News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Repairs to a CPC6128

Started by Audronic, 07:47, 03 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

1024MAK

From those results (simulation of the keys) it does look like one of the AY-3-8912 I/O pins has internal circuitry damage.

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Audronic

HI Mark

Thanks i think that is correct, waiting some AY-3-8912's either arriving from China or Germany  I will see who gets here first.
I will now prepare the board with a new socket and Wait.
I will also put a socket strip in the place for the Resistor network just in case I am sent AY-3-8912(A).
I also have some 9 Pin 2.2k Resistor networks coming.

Ray

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Audronic

After 2 Weeks :-------

The AY-3-8912 arrived as an AY-3-8912A From China.
Put it in and it seems to work, Keyboard OK, Del Key Beeps..
Awaiting on Proper replacement AY-3--------- and for some resistor networks (2.2k) to add to the AY-3-8912A.
Its still a work in progress, i will have a look at the Floppy drive next and associated circuitry..
What an interesting Project.

Thanks to all that helped, commented.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

1024MAK

Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Audronic

The Saga continues, Some Good some Not so good.

The good part is that the Floppy interface is working. Phewwww. That would be a pain to fault find
As there are no Complete Floppy drive Circuits for the Mother board. MC0020B, Z70290, 40010.

The not so good :- 1) It is looking like that the Memory Bank 1 is Unwell.
                            2) The Floppy drive does all the actions steps in and out turns the disk but won't read the disk.
                                I have not had time to look at what is wrong Yet.

I have a 3.5" drive as drive B that i have used for running some test programs, this work good.
I am able to run From Drive A, (I have borrowed another 6128) CPM 2.2 , But am unable to run CPM 2+, it look like it's trying to use some Bank 1 Memory.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

gerald

Quote from: Audronic on 09:26, 30 November 15
The Saga continues, Some Good some Not so good.

The good part is that the Floppy interface is working. Phewwww. That would be a pain to fault find
As there are no Complete Floppy drive Circuits for the Mother board. MC0020B, Z70290, 40010.
There is  a chance that the drive section schematic in the amendment service manual, in the 6128 cost down section. The same data separator is used.

1) It is looking like that the Memory Bank 1 is Unwell.
I've attached a memory test that covers 512k expansion RAM.
It will test the 0x4000-0x7FFF main bank and all detected expansion 16K blocks.
If the extension RAM is dead and not detected, it will only test that single block.

2) The Floppy drive does all the actions steps in and out turns the disk but won't read the disk.
                                I have not had time to look at what is wrong Yet.
Did you change the drive belt ?

Bryce

You can use this program - (Run it from B: with the 3.5in drive or or run from A: using the 3.5in drive and then hotswap the drives). With option 5 you can do an RPM test to check that it's spinning at the right speed).

Bryce.

Audronic

Quote from: gerald on 10:15, 30 November 15
There is  a chance that the drive section schematic in the amendment service manual, in the 6128 cost down section. The same data separator is used.

Yes i found the missing links in the 646 and the Plus schematics.

I've attached a memory test that covers 512k expansion RAM.
It will test the 0x4000-0x7FFF main bank and all detected expansion 16K blocks.
If the extension RAM is dead and not detected, it will only test that single block.

Thanks for Memory tester

Did you change the drive belt ?

Yes the belt has been changed the disk spins. But no Read.

Thanks     Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Audronic

HI Bryce

I am unable to see the link ?

Thanks   Ray

Quote from: Bryce on 10:30, 30 November 15
You can use this program - (Run it from B: with the 3.5in drive or or run from A: using the 3.5in drive and then hotswap the drives). With option 5 you can do an RPM test to check that it's spinning at the right speed).

Bryce.
Procrastinators Unite,

Audronic

Hmmmnnnn.

Unwell
How do I interpret the Photo Please

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

gerald

Quote from: Audronic on 11:13, 30 November 15
Hmmmnnnn.

Unwell
How do I interpret the Photo Please

Ray
Simple answer is : change the 2nd bank RAM  ;)

Long answer is :
The test failed to detect the 2nd bank properly. The detection is done by writing a signature byte in each of the possible bank and read it back.
The signature is written from the highest possible bank in 512k down to the 1st block of the 1st bank.
The "84 87 84 87 84 87 84 87 84 ....." is the signature readback.
Expected value for a 128k is  "80 81 82 83 80 81 82 83 ...."
A 512k expanded signature is "80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ..... 9C 9D 9E 9F"

Unfortunately, this test is only reporting error at byte level and cannot tell which device is OK and which is not.

Bryce

Quote from: Audronic on 10:55, 30 November 15
HI Bryce

I am unable to see the link ?

Thanks   Ray

Oops, link disappeared: DskTest v0.1.47b (release?)

Bryce.

Audronic

@gerald

"" Simple answer is : change the 2nd bank RAM ;) ""
Damn I thought that the program would be able to repair faulty RAM  :laugh:
Ok Thanks for the explanation.
Out with the SideCutters and away I go.

Ray

Procrastinators Unite,

Audronic

@Bryce

Thanks for the Link.
Yes it works if i put on my 3D Glasses.  >:(

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

pacomix

Hi! I would like to know what happened afterwards. Did you finish fixing this computer?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Audronic

@pacomix

Thanks for the reminder.
Yes the 2nd Bank of ram was changed and it works well now.

I must remember to say Project Finished .

Thanks

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

llopis

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I'm very curious how you generated your RAM signal tables.When you say Pulse for Din and Pulse for Dout, are you driving those signals somehow? If so, how? When I use a logic probe all I can tell is low, high, or changes between the two.

I've been wondering about isolating some of the chips and try to check their logic behavior, but I haven't figured out how yet (short of removing them from the PCB and setting up a test rig on a breadboard).

Audronic

Quote from: llopis on 15:00, 24 June 18

I'm very curious how you generated your RAM signal tables.

The signals are generated by the Computer after power up

When you say Pulse for Din and Pulse for Dout, are you driving those signals somehow? 

###  No I just read them after turning on the computer

If so, how? When I use a logic probe all I can tell is low, high, or changes between the two.

###  I just used an OLD logic probe with 3 lights  LO,   HI,  and Pulsing (activity)

###  Thats all i used Nothing special.

Good Luck
Ray

Procrastinators Unite,