News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Scart cable not working

Started by bulwer, 12:03, 25 October 15

Previous topic - Next topic

bulwer

Hi All,

Bit of a novice when it comes to all things CPC but I got a green screen 464 a few years ago and have decided to try and get it to earn its keep. I have ordered a cable/power pack from Cool Novelties having ordered one a couple of years back and both have the same issue - the computer will not power up. I've tested the power output that plugs into the computer and it is 5.2V - the same as the monitor gives. But the green screen powers up the computer whereas the Scart cable doesn't.

My guess is that it is something to do with the monitor cable as the computer only powers up when the monitor cable is inserted. But I have had a poke around the net and can't see what I am missing. It has been tried on 2 TVs - albeit both LCD - without success.

Sorry if this is Amstrad 101 and I am missing something obvious but any advice would be appreciated.

Carnivius

Not sure what the problem could be here but I just thought I should say I bought a cable/powerpack from cool novelties and it works a treat with my 464 whether it was on the old 14 inch CRT TV or either of the large LCD HDTVs.  Had no problems with the cables and it was certainly a great purchase for me.  Maybe somebody else can come up with suggestions as to what else might be going on.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

seanb

I ordered a megadrive scart lead that only worked for the shortest time cool novelties.

I ended up with a black screen and no sound.

I prefer RetroComputerShack but that said the Amstrad psu kits I bought from coolnovelties still work.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

bulwer

Sorry about the bounce but I recently bought another 464 which works perfectly with the scart cable and psu but the original still won't work. I've opened it up and given it a good clean. I've replaced the capacitor by the power input but still have the same problem. It works perfectly running off a green screen monitor but will not power up off of the power supply that happily runs the other one.

Any ideas or do I have to consign it to a life of green screen only?

IanS

Quote from: bulwer on 10:11, 18 February 17
Sorry about the bounce but I recently bought another 464 which works perfectly with the scart cable and psu but the original still won't work. I've opened it up and given it a good clean. I've replaced the capacitor by the power input but still have the same problem. It works perfectly running off a green screen monitor but will not power up off of the power supply that happily runs the other one.

Any ideas or do I have to consign it to a life of green screen only?
Sounds a similar issue to one seen here :-
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/cpc464-works-with-monitor-but-no-power-with-tv-kit/msg58600/#msg58600

There is a bad ground connection from the power input on the 464. When used with the green screen monitor, the video connector is providing a good ground connection.

bulwer

Quote from: IanS on 12:07, 18 February 17
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/cpc464-works-with-monitor-but-no-power-with-tv-kit/msg58600/#msg58600

There is a bad ground connection from the power input on the 464. When used with the green screen monitor, the video connector is providing a good ground connection.
Perfect - many thanks.

bulwer

Quote from: IanS on 12:07, 18 February 17

Just to say thanks again - took a brave pill, figured out what needed doing and now working perfectly!