News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Problem with Amstrad 464 plus

Started by WiZkiD, 19:06, 11 November 13

Previous topic - Next topic

WiZkiD

Hi guys, I'm new in this wonderfull forum and I would like to know if someone may help me with a problem that is occurred this morning with my Amstrad 464 plus.
I disconnected the power supply purchased from Retrocomputer Shack and now the computer is dead. I wonder if this model has or not a fuse and if the problem is connected to it or  may be something else.

thanks alot in advance for the replies  :)
WiZkiD

endangermice

As far as I can remember the plus is like the CPC range in that it relies on the monitor or modulator power source for its protections d therefore has no internal fuses.

Do you have a multimeter handy? It would be a good idea to test the voltage coming out of the power supply, hopefully it has failed and not the Amstrad.
For all the latest Starquake remake news check out my website - www.endangermice.co.uk

MacDeath

QuoteProblem with Amstrad 464 plus
let me guess... No counter on the tape drive, also tape drive and no disk drive, 64K only... yeah it sure has a lot of problems... still it is a PLUS anyway. ;)

Bryce

Hi and welcome to the forum. Does the power LED light? If not, the power supply has most likely died. If the LED goes on, then the problem is inside the CPC unfortunately.

Bryce.

WiZkiD

Hi guys and thanks for the fast replies, I've tried another power supply and the result is the same, the power led of the 464 doesn't light. I've tested the power supply with a multimeter and it works, some suggestion?

thanks,
WiZkiD

Bryce

Either the power socket or the power switch on the CPC has broken. Try finding 5V on the main PCB (across any of the IC smoothing capacitors is probably easiest) when it's switched on.

Bryce.

WiZkiD

Thank you Bryce  ;) problem solved, the malfunction was due to the bad soldering of one of the power switch wires.

thanks you all guys, now I can go back to play Camelot Warrior  :P

Bryce

Good to hear it was something simple. Hang around the Forum a bit longer anyway. There's always new things to learn here :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

A bit late, but... welcome mate :)

Nice to see it was a simple fix. I didn't know the Plus range also suffered from bad solder in the power line!