News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

RGB adapter to SVideo/Composite for CPC based on AD724

Started by antoniovillena, 01:21, 18 January 15

Previous topic - Next topic

antoniovillena

Hi

I have released this little board.

It's made with Eagle. The sources are here.

http://www.atc.us.es/svn/zxuno/hardware/otros/ad724/
User: guest
Pass: zxuno

Munchausen

Great board!

But just so you know, @Bryce makes these too.

RGB SVideo - CPCWiki

His are S video only though. I added a composite connector (soldered to the AD724 pins), but you could easily just use an S-video to composite converter with it too.

opqa

For the sake of curiosity, why is there so much interest in Composite/S-Video outputs when, AFAIK, the best image quality is achieved with RGB? Is it just to be able to use the CPC with monitors without RGB/Scart connectors?

CraigsBar

Quote from: opqa on 10:39, 18 January 15
For the sake of curiosity, why is there so much interest in Composite/S-Video outputs when, AFAIK, the best image quality is achieved with RGB? Is it just to be able to use the CPC with monitors without RGB/Scart connectors?
my thoughts exactly. I have not seen a European tv made anytime since the late 80's without scart, I was of the opinion that most us tv's had rgb input does anyone really use s-video anymore? Now and internal board to upscale the rgb to 720p hdmi, *that* would be different lol.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

McKlain

AFAIK, the S-Video output is the best option for good quality video capture from real hardware.

gerald

Quote from: CraigsBar on 11:24, 18 January 15
my thoughts exactly. I have not seen a European tv made anytime since the late 80's without scart, I was of the opinion that most us tv's had rgb input does anyone really use s-video anymore? Now and internal board to upscale the rgb to 720p hdmi, *that* would be different lol.
In France, the scart plug is no more mandatory on TV sold since January 2015. You can be sure that manufacturers will not include it !

antoniovillena

Quote from: Munchausen on 09:41, 18 January 15
Great board!

But just so you know, @Bryce makes these too.

RGB SVideo - CPCWiki

His are S video only though. I added a composite connector (soldered to the AD724 pins), but you could easily just use an S-video to composite converter with it too.

Yes, I knew the thread. I tried to continue this thread but It was old so I've created a new one.

Basically the board is the same. The only difference is that bryce one has S-Video connector in the board. Mine is not included, so you have freedom to allocate the board into the machine.

I've put a small batch in a spanish forum but it's sold out. So I publish here the PCB files if it's interesting to this forum to build yourselves. This board is very interesting to CPC users because this machine has not composite output (or RF to obtain composite).

http://zonadepruebas.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5912&start=30#p52982

Bryce

Hi,
    nice board. I see you have also included the PAL/NTSC switch which I also left off because almost all CPC users are in PAL countries. Although I included the S-Video socket on the PCB, you can just leave it off if you want to fit it internally.

To answer the others: SCART is on its way out and even now many SCART ports on modern LCD TVs will only sync to a perfect signal (which many retro computers don't produce). By converting the signal to S-Video you get a picture that's just as sharp as RGB, but more compatible. It also means having just a thin S-Video cable to the TV instead of a fat SCART cable with one of the shittiest connectors that ever managed to become a standard :D

Bryce.

Lazy Dude

slightly off topic here but would the light gun work through a CRT telly that's working via s-video?
I love scart connectors they are the best things ever  :laugh:

Bryce

Quote from: Lazy Dude on 19:17, 18 January 15
slightly off topic here but would the light gun work through a CRT telly that's working via s-video?
I love scart connectors they are the best things ever  :laugh:

Yes. I haven't tried it, but it should work properly.

Bryce.

MaV

Well, if SCART is on its way out, S-Video has been for a couple of years.
There hardly were new TVs with a proper S-Video connector, when I last looked, never mind the problem with the perfect signal which is a problem of (almost) all LCD TVs.

