News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Possible new hardware project for tape fans.

Started by Bryce, 10:19, 22 August 16

Previous topic - Next topic

MaV

Quote from: TFM on 21:29, 22 August 16
But we could establish a tape protocol being identical for all computers, and this way having an easy solution for data exchange.  ;)

<demeanour person="Snotty Mcsnotsnot">Do you really want our pedigree CPC to speak with the riff raff? :P</demeanour>
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

AMSDOS

My 6128 came with a proper Data Recorder, which had no Volume control to worry about.

The only funny thing about it was some of the tapes won't load on it (including the odd AA Covertape), so I could Dub those tapes to a TDK tape, which worked every-time (which I've probably said before).  :D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Lazy Dude

All hail the TDK.
Those things last forever

Bryce

Quote from: AMSDOS on 10:04, 23 August 16
My 6128 came with a proper Data Recorder, which had no Volume control to worry about.

The only funny thing about it was some of the tapes won't load on it (including the odd AA Covertape), so I could Dub those tapes to a TDK tape, which worked every-time (which I've probably said before).  :D

I'm hoping my device would load these too. The chances are that the original tape was recorded at too low a level and as your Data Recorder didn't have a volume knob you couldn't turn it up. With level detection you would know if it was too low.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 08:30, 23 August 16
Because for example the Spectrum 48K has a DC blocking capacitor inside, so 1's and 0's wouldn't ever make it to the ULA.
Bryce.

Can you elaborate on this?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

SRS

Quote from: TFM on 21:29, 22 August 16
But we could establish a tape protocol being identical for all computers, and this way having an easy solution for data exchange.  ;)

Ah well, we kind of have that since ages. Even with LP'S.

BASICODE – Wikipedia

For CPC it is
BASICODE 2

Bryce

Quote from: TFM on 17:32, 23 August 16

Can you elaborate on this?

No problem. If you take a look at the attachment below, this is the "Ear" input on the ZX Spectrum where data from the cassette passes through. C32 is a 100nf capacitor in series with the signal. A series capacitor blocks DC signals and only lets AC through. A "1" is a DC 5V and a "0" is a DC 0V, so if you were sending 1's and 0's to the Spectrum ear port (ie: digital data), the bits would only make it as far as the left terminal of this capacitor. On the other side of the capacitor there would be no meaningful signal and the ULA wouldn't recieve any data.

Bryce.

Executioner

Quote from: Bryce on 08:30, 23 August 16
@Executioner: With Dukes Wifi card is there are use for a LAN card any more?

That depends on how well the asynchronous socket API ends up working. The biggest problem I have is knowing how to emulate the M4 board and I already started on W5100 emulation.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Bryce on 14:32, 23 August 16
I'm hoping my device would load these too. The chances are that the original tape was recorded at too low a level and as your Data Recorder didn't have a volume knob you couldn't turn it up. With level detection you would know if it was too low.

Bryce.

It's a possibility I suppose when a tape has been recorded with a recorder with Volume Level that Volume Level is too low and my Recorder has problems reading it. Personally I never had any problems from the Saved programs I'd typed-in, though was only using SPEED WRITE 1 which was never an issue for my Tape Player (which would of included the Tapes it had problems with). So it's possible I guess that Dubbing the tape might of corrected the Volume Level problem?
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3