News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

non-CPC specific hardware on CPC?

Started by zhulien, 14:40, 21 January 17

Previous topic - Next topic

zhulien

I am wondering if anyone has tried RC Systems's speech modules on a CPC?  I have almost no doubt the serial interface versions will work, however what interests me more are the parallel port ones - since these days I have no use for a printer... Is the CPC printer port (or 6128Plus 8bit port) suitable to drive one?  Info on using the RC Modules here:

What do you think of such like Emic 2 instead? 

I am actually leaning towards Emic 2 on the Minibooster...

Perhaps candidates for a parallel board, or Minibooster daughter board... or maybe someone wants to make an mx4 board?

zhulien

If speaking... then why not listen too?  Looks interesting for the Minibooster IO ports (what few there are)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ly-Rja6uNw

zhulien

PulkoMandy

The printer port is output only, but if that's all you need and you don't need to be too fast, it should work without problems. You can also use it as a slow software-driven UART or SPI port (using the only input, the BUSY pin). If you need more inputs, you can use the joystick port but it goes through the PPI. If you need anything more complex I would suggest turning to the expansion port and a custom interface board.

doragasu

Also the printer port (at least on the 6128) is 7-bit. Highest weight bit is discarded  :doh:

JonB

Needs a GPIO port on the expansion edge connector, then you can connect what you like. Add a character based FID for CP/M and you are cooking with gas..

Bryce

Absolutely anything that communicates over an 8-bit bus can be connected to a CPC. You just need put an address decoder between it and the CPC. The biggest challenge is usually getting software to make use of the new features.

Bryce.