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Bryce

SCART never made it to the US. They've always used S-Video instead and still do. So S-video might just live a little longer. I've certainly seen TVs without SCART but still with S-Video.

Bryce.

Lazy Dude

must be time to develop a CPC to HDMI kit for people then. Got to keep up with the times what!

AMSDOS

My Dad once brought a TV with SCART, but it's the only one we had and the store we got it from were almost giving them away. Depends really where you go here, one place had heaps of TVs with SCART, but were expensive you had to pay more just to get the Composite or Component connector - depending on what you wanted varied with price & most other places have the TV with Composite on them. Haven't seen a lot with SVideo though. My little TV (14") has a Component on it and the Onscreen display is sharp like a computer screen.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Bryce

Quote from: Lazy Dude on 22:57, 19 January 15
must be time to develop a CPC to HDMI kit for people then. Got to keep up with the times what!

I've already looked into VGA and HDMI for the CPC. The problem is that you need more than just a format changer. Due to the higher frequencies you need to buffer the data. These are already available for very cheap (<€30) from China, so making a CPC spefic device isn't worth it. We should however test some of these and add some info on the Wiki (Connection How-to and reviews).

Bryce.

roy bates

my take on the s/video and rgb talk is,the us dont have scart for analogue rgb as far as i know so s/video(chroma/luma) is perfect for them.

anyway...how much will this be sold for please?

looks like a nice board,does it come as a kit? ready made? or both?

Bryce

The AD724 is only available in SMD, so it's not a Kit I would recommend for beginners.

Bryce.

roy bates

Quote from: Bryce on 23:34, 20 January 15
The AD724 is only available in SMD, so it's not a Kit I would recommend for beginners.

Bryce.

thats ok bud,i can handle it ;D

but,i understand its not or beginners..

@bryce,is it me or is there a mistake on the schematic on the wiki page? theres two 75 ohm resistors on the green of the r,g,b signals on the input,but none on the blue?

Bryce

I wasn't implying that you're a beginner :D It was just meant as a general comment :)

Bryce.

roy bates

Quote from: Bryce on 23:47, 20 January 15
I wasn't implying that you're a beginner :D It was just meant as a general comment :)

Bryce.

i know mate,could you have a look at the edit a made just before you posted please you might be interested

Bryce

Quote from: roy bates on 23:36, 20 January 15
@bryce,is it me or is there a mistake on the schematic on the wiki page? theres two 75 ohm resistors on the green of the r,g,b signals on the input,but none on the blue?

Haha, well spotted! That schematic has been there for years and no-one seems to have noticed the mistake. I actually used a different Layout program to make the batch, so the real devices don't have this problem. I'll see if I can find the old file and correct it.

Bryce.

Edit: Schematic corrected.

talrek

Hi, if someone is interrested I have three left from an old batch made for myself, always Bryce's model [emoji1]

pelrun

Quote from: Bryce on 11:20, 20 January 15
I've already looked into VGA and HDMI for the CPC. The problem is that you need more than just a format changer.

1. Sniff expansion bus for VRAM/CRTC/GA data
2. Emulate CRTC/GA to generate video
3. Generate HDMI signal

It's probably too much work for too little benefit, but I do have a brand new minispartan6+ fpga board with HDMI outputs sitting on my desk wanting something to do (and I accidentally just designed an interface board... oops)

TotO

Just use a CPC to SCART cable and a SCART to HDMI converter.
That will allow to plug the CPC on old CRT/LCD TV as well as on new HDMI screen w/o scart input.

I have tested this working:

Be carefull, others old and bigger version (rectangular, not square) may not work properly with the CPC...
I have bought it 25$... But il look to be increased to 45$ now. (because people buy w/o looking good prices)

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

I do something similar, but I use a very cheap S-Video to VGA/HDMI converter which is fed via my RGB to S-Video adapter.

The only problem (with all VGA / HDMI solutions) is the some CRTC tricks don't work properly because a digital picture can't change mid-frame like an analogue CRT could.

Bryce.