News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Restoring and modding a special CPC 6128.

Started by ||C|-|E||, 16:57, 05 March 17

Previous topic - Next topic

||C|-|E||

Ok!! Time for the next step! Since the case was pretty battered (not to mention the badges) I decided that it would be better to remove them, fill the holes and scratches and give the case a fresh coat of paint. I still don´t know if the computer will be black or grey at the end, but those are the options I am considering.

Regarding the badges, removing them was a bloody nightmare. Amstrad used to cut costs in many things but the glue was definitely not one of them. They were glued with a crazily strong contact adhesive that, luckily, was soluble in isopropanol. This was good, but the problem was to make the alcohol to wet the glue, since for the most part it was not accessible at all. At the end, it was a combination of lots of patience, isopropanol injection and removing the metal plates very slowly, trying not to bend them too much. Finally, I cleaned the badges with isopropanol and I used a hammer to make them completely straight again. The next step was to scan them, since I plan to vectorize the logos and either re-print them (vinyls?) or engrave them in brand new custom metal sheets. I will think about it, I was considering to make a "Doomsday Edition" CPC, with the space ship engraved in the badge on top of the hard drive, or something like that. In any case, I will make sure that the new badges can be easily removed in case you want to go back to the original look.

And this is the case right now. It is already sanded, without any noticeable scratch (I mean, you don´t feel them with your nail) and ready for priming. However, I want to decontaminate it really thoroughly before :) .

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

As you can see, I removed the remaining bits of the word MONITOR from the case  :D

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]