News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

sintech-uk: HxC FD emulator works without DDI-1 on 464?

Started by duncan_bayne, 01:07, 02 September 12

Previous topic - Next topic

duncan_bayne

Hi All,

I'm about to buy an HxC floppy drive emulator from sintech-uk, but I'm concerned about whether it will work on my 464 without a DDI-1 interface.  Darren, a.k.a. sintech-uk, claims it will in a conversation we had re. another item:

QuoteFrom: sintech-uk

Hi Duncan

<snip> The only item we do sell that is similar is the HxC SD Floppy Emulator. It is not currently listed on eBay but could be added if you were interested.

Thanks
Darren

Hi,

I'd be _very_ interested in the floppy simulator. Will it work on a 464 without a DDI-1?

Yours,
Duncan

Hello Duncan

Yes it will.

Thanks
Darren

Hi,

Fantastic! I'd thought I was out of luck as the 464 doesn't have the disc controller built in like the 664 or 6128. If you could please put one up on eBay & send me the link I'll buy :-)

Yours,
Duncan

However, I've read here on the group that the HxC emulator won't work on a 464 without a DDI-1 ... at least that's my understanding of it.

So, who's right?  I'd greatly appreciate some guidance here ... I'm itching to buy the HxC but don't want a lemon.

Yours,
Duncan

IanS

I think he's wrong. Without a DDI-1 you won't have anywhere to plug in a floppy emulator. It would be fine in 664 or 6128 as they have a floppy interface built in.

Jeff_HxC2001

Of course it doesn't : a 464 without DDI doesn't have any FDC.

Hard to connect an HxC directly on the 464 Bus  ::) .

Bryce

It definitely doesn't work without a DDI-1 on a 464. As well as that, I would recommend you look at sourcing it somewhere else: (ie: Lotharek) otherwise you'll be paying way too much for it.

Bryce.

duncan_bayne

duncan_bayne

Quote from: Jeff_HxC2001 on 09:13, 02 September 12
Of course it doesn't : a 464 without DDI doesn't have any FDC.

Hard to connect an HxC directly on the 464 Bus  ::) .
I'd assumed that what he meant was that the HxC included a controller; what it actually meant was that he didn't understand my question  :'(

Bryce

Or he's just eager to get rid of a HxC that he's been sitting on for over a year and can't sell for the inflated price he thinks he can get?

Bryce.

Gryzor

Well, someone *did* buy it in the end, at a price higher than what you would pay for Lotharek's encased version.

Duncan, since the HxC is made to accommodate a multitude of different systems it could not come with a controller itself, I guess...