News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

So I have a CPC 6128 now, what next?

Started by rthorntn, 07:50, 14 September 18

Previous topic - Next topic

rthorntn

Hi,

I hope you all can help, I can't really find much online or in the quick search I did on the forums.

So the 6128 does work, the disk drive worked intermittently when he was showing me some disks.

It doesn't have a monitor.

So I guess I probably need a drive belt, a video cable, some power supplies and a gotek or something like that.

I have a projector that does 15hz so ideally I could buy a CPC to VGA cable online (that ships to AU) are they available, I didn't see anything on ebay?

Is there a neat power solution available?

What are people currently doing to play games without using the disk, something like a gotek?

I can solder and will happily build the bits I need if I can find the right info, for the video I would need to source the CPC video connector and a pinout, to save money I could build a SD card interface from some gerbers if they were available?

Thanks for looking.

Cheers
Richard

mr_lou

Welcome to the forum.  :)
I'm fairly sure most of us are using alternative monitor options. You can connect a standard TV via a CPC -> SCART cable. These cables are available on eBay, and you can easily solder one yourself too.
A lot of us are using HxC or Gotek as a replacement for real disks. Nowadays there's also the Wifi board with built in SD card reader that functions as a harddisk. So plenty of options available.  :)

rpalmer

rthorntn,
The intermittent drive may be due to not only the belt, but also the head movement as these can be found to have a lack of lubrication which may make them stick. We have to be reasonable here after 30+ years something has to give, particularly if the machine has been sitting idle.

There are many options to connect to a CPC to modern display equipment.
Bryce has created an adapter to connect to modern TVs (if I recall it was via composite) which still support legacy inputs.

There is the option of RGB to SCART cables and again bryce is a good port of call for more information, although google can help here as well.

The other options are things like OSSC, Frameister and other units to convert the RBG signals of the CPC to a HDMI signal.
As for a power supply it may be possible via a plug packs provided they can supply 5V and 12V at the required currents (you would need 2 one for 5V and another for 12V which is for 3" disk drive use).The use of modern hacked PC power supply is not advised as they may cause damage to the CPC (although I may be corrected on this). I am sure google can supply the required schematics for 5V and 12V from mains power.

rpalmer

Bryce

Quote from: rpalmer on 10:21, 14 September 18
There are many options to connect to a CPC to modern display equipment.
Bryce has created an adapter to connect to modern TVs (if I recall it was via composite) which still support legacy inputs.

It works with composite, but it's actually an RGB to S-Video converter.

Bryce.

keith56

I live in Japan, and scart isn't an option for me, because my TV doesn't have it.

I use one of these arcade boxes for all my RGB needs - it works with a standard monitor, so you don't need to worry about the 15hz thing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andoer%C2%AEHigh-Portable-Genuine-GBS8200-Converter-Green/dp/B00W3460UU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536921640&sr=8-3&keywords=cga+vga

For Disk's I attached a HxC externally as drive B (more expensive than the gotek but basically the same function)... you can connect it externally with an old 5.25 floppy cable...

My 6128 doesn't have an internal floppy anymore (it's replaced with an internal HXC)... only the floppy needs the 12v line, so if you're only using a gotek/hxc, you just need a 5v dc power pack to power your CPC, just make sure it has 2-3 amps or you may have problems (I used to have one that was 2 amps, but it had intermittent issues)

Good luck getting the CPC back to working order!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

LambdaMikel

Quote from: mr_lou on 09:24, 14 September 18
Welcome to the forum.  :)
I'm fairly sure most of us are using alternative monitor options.
True, even though I am sad that I lost my CTM 644.

LambdaMikel

For the PSU, there are plenty of options.
@ikonsgr is selling a PSU for the 12 V, and for the 5 V I believe he also has options.
An ordinary standard 5V standard PSU will do as long as it can supply at least 2.5 to 3 Amps. 
Make sure the polarity is right.  Both have to be *regulated* though, don't buy unregulated ones.

tjohnson

If the drive is intermittent after changing the belt, check the rpm, should be 300rpm.  If it is off too much then it can struggle to read disks consistently, well that's what I found.

NaMcO

I got a Gotek Deluxe ordered, waiting on it. But i will probably use it as an external unit, i hate modifying original computers. In the monitor department i am lucky enough to have a CTM644 monitor, but the CPC can be easily connected to an RGB CRT television as well for the best image possible.

What bothers me the most is having a neat uPD765 controller and not being able to format DSDD disks in 720k format like the +3 does  :-[

rthorntn

Thanks everyone.

Apologies for the delay in replying to you all I have been overseas.

SCART/SVIDEO isn't an option here, composite or VGA are my options, has anyone seen an VGA DB15 cable, is it possible, if not, just a plain RCA composite?

I took the 6128 apart and cleaned it, wow there was a lot of crap in there.

Thanks again.

Richard

Bryce

VGA isn't an option unless you've got a VGA monitor that accepts a 15kHz signal. Composite will be a bit fuzzy but usable. Your options are to buy an adapter such as mine or get yourself an Amstrad MP2 modulator and convert it to composite.

Bryce.

rthorntn

Thanks, I do have a monitor (projector) that accepts 15Hz.

Bryce

Really, they aren't very common. What's the make/model?

Bryce.

rthorntn

Thanks, it's an Epson EX9200 projector and it works with all modes on an Atari Mega STE (it was my understanding that Low/Med was 15Hz)?

I didn't mean modulated (UHF) composite, isn't there a composite where it's just the RGB pins combined in to one pin?  From googling it looks like you can get a B&W picture by connecting up luminance and ground to an RCA?

Bryce

I didn't mean modulated UHF either. You can bypass the modulator in the MP2 to get a real composite signal output. The advantage being that it comes with all the power rails you need in an Amstrad style case.

Bryce.

rthorntn

Thanks, I understand.

Back to 15Hz 15-pin D-sub can it be done?

Bryce

Shouldn't be an issue, just make up a cable and try it out.

Bryce.