News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Reset button on a 464.

Started by Bryce, 09:00, 12 October 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi,
   this thread is just here because I can't attach files to a PM. I was asked where the best points on the 464 Mainboard would be to add a Reset Button. The two points seen below are relatively safe to solder to, even for a complete beginner in soldering as they aren't close enough to any IC to cause damage.

The top pin (nearest the edge connector) of R102 is the /BUSRESET signal. There are lots of alternative points for GND, I just chose one (the lower pin of R142) that wasn't too near any IC and accessable from the top of the PCB.

Bryce.

TotO

I though that the best was to stop to destroy CPC cases and build a little external box to get the signal from the expansion connector...
Or buying a LowerROM board instead. :D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

That's up to the owner. The person who asked wanted an internal solution (and already has a LowerROM Board on his 6128).

Bryce.

buzby

Quote from: TotO on 10:32, 12 October 12
I though that the best was to stop to destroy CPC cases and build a little external box to get the signal from the expansion connector...

you dont have to destroy your case in any way, drilling a big hole on top for a button you could put it neatly at the back of the 464 and it wouldnt really be seen.

i say dont rush these things and think about doing stuff on projects................. well thats just me lol

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 10:32, 12 October 12

Once I had the same idea, so I added a 'reset button' to a 6128, but without the button to push, so the case is still nice. But instead the 'reset' can be triggerd by using a remote control. So you press a button on a all-purpose remote control instead.

Oh boy! One of my friends freaked out when using my CPC! I had a lot of fun with that remote control.  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Quote from: buzby on 11:21, 12 October 12you dont have to destroy your case in any way, drilling a big hole on top for a button you could put it neatly at the back of the 464 and it wouldnt really be seen.
drilling or cutting in any side (reset button, hxc display, sd-card slot, ...) is destroying a "30 years old" endengered computer.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

buzby

Quote from: TotO on 11:04, 13 October 12
drilling or cutting in any side (reset button, hxc display, sd-card slot, ...) is destroying a "30 years old" endengered computer.

i suppose you have a point but like bryce said its down to the individual, but you could put the button inside a custom made box that sits behind the 464 with other auxiliaries in.

its only a little button, what about when people have done the hxc internal project  in there 6128 for example. now thats taking the machine apart and making it non original, LIKE YOU SAID

WHAT HAVE WE STARTED LOL