News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Screws

Started by Dizrythmia, 13:39, 18 January 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizrythmia

I have been trying to find screws to replace those missing in my Amstrads. All of them were purchased second hand & for some reason the odd screw is missing. As well as that I have a new/old stock DD1 interface with no screws at all! I'm getting a drive to put into it.

I went to my local hardware store to find replacement screws but with no luck. So I need to know what type of screws are used for the casing & what ones are used to hold disc drives in place.

If anyone could let me know what I need to look for & possibly where I could order some online (if I can't find them at Jaycar or somewhere like that) that would be great :)

Thanks

GeoffB17

Helpful - you don't say which Amstrads?

Are they screws, or are they bolts (screws would have pointy ends, bolts flat).

They could well be bog standard, off-the-shelf items.

Could you suggest length (usually incl head), and diameter of shaft.   I have a bag of computer-related bits, certainly the bolts you use to fasten a disk drive into the housing are pretty standard, to match the thread on the actual drives.

Geoff

Bryce

I assume you mean FD-1, because getting a drive into a DDI-1 would require a rather large hammer (also available from your local hardware store).

Bryce.

Dizrythmia

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 13:51, 18 January 16
Helpful - you don't say which Amstrads?

Well I own a 464, 6128 & 6128+ & all use the same type of screw to hold the case together. I didn't think I needed to be specific.

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 13:51, 18 January 16Are they screws, or are they bolts (screws would have pointy ends, bolts flat).

Interesting. Well since they have flat ends they must be bolts.

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 13:51, 18 January 16They could well be bog standard, off-the-shelf items.

That's what I'm hoping!

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 13:51, 18 January 16Could you suggest length (usually incl head), and diameter of shaft.   I have a bag of computer-related bits, certainly the bolts you use to fasten a disk drive into the housing are pretty standard, to match the thread on the actual drives.

Of course, you're right! They should be standard across all drives. As for the size, I don't have anything to measure with at the moment.

Quote from: Bryce on 14:05, 18 January 16I assume you mean FD-1, because getting a drive into a DDI-1 would require a rather large hammer (also available from your local hardware store).

Sorry, the DD1 is the interface... Yes, the FD-1 :)

Bryce

Actually they aren't bolts, most CPC screws are self-taping screws. A bolt goes into a nut or threaded shaft, the CPC screws don't.

Bryce.