News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Removing 6128 keys to clean....

Started by leibnitz27, 12:01, 15 September 12

Previous topic - Next topic

leibnitz27

Hopefully a really daft question!  I've got a yellowed 6128 which I'd like to restore to glory.

I've seen a few H202 cleaning suggestions, and someone posted this http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=31469 back in June...

But - I don't want to try levering the keys off willy nilly incase I break them!   What's the best way to remove individual keys?  Should I just lever them off?

Thanks!

arnoldemu

Quote from: leibnitz27 on 12:01, 15 September 12
Hopefully a really daft question!  I've got a yellowed 6128 which I'd like to restore to glory.

I've seen a few H202 cleaning suggestions, and someone posted this http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=31469 back in June...

But - I don't want to try levering the keys off willy nilly incase I break them!   What's the best way to remove individual keys?  Should I just lever them off?

Thanks!
yes but not for space bar and return I think, these have metal pieces under them. The others can be prised off, I've done it on a 6128.
Do it carefully and use a flat head screwdriver, they can be clipped back into place, remember to put the spring back too. it fits over the key and hole.

NOTE for others: On older 464 keyboards or 664 keyboards, don't try and prise them off, you may break them.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

leibnitz27

Gryzor

Space can be prised off the keyboard too, but you need to be careful and it's a bit trick to put back in. I really don't remember about Return...

Bryce

Lots of keys have stabiliser bars: Space, Shift, Enter, Return, etc. ie: most of the keys that are larger than the standard key. You prise them off exactly like the others, but then you need to click the metal bar out of its fixing before the key is completely free. It's not difficult, you just have to be gentle with it. Putting them back on is a bit fiddly, but not impossible. The bars are really fluff catchers, so it's worth cleaning them. You should also grease them slightly when you put them back together.

Bryce.