx to generate a wav which I play. 2cdt has an option to 2 block files which speeds up loading time a bit.
This works well if it's about 30k. Simple and works with every PC.

Alternatively, for plus, I use cpcxfs, nocart and c4cpc to write a disk to a cart which then runs on a 6128 or gx4000 :)

In the past I have used a cpcbooster or a minibooster and writedsk to transfer a whole dsk to cpc6128.

If you have a pc with 3.5" drive you could use double density (720k) pc discs and use doscopy on the cpc.

Or, you could patch the CPC's XPDB to read PCW 178k discs, or spectrum +3 (are they the same??):

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/are-amstrad-and-spectrum-disk-formats-the-same/

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource