News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Steve Benway fixes a 6128 (youtube)

Started by Cholo, 17:23, 25 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Cholo

He replaces the drive belt and makes a psu for the drive as well.

CPC 6128 Fix - An Amstrad Adventure (Not a game)

"oh a pin fell out"  :P

Gryzor

Hahaha indeed best quote :D

[Edit] I'v watched 13 minutes up to now, he's botching the job up :D What instructions is he reading? I never had to take the PCB off to replace a belt...

Still, very educational. I added it to the repairs page of the wiki.

CanonMan

What a cack-handed plonker that guy is. He's done pretty much everything wrong that you could do wrong.

I don't know how he expects anyone to take it seriously :D

Badstarr

Eeeek! How to repair CPC 3" drive with Disc Missing Error.

Step one remove screws and open case.
Step two manhandle cables out of drive.
Step three, throttle the drive until it changes it's mind.

I suppose this may still be helpful to people who never done this procedure before, at least they can see all the possible mistakes you can make and avoid them!

A relaxed disposition is usually the best way to approach a repair project especially on vintage stuff, bull in a china shop is only going to cause pins to fall out.

Now if only I could take my own advice all the time! lol! 
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

MacDeath

QuoteWhat a cack-handed plonker that guy is. He's done pretty much everything wrong that you could do wrong.
Sure this is not Best Way, this is Ben'sWay... ;D

Where I replaced some drivebelt I had to remove the card too... perhaps it depends on what exact model you have in hand.

My 2 CPC6128 do have different models per exemple.

Gryzor

I have encountered at least two variations (with the pin and the light diode), never had to take the board apart... it sufficed to lift it slightly with my finger. And I don't consider myself any good in these procedures :D

Bryce

Why is it, that it's always the Ham-fisted idiots that feel the need to make a YouTube video of their less than eloquent attempts at breaking good hardware. It's almost as if you can say, "I must be good at hardware, because I've never released a Youtube video to demonstarte otherwise" :D

Bryce.

steve

There is a distinct lack of "how to" videos on youtube and I applaud anyone with the community spirit to make one, This one may not be the best way of doing the job, but it does show people what to expect and maybe even give them a "heads up" on what not to do.

redbox

Quote from: Bryce on 16:12, 26 September 11
Why is it, that it's always the Ham-fisted idiots that feel the need to make a YouTube video of their less than eloquent attempts at breaking good hardware. It's almost as if you can say, "I must be good at hardware, because I've never released a Youtube video to demonstarte otherwise" :D

Hmmm, it does appear to be that way.

But there is another side... for example I needed to fix my dishwasher and I bought the part really cheaply online, but there was no documentation anywhere about how to do it.  The only thing I found was a YouTube video.  In this video, they removed the whole tray, door panel, electrics etc. and I thought to myself this must be massive overkill.  I eventually phathomed out that you don't need to do everything they did and it was infact quite a simple job... BUT, without the video I'd have been completely stuffed.

Cholo

well, in the defence poor Steve B here, i should quickly mentioned that he has never claimed to be a amstrad expert in any way. Also i should mention that its the first time ive seen a "repair" video from him, as he usually uploads game "reviews" or retro system reviews usually. If you have seen any of Steves other videos you will also notice that he in general is a quite "average" gamer and he usually records plays of his "first impression" with games/system .. and i think one of the main reasons Steve is popular on youtube is that he isnt afraid to admit his "average"-ness or normalness (hi usually comment something like "you must all be bored by watching" quite often too). Aka most of us can relate to him basicly.

Anyways, you can see the video as a test of how userfriendly a amstrad 6128 is to someone who just picked up a used one for the first time.