News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Problems with (sigh) disk drive... or is it the disks?

Started by cwpab, 00:42, 07 March 13

Previous topic - Next topic

cwpab

Hello,

Just received a 6128 today.

I have been testing my (previously untested) 9 disks, along with the one included on the package.

Results:

- I was able to see the content of the disks with CAT several hours ago.

- At the moment I can only do that in 2 or 3.

- Even on the ones where CAT returns something, executing BAS files fails often.

- It's like the disks are progressively getting scratched or something. (I can see circular scratches on the black plastic inside)

Questions:

- Could it be a matter of dust on the disks which is being dragged, scratching the writable surface of the disk and damaging it?

- Is the disk drive to blame (I hope not)?

- Any solution / troubleshooting which doesn't involve opening the CPC? I probably should test with an original, unscratched, tested disk from a game, or something, but I don't have that at the moment.

Thanks in avance  :)

TFM

Well, you need probably a new drive belt.

To check that: Format a disc save some files on it, when you can read it couple of times without errors, then the drive is ok, and the other discs are a problem. Or your drive head is not justified.

But usually it's the drive belt, when it is not in use for a long time then it gets bad.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

cwpab

Thanks for the tip!

The thing is, the seller said that the drive belt had just been replaced.

Of course he might be lying...

I believe I will finally be using a floppy emulator as drive A. But I will keep the floppys, they look so cool.

TFM

Ok, try to get a disc with CP/M, you can use the DISCKIT2/3 program then to format a disc and check if the discs are the problem or the drive.

The HxC is great for sure, but I like to have real 3" discs too. IMHO they are the most reliable discs ever made. My first discs (Panasonic) from the 80ies still all work flawless.

However sometimes different 3" drives have the head adjusted differently, in few times this can lead to problems: If a disc is formatted / written on one 'extreme' floppy and read on a drive which has the head on the other 'extreme' "end" over the track. Sorry, I can't make this more clear in English.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

yoshi.doshi

Quote from: cwpab on 00:42, 07 March 13
Hello,

Just received a 6128 today.

I have been testing my (previously untested) 9 disks, along with the one included on the package.

Results:

- I was able to see the content of the disks with CAT several hours ago.

- At the moment I can only do that in 2 or 3.

- Even on the ones where CAT returns something, executing BAS files fails often.

- It's like the disks are progressively getting scratched or something. (I can see circular scratches on the black plastic inside)

Questions:

- Could it be a matter of dust on the disks which is being dragged, scratching the writable surface of the disk and damaging it?

- Is the disk drive to blame (I hope not)?

- Any solution / troubleshooting which doesn't involve opening the CPC? I probably should test with an original, unscratched, tested disk from a game, or something, but I don't have that at the moment.

Thanks in avance  :)

Unfortunately if you are progressively getting the "white rings of death" when you open the discs shutter then the discs are definetely contaminated.
This becomes unrescuable quite quickly

Personally i have rescued temperamental discs iv'e bought by  hoovering out any fluff/ dust (pipe atachment)  and then  gently cleaning with  plenty of cotton buds + a small helping of head cleaning fluid ,, removing fingerprints etc turning the disc cm by cm!!kind of a last resort but  great when you bring one back to life!!
unfortunately  if the discs are a bit grubby internally this is then easily passed on to say the ddi or 6128's drive head and this will make fails more prominant. But to find out you have to open up the drive which you may not want to do!!
Also ive had success with old drives after chnaging the belt etc  just ruffing up the pad  a bit "on arm above the head" as this often becomes compacted and tough over time and might not be providing a good fit.

Good luck and hope it all works out soon!! 

Gryzor

Rings on the disc have nothing to do with the belt. I'd say it's either some dust on them or the drive's head is getting a bit too much hands-on with the disc surface. Can you procure a known good disk you don't mind destroying and see if the same happens?

Velktron

I've seen the same problem happening with PC 3.5" drives -almost no floppies in my university's computer lab worked or got damaged very quickly to the point where it was impossible to exchange a floppy between two underlying machine. That is,  UNTIL I started blowing inside the floppy drives themselves before sticking a floppy in there.

Dust..... much more likely to get on the floppy's head, especially if it's nearly 20 years old, than a well-built 3" floppy.

As I also have a lot of cassette decks, dust can really pile up and play nasty tricks to media and heads, if left uncleaned for decades.

MacDeath

Your main problem is that you didn't invest into a classy 80€uro HxC Floppy emulator solution...
:P

(but to be honnest, I didn't too... :-[ ...yet...)