News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Symbiface II + HxC + Parados ROM

Started by beaker, 20:51, 27 December 12

Previous topic - Next topic

beaker

I am playing around with the ROM part of my Symbiface II and have a slight problem.
I've installed 4 ROMs including ParaDOS in ROM 7 so I can use larger format disks through AMSDOS. I assume the ROM image is OK based on what I see in SymbOS:

[attach=2]

However when I reboot the machine back to AMSDOS I get the following message and the machine hangs:

[attach=3]

If I delete the image the other ROMs are loaded successfully:

[attach=4]

I've only turned on the ROMs that I've filled on the board. If I turn them all off but don't bridge J2 the CPC endlessly reboots. The only other thing to note is I have the HxC as my A drive and the drive in the 6128 disabled via the floppy cable.

[attach=5]

Do I need a patched version of ParaDOS?
Is there an alternative? I see some people use BDOS.

Thanks in advance

Bryce

You can't replace ROM 7 on a standard 6128. That only works on a CPC+.

Bryce.

IanS

Quote from: Bryce on 22:18, 27 December 12
You can't replace ROM 7 on a standard 6128. That only works on a CPC+.
You can disable the internal rom with a hardware modification though.

Add a link or switch between pin 13 of IC210 and GND to disable the internal rom 7.

(As discussed - Disable Disc ROM )

beaker

Ah, thanks Bryce. I knew it was me being stupid  :laugh:   
Bryce, I don't suppose your lowerROM board would work in this instance as that disables ROM 7? Has anyone tried it with the Symbiface 2?

Bryce

No. The LowerROM Board will block all ROMs on a Plus, but the ROMDIS signal on a standard CPC only disables ROM 0, so it wouldn't make a difference. My LowerROM Board doesn't disable ROM 7 on a classic CPC. The only way to disable ROM 7 on a classic CPC is to make internal modifications.

Bryce.

beaker

Thanks for the explanation Bryce; sorry I read the first post of your LowerROM board where it says "The standalone device would also work with the MegaFlash, it just wouldn't plug on top like a module. It will not be flashable or anything fancy, just a simple EPROM. Also: 6128 users would need to put ROM 7 on a MegaFlash or other external ROMBoard, as the Lower ROMBoard disables the internal ROM 7." Lower ROM Board and thought for a second it may be an alternate solution. That's where I was coming from  :)

I hold fire on the mod for a minute unless I really need it.

Bryce

Does it say that? It should say: "6128 Plus users would need to put ROM 7 on a MegaFlash or other external ROMBoard, as the Lower ROMBoard disables the internal ROM 7".

Bryce.

beaker

Now you say that, that does make more sense  :) :) :) :)

TFM

Quote from: beaker on 20:51, 27 December 12
I am playing around with the ROM part of my Symbiface II and have a slight problem.

After installing PDOS at ROM number 7, you can do the following:
- Save the content of ROM 7 to disc
- Compare the saved file with the ROM file (f. e. using MAXAM)
Are there differences? Yes, then the problem is found.
No, then you can use ROM 7 properly, now check out XD-DOS or VDOS or another DOS instead of PDOS.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gibbo

Can you not put the Parados rom into another position and it intercepts the call when using high capacity disks?

Cholo

As Symbos itslef does support high capacity floppy formats (like pc dos 720k) i assume that its somehow is incompatible with Parados for some technical reason? Aka 2 programs trying to do the same thingy on the same hardware must cancel the other one out?

Just a guess  ;)

Prodatron

Parados is a Disc-extension for the original "CPC-OS", or in other words an Amsdos-replacement.
SymbOS is a complete independant operating system (like CP/M), which doesn't use Amsdos or any other disc-extensions of the CPC-OS.
And also like CP/M it is not present as long as you don't boot it. The SymbOS-roms will not influence anything as long as you stay in CPC-OS, they are only for booting SymbOS in a very quick way.
CU,
Prodatron

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

TFM

Quote from: Prodatron on 18:41, 04 January 13
Parados is a Disc-extension for the original "CPC-OS", or in other words an Amsdos-replacement.
SymbOS is a complete independant operating system (like CP/M), which doesn't use Amsdos or any other disc-extensions of the CPC-OS.
And also like CP/M it is not present as long as you don't boot it. The SymbOS-roms will not influence anything as long as you stay in CPC-OS, they are only for booting SymbOS in a very quick way.
CU,
Prodatron

Well, CP/M may serve as an bad example, since the Amsdos ROM contains parts of CP/M (f.e. RS232 management, parts of DR Logo and so on...), and further CP/M itself does need AmsDOS.
CP/M Plus in contrast has it's own BIOS/BDOS and is (more) independent of the AmsDOS ROM (but still need it to be there for some functionality, one of them is again DR Logo).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Prodatron

Please dont mix it:
CP/M doesnt need Amsdos but they put some code in the same rom to keep more ram free for CP/M.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

TFM

??? hmmmm.... maybe I mixed that up... at least I remember the Amsdos ROM containing RS232 drivers and parts of DR Logo... the source is out there anyway  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Back to topic: When using SymbOS on an emulator (because it takes more time to do that on a real CPC) and starting it from ROM then the lack of any kind of DOS ROM will not interfere, since it has it's own DOS routines. That may be serving as another example.... just an idea.
TFM of FutureSoft