News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

problem with 6128 internal drive

Started by tazzman, 14:44, 28 November 12

Previous topic - Next topic

tazzman

Hi All, I have a bit of an issue with the disk drive on my 6128. I bought it a few months ago, but due to house move and life in general getting in the way have not had a chance to play with it fully. Anyway when I bought it chap who sold it told me he had changed drive belt and the drive does work in that it loads from  disks, the problem I have is that it does not save anything to disks. :( 
It comes up with Disk A is write protected...even when holes are open. Any ideas? If memory serves me correct I think it has something to do with a pin that can fall out when changing the belt? Is this an easy fix.

Thank you.
As a P.S. does anyone know where I can get the tape connector cables to connect a portable cassette recorder to  the computer?
Thanks Again

Bryce

Yup, sounds like the seller managed to loose the pin. Unless you intend scouring the carpet in his living room and going through his vacuum cleaners bag, then you'll need to source a new one. Luckily the pin is quite a simple piece of metal, so you should be able to fashion one from a suitably sized nail or something similar.

You can buy the tapedeck cable on Fleabay UK, or just make one yourself if you can solder.

Bryce.

Terje_Norway

Hi,

You could have a look at the following page to get more information :

Servicing the Amstrad CPC6128 Disk Drive

There You'll see, amongst other things, the location of the pin and what it looks like ! ! !

As for the tape lead, You could check out the following auction on Ebay (Excellent quality and service, even if it's a 'bit' expensive ! !)

Amstrad CPC 6128 High Quality Cassette Tape Leads Cable | eBay

Yours

Terje Grind
NORWAY

tazzman

Hello,
Thanks for the info, a big help. I will have a go at making a pin from a nail thank you Bryce for that idea. Thanks Terje for that link to eBay

Simon

Bryce

If you need the exact dimensions, I can take one out of a drive and measure it up.

Bryce.

tazzman

Hi Bryce,
Yes please that would be a great help
Thank you
Simon

00WReX

I had a funny one a while ago with a 6128.
Previous owner had indicated a new drive belt had been fitted.
As I do, I opened up the CPC case when I received it and found the write protect pin stuck to the magnet of the internal speaker.
This was before I'd made any attempt to write to the drive...

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Bryce

If you're really lucky, the pin could even be lodged somewhere inside the drive too. I'd take a good look before I'd make a new one.

Bryce.

tazzman

Hello again :D
Well I have taken the computer apart - thank you Terje for that data serve retro link - I had a good look once the drive  was out but could not  find any pin. The recess was there as per the diagram but sitting directly above it on the control board are a small black thingy could this be one of the light activated write protection drive's?

Anyway found a small pin/nail that fitted in the slot, but not sure how far it should go in?
I did clean the capstan roller which had the remains of an older belt still wrapped round it.
Any suggestions?
Thank you all again

Simon

Bryce

Hi Tazzman,
            I just made a quick guide to loosing the write-pin here: Help, I changed the drive-belt and now my disk drive is suddenly read-only?
I've added the exact dimensions at the bottom, for those who don't manage to find it.

Bryce.

tazzman

Hi Bryce,
Thank you for that guide,very helpful. I have the 3rd option of the black contacts on my drive so will now raid the tool box for a suitable nail. Just one thing I'm still not clear about is how far in does the pin go, all the way so the top (dome) is flush with metal base, or level with the screw mounting hole?
Thanks again for all the help from everyone.

Simon

Bryce

The pin slides freely within the hole, so if you drop it in while no disk is inserted, then it will go in all the way and the head will lie against the aluminium frame. If you insert a non-write protected disk, you'll see that the pin pops up slightly out of the hole and actuates the switch. If the nail shaft is 9mm long and thin enough to move freely, then it should work fine.

In the second picture of the guide you can see the pin in place, with just the head showing.

Bryce.