News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

progress of ide/8255 for CPC

Started by rpalmer, 12:04, 21 April 11

Previous topic - Next topic

rpalmer

Hello all,

I have finally managed to create a double sided PCB of the IDE/8255 interface based on my original one.

I have not yet tested the PCB interface, but I am confident that all is okay.

I will soon get the costs to make a batch of them say 10-20 and then take it to the next step.  I will also post a breakdown of the costs for each bit.

The original tested ok with FAT16/32 and I am also looking at patching AMSDOS/ParaDOS to allow for a virtual floppy drive on the Harddisk, so that the programs already on the net can be used via the virtual drive. It would be cool to boot CP/M, Symbos, FutureOS, etc from the Harddisk.

regards
rpalmer

Ynot.zer0

Am liking the project!!

Stick me in the queue for a pre-built board from the first batch (PM the cost and I'll pay you upfront if it's easier for you)

Bryce

Gryzor

Ooh nice... more hardware to buy, dammit :D

Do write something about what it can do and what it can be used for... :)

TFM

Thanks for the update! Great to see this project going on!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

rpalmer

hello all,

Well i have to say that the PCB version of the IDE interface works, however the 8255 chip in my previous post of the interface appears to be cactus, so i changed it with the prototype board and voila all worked. I also had a two track corrections which is no big deal, but the eagle files have been updated to reflect the corrections.

I have done a draft look at getting a board built using current AUS and US prices and it would seem that the cost to build one would be about $40 to $50 AUS.

So it would seem that if anyone wants to buy it i will bulk buy all the stuff and built the whole lot in batches.  The first batch of about 10 will be built first before i can make them available as I would need to know how long it takes to build it so i know how many i can do in a week when i have all the parts.

The costs of delivery will be by normal post via Australia Post (unless the buyer wishes to use other postal services).  I will check with the post office for more detailed cost breakdown.

The drivers ROM is expected to be about $10 - $15 AUS .

Regards
rpalmer

dragon

I have done a draft look at getting a board built using current AUS and   US prices and it would seem that the cost to build one would be about   $40 to $50 AUS.

mmm,I Think is more expensive.

Because if you send it from australia to europe. You have to pass aduane europe.

I don't know the case of rest of europe,but in spain:

If Send is a particular (the case  I think). >45e= price+iva(18%) >150 iva +tariffs

If send is trading company >22e= price+iva(18%).

>150= price+iva+tariffs.

It compute all cost,price packet+price send packet. So.

If stop in aduane,it can cost more 60e  in spain case easy.

rpalmer

hello dragon,

I hope that the costs for EU people are not a barrier, as I cannot make the interface any cheaper then what i shown in the parts list.

The building of the interface is being done as my home hobby and not as a company.

I checked the postal charges for the delivery of the interface and it would seem to be about $20 AUS for me to send the item outside of AUS direct to the purchaser.

regards
rpalmer

TFM

Hi,

Maybe Lotharek or somebody else in Europe would like to produce them in lizence.

Further, if you send a pack of f.e. 10 boards at once, then they can be delivered inside Europe more cheap.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

So you're planning to register a company and sell these as normal products? Because if not there's no need to mess with VATs and custom duties...

rpalmer

hi gryzor,

I plan do this from home as a hobby only and not as a "Company".

rpalmer

Gryzor

Then no VAT applies and neither do customs...

Bryce

That depends on the country you are in! I'm not 100% sure, but in Germany you can earn up to ~1700€ per year with your "hobby" but then you have to pay tax on it after that. Customs always applies, whether it's for hobby or not. I've had to pay customs on componments from China in the past. But that's not rpalmers problem, the reciever pays this, not the sender.

Bryce.

CPCIak

Ok, I'll try it myself.
Bryce, could you please tell my which connector I need for my cpc6128?
In German it's called "6PIN DIN-Rundstecker": I remember someone here in the forum had the same problem. He couldn't find the correct one. There're too many variants available at Conrad.

Please have a look at the picture, if you don't know what I mean.
I think it's this one: http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/737453/STECKER-DIN-6-POLIG-MAS-60-GRAU/0223121&ref=list

Bryce

If it's a classic (non-plus) 6128 you have, then you need Type 6. In the Reichelt catalogue it's called MAS 60.

Bryce.

Edit: Oooh, the picture suddenly changed. Yes, that's the right one.

2nd Edit: Oops, we're on the wrong thread? How did that happen?

CPCIak

I've posted the 6Pin Din Stecker question in your S-Video Modulator thread, Bryce.
Gryzor, what's going wrong here?

Gryzor

Wait... what? Hmmmm, db FUBAR. Can't look into it right now, will try later :(

xesrjb

I'm interested!

xesrjb

Quote from: rpalmer on 12:04, 21 April 11
Hello all,

I have finally managed to create a double sided PCB of the IDE/8255 interface based on my original one.

I have not yet tested the PCB interface, but I am confident that all is okay.

I will soon get the costs to make a batch of them say 10-20 and then take it to the next step.  I will also post a breakdown of the costs for each bit.

The original tested ok with FAT16/32 and I am also looking at patching AMSDOS/ParaDOS to allow for a virtual floppy drive on the Harddisk, so that the programs already on the net can be used via the virtual drive. It would be cool to boot CP/M, Symbos, FutureOS, etc from the Harddisk.

regards
rpalmer
,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

rpalmer

hello all,

I should state that i live in Australia, so i dont know why my forum id does not show the aus flag to indicate this.

Regards
rpalmer

rpalmer

hello all again,

I fixed the flag identifier for the forums.

regards
rpalmer

TFM

Quote from: rpalmer on 21:26, 27 April 11
hello all again,

regards
rpalmer

It works now  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

Cpcmaniaco

Hello.

I am interested, too.

It you will make it, tell me.

I like all the CPC Hardware things.

Gryzor

Quote from: rpalmer on 21:26, 27 April 11
hello all again,

regards
rpalmer

Hum... you did what? How? :)

rpalmer

hello gryzor,

1.  Goto Profile -> Forum Profile -> "Please select your country"
2. Select country to get flag displayed.

I did not select it when i registered.

regardsrpalmer

Gryzor

Ah... I read it somewhat differently :D