News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

SYMBiFACE II maximal values

Started by TFM, 11:22, 24 June 14

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Hi!

Which are the maximal values one can use for the power supply of the SF2 without any problems?

(I'm currently using 9 Volt and 350 mA).

What are YOU using?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

As far as I can remember, the SF2 uses an LM2574N-5 to regulate the 5V rail (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't own an SF2, but I've fixed a few). The LM2574N-5 can take up to 40V on the input, so anything below 40V should be safe, but of course the higher you go, the more heat it will need to disipate. So at 40V you'll need some serious cooling.
It's designed to supply 5V @ 500mA with an input voltage of around 10V, but according to the datasheet, it will work down to about 7.5V but the output voltage then drops to 4.99V. The supply you use should be able to deliver at least 500mA @ 10V for an absolutely perfect 5V @ 500mA output. As 12V supplies are very common, I'd suggest using a 12V supply.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Mine is on the 12v of a pc powesupply.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TFM

Thanks for the informations.  :) What are other people using successful?  :)

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

HAL6128

12V out of an old ATX PSU.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

TFM

Well, 210 mA at 10 Volt is probably not a good idea then...

TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

Quote from: TFM on 18:50, 25 June 14
Well, 210 mA at 10 Volt is probably not a good idea then...

Simple maths will tell you that the most Amps you can get on the 5V side is 420mA (assuming the LM was completely lossless), so it's a bit weak for the job. Although I doubt the SF2 needs anything near 420mA, it's better to have some headroom.

Bryce.

TFM

Oh, I got a 15 Volt and 300 mA now, that should be just fine right?

TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

Quote from: TFM on 14:58, 26 June 14
Oh, I got a 15 Volt and 300 mA now, that should be just fine right?

Yes, that should get you the full 500mA @ 5V.

Bryce.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft