News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Reproduction Parts

Started by BluesBrothers, 11:50, 13 November 16

Previous topic - Next topic

would you buy reproductions of these parts

464 faceplates
9 (36%)
664 faceplates
6 (24%)
6128 faceplates
17 (68%)
464 tape counter (full assembly)
8 (32%)
464 tape counter (reset button only)
6 (24%)
464 Plus Tape Deck Lid
8 (32%)

Total Members Voted: 25

BluesBrothers

Hey Wiki Users

Many of you will remember I touched upon trying to get some things reproduced a few years ago but ultimately was let down by the chap who was supposed to be working on this stuff. I have recently been speaking to Djordje Mitic however, whom many will know for his replacement Spectrum faceplates he has released recently, and so I have decided it would be worth having another go to see if we can get these parts made for out much loved CPC's.
What we need from you guys is to help us guage the level of interest in certain products to see if they are economically viable to produce. i.e. would you order these yourselves.

I have other product in mind other than what is in the poll but lets us start please with what we have listed before we expand with other suggestions which can come later.

Thank you all

Dizrythmia

How about keys? I'm sure I'm not the only forum user who wants to replace his 6128+ French keys with a UK set :)

BluesBrothers

Yes I could use keys too but for now lets deal with a few things at a time and we may come to Key caps at a later date. I know the coloured Keycaps on the 464 and 664's are particularly prone to discolouring

Bryce

The tape counters can still be found if you look hard enough. I bought 10 of them a few years back, but they've all been used by now. They would also be extremely difficult to reproduce.

Bryce.

Gryzor

I changed the poll to allow multiple votes - I think that's what you meant to do, since someone could want more than one item?

Bryce

"You may only select up to 6 options" ?? There are only 6 options. :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

That's how many I put. I can make it 7, probably :D

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:41, 14 November 16
That's how many I put. I can make it 7, probably :D

Faceplates for 464's and 6128's would be good sellers. But they would need to be authentic. The new Spectrum 48k keyboard faceplates are great but the older ones weren't as good.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Gryzor

Indeed, the repros would have to be pretty good...

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:49, 14 November 16
Indeed, the repros would have to be pretty good...

Also have to work out how to get the old metal badges off if the time comes with no residue left behind. A Speccy faceplate is easy. No idea how you'd get a 6128 drive plate off as its recessed and you'd risk damaging the plastic. Freezer spray?
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Gryzor

CanonMan

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 01:41, 16 November 16

Also have to work out how to get the old metal badges off if the time comes with no residue left behind. A Speccy faceplate is easy. No idea how you'd get a 6128 drive plate off as its recessed and you'd risk damaging the plastic. Freezer spray?

It would be great if we could get replacement 6128 drive plates, they always seem to be damaged these days and mine is no exception!

I think warming it up from above and below to soften the glue, would probably be the best way to remove the old one.

1024MAK

Drive plate - what drive plate?  :o

I have a machine somewhere that is missing it's drive plate. One knock and it fell off  :(
I would have stuck it back on, but it's bent  :-[

Mark

Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

BluesBrothers

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:22, 14 November 16
I changed the poll to allow multiple votes - I think that's what you meant to do, since someone could want more than one item?

True but they are very thin on the ground and when I have seen they have been for silly money. My thought was the counter itself is usually fine. It is really just the reset button which snaps

BluesBrothers

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 01:41, 16 November 16

Hairdryer melts glue then carefully slip a blade under the faceplate being careful not to bent it.
As for residue,... if your fingers can stand it it comes off best whilst still hot and you push ity away with the pad of your thumb

remax

I don't know if it would be feasible with a 3D printer, but i would love to find a plastic dust cover for my 6128.

A bit like this http://i.imgur.com/uuyh3Fb.jpg

but it wouldn't have to be transparent. If it would make the covered keyboard into a rectangular parallelepiped, that would be even better.

I know there is nice soft dust covers, but i'd like have something made of hard matter so that i can put thing on it when i don't use the CPC.
Brain Radioactivity

Bryce

remax

Quote from: Bryce on 14:54, 27 November 16
What about one of these: http://www.amibay.com/entry.php?58-Amstrad-CPC464-CPC6128-and-MONITOR-Dust-Covers

Bryce.

Thanks but...

Quote from: remax on 19:40, 26 November 16I know there is nice soft dust covers, but i'd like have something made of hard matter so that i can put thing on it when i don't use the CPC.

But i might have found something  :)
Brain Radioactivity

villain