News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Scare with my Schneider 664 today...

Started by 00WReX, 11:15, 29 October 11

Previous topic - Next topic

00WReX

Phew, all good but had a scare with my Schneider 664 today (and I am in Australia, so I don't imagine many in this part of the world).
And I consider myself extremely lucky to have an almost mint condition one.
So anyway decided to get all my CPC's out and do a quick check of each one today.
Got to my Schneider 664 and all keys tested good as they have always done (had it for 8 years).
Went to do a soft reset with the "Control" + "Shift" + "Esc" and all I got was a *Break* (just like you do when you press "Esc".
Double checked everything, all keys worked correctly when pressed individually...Reset CPC via power switch but still the same.
Anyway, ran through the same thing a couple of times...still the same, and the heart sank a little bit...has the notorious 664 keyboard bitten the dust ?
Pulled the CPC apart and disconnected the Keyboard to PCB ribbon connector, then re-connected it....all good...Phew, happy again  :D

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

TFM

Such experiences lead to heart attacks, be careful :-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Kris

You are lucky to have a 664 with a functional keyboard, most of them are defectives nowadays.

00WReX

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:03, 29 October 11
Such experiences lead to heart attacks, be careful :-)

Very true... ;D

Quote from: Kris on 19:51, 29 October 11
You are lucky to have a 664 with a functional keyboard, most of them are defectives nowadays.

Yes, actually I have 3 fully functioning 664's, 1 Schneider & 2 Australian delivered ones' with the "Awa" distributor code on startup.
So I am very lucky (obtained them all around 8 years ago). I tested all 3 only yesterday and all good. The last time I tested them was about 3 years ago... :o 

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki