Author Topic: Restoring and modding a special CPC 6128.  (Read 2128 times)

Offline ||C|-|E||

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
    • index.php?action=treasury
    • Mundo CPC
  • Liked: 939
Re: Restoring and modding a special CPC 6128.
« Reply #20 on: 01:59, 18 June 17 »
OK, after what seems years with the files the modifications for the Centronics are almost over!  :D Maybe I will try to polish them a little bit more but they are already, more or less, similar to the original holes in terms of precision. The CPC case is not the most perfectly manufactured product and this is definitely an advantage but still, it took me ages  :picard: I have just put the two halves on top of each other, without screws or anything, to judge the final result. Oh! I will possibly remove the partially cut word too...

« Last Edit: 02:02, 18 June 17 by ||C|-|E|| »

Offline ||C|-|E||

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
    • Mundo CPC
« Reply #21 on: 23:36, 12 August 17 »
OK! I had a little bit of time to go on and install the switch to commute operating systems  :D The screws will need to be black, but still, the holes are ready. Since this computer already has the centronics ports, will have a reset switch in the back, the 5VCPC and maybe an ABBA switch, I thought that I would be installing the new switch on the left side of the case, near the joystick port. There is a bit of free space in there and it is in a very handy position.

So, I drew the shape of the hole and I made a small perforation with a tiny hot iron. Then, I just used the files, as always.

After quite a long time the hole was finally ready and I installed the switch using a couple of screws with nuts. Since the screws are not painted, they draw too much attention, but this will be solved on time.

As you can see, there is plenty of room inside the case for the switch and it does not interfere with any other component. It is close to the keyboard when installed, but it does not touch it at all  :)

One step closer to finish it!

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
  • Liked: 2402
« Reply #22 on: 15:37, 16 August 17 »
"Estereo" :D :D

But why did you use a permanent marker??

Offline Bryce

• The Hardware Guy.
  • Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • It's not broken, it just hasn't been fixed yet.
  • Liked: 3079
« Reply #23 on: 16:45, 16 August 17 »
"Estereo" :D :D

But why did you use a permanent marker??

I usually use permanent marker too. It doesn't scratch the surface, doesn't wipe off while you are drilling and filing and can be easily removed with isopropanol when you are finished.

Bryce.

Offline ||C|-|E||

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
    • Mundo CPC
« Reply #24 on: 16:56, 16 August 17 »
Yeah, it is the best way to have a convenient guide to make the holes right and straight  :D In any case, the case of this poor guy is solid but so battered that I think that sanding and maybe painting it is going to be advisable...  :-X
« Last Edit: 16:58, 16 August 17 by ||C|-|E|| »

Offline ||C|-|E||

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
    • Mundo CPC
« Reply #25 on: 01:27, 30 August 17 »
 Ok!! Time for the next step! Since the case was pretty battered (not to mention the badges) I decided that it would be better to remove them, fill the holes and scratches and give the case a fresh coat of paint. I still don´t know if the computer will be black or grey at the end, but those are the options I am considering.

Regarding the badges, removing them was a bloody nightmare. Amstrad used to cut costs in many things but the glue was definitely not one of them. They were glued with a crazily strong contact adhesive that, luckily, was soluble in isopropanol. This was good, but the problem was to make the alcohol to wet the glue, since for the most part it was not accessible at all. At the end, it was a combination of lots of patience, isopropanol injection and removing the metal plates very slowly, trying not to bend them too much. Finally, I cleaned the badges with isopropanol and I used a hammer to make them completely straight again. The next step was to scan them, since I plan to vectorize the logos and either re-print them (vinyls?) or engrave them in brand new custom metal sheets. I will think about it, I was considering to make a "Doomsday Edition" CPC, with the space ship engraved in the badge on top of the hard drive, or something like that. In any case, I will make sure that the new badges can be easily removed in case you want to go back to the original look.

And this is the case right now. It is already sanded, without any noticeable scratch (I mean, you don´t feel them with your nail) and ready for priming. However, I want to decontaminate it really thoroughly before :) .

As you can see, I removed the remaining bits of the word MONITOR from the case  :D