News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Tape level indicator

Started by Bryce, 16:04, 26 February 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi all,
   just chatting with someone about tape loading and I remembered that I have a small device that shows you whether the iPod / tapedeck etc connected to your 6128 is at the correct volume for succesful loading. It's small, cheap and pretty useful (if you happen to like loading tapes to your 6128).

Is there any interest in a batch of these, or should I toss it back into the box of random circuits I just fished it out of?

Bryce.

robcfg

It would indeed be nice!

Chinnery

It would be nice as a project to make up... give me more practice with my soldering iron (usually means breaking more things tho!)

Bryce

Quote from: Chinnery on 17:19, 26 February 18
It would be nice as a project to make up... give me more practice with my soldering iron (usually means breaking more things tho!)

Do you mean as a kit or just publish the schematics?

Bryce.

Chinnery

It depends on how many people are interested. I know buying "1 of" parts for a kit can become a bit expensive, but if not enough people are interested then that's something I'm willing to do - make boards etc from the eagles / gerbers and source the parts.
I suppose what would also be of interest to me is what are the components doing. I'm more of a code monkey than a hardware guru, but would love to learn a bit more on the hardware side... and projects like this where I can see the results in an area of interest would be great.

Bryce

It's a very simple circuit. Easily understood.

If I can get 10 people interested I'll make a batch. I need to check what the parts cost to work out the price.

Bryce.

yannis_uno

Quote from: Bryce on 22:16, 26 February 18
It's a very simple circuit. Easily understood.

If I can get 10 people interested I'll make a batch. I need to check what the parts cost to work out the price.

Bryce.

Count me in Bryce!  ;) [size=78%] [/size]

LambdaMikel

I'll buy one, too - had to transfer Amdrum tapes from PC to a real cassette recently (external datacorder)... would have been easier with the tape cable directly into the CPC, and level indicator.

robcfg

Count me in for one too!

remax

Brain Radioactivity

Fedeo

blackdalek

I think a gadget like this sounds very useful. I could be interested too.
CPC6128 modded with ABBA switch. External 5.25" floppy drive with side switch and Multiface 2. Now also sporting a joystick splitter and M4 WiFi board.

Bryce

Ok, that's enough interest to pull it back out of the box and start a layout :)

Edit: Just messing about laying out a new Prototype. A quick survey for those who stated interest: The device obviously needs power and there's no power on the Cassette port, soooo.... What's preferable? A flylead to connect it to the 5V power or run it off a 9V battery (it would run for a very very long time from a 9V battery).

Also, who would want to build it themselves and how many would want a built device?

Bryce.

Fedeo

If is posible I prefer a built device. Battery seems more practical to me.

LambdaMikel

I'd prefer the assembled version, too.  ;)

Chinnery

I must admit a kit would be more fun, running from 5v, but am sure I could adapt the kit to my needs... may make the project more challenging :)

Bryce

Ok, I've decided to make it 3V to 10V, so you can connect it to whatever you want and power it how you want. I will build them for those who want and you can let me know how you'd like it powered. @Chinnery: A kit is no problem either. It's all thru-hole parts and if you are completely hamfisted at soldering I can include sockets.

Bryce.

Chinnery

Quote from: Bryce on 08:39, 01 March 18
@Chinnery: A kit is no problem either. It's all thru-hole parts and if you are completely hamfisted at soldering I can include sockets.
I was promoted from hamfisted to udder-fingers solderer not too long ago ;)
However, I've plenty of sockets here so that's fine!

Bryce

Congratulations on the promotion :D

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

A bit late to the party, but I would like to have one too  :) It still load tapes from time to time and the device would put an end to my childhood nightmares. Moreover, it can be particularly useful for the 6128+  :D .

Gryzor

One for me, please? Battery seems preferable... Also, a cool analog VU meter or something :D

LambdaMikel

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:19, 03 March 18
One for me, please? Battery seems preferable... Also, a cool analog VU meter or something :D

Yeah but these are expensive these days $£€  8)

Gryzor

That's not a  bad price, he can add LEDs, too :D

Bryce

Unfortunately an analogue display would require a completely different circuit, so an analogue version won't be possible.

Bryce.