News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Restoring Joysticks.

Started by Bryce, 11:00, 12 December 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi,
     another ebay find here: Schnappschalter Schnappscheiben f. Folientastatur (Knackfrösche Metal Snap
I didn't think these were available anymore, but anyone who has ever tried to restore a Joystick such as the JY-2 or Atari CX40 will know how valuable a source for these can be.

Bryce.

awergh

On the same topic of repairing joysticks I've been meaning to ask, does anyone know if you can buy an equivalent looking connector to replace the DB-9 connector on a joystick or if I should just buy a standard pc one that won't look quite as authentic?

Bryce

The originals are usually black molded plastic, so it wouldn't be possible to make connections. Any of the "openable" ones will be bigger and have a metal 9pin connector. If you mean a plastic molded connector including the wire, then you're probably better off just taking one from a broken joystick, these were never sold seperately.

Bryce.

awergh

Well I was just wanting to cut off the old connector and replace it a new one so that the joystick works in all directions. I guess I'll just use a standard PC one, as much as the JY-1 is a pretty awful joystick to use I'd rather keep it in tact.

The Last Bandit

Pickup a DB9 extension cable (Ebay has plenty) and replace the complete cable. Ok you'll lose the nice strain relief on the original cable but better than having a clunky DB9 connector on the other end.