News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

The 6128+ floppy drive - what's the model number?

Started by Spirantho, 20:54, 19 March 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirantho

Hi everybody,

can anyone help with the subject matter? I'm trying to source a replacement 3" drive for my 6128+ which is missing its own one. If someone could tell me the model number (e.g. in a 6128 it's EME-231 I think, something like that) I'd be grateful! It's a 5V drive (there's no 12V line) and there's practically no information on the net!

Thanks to anyone who can help!
Ian Gledhill
Mutant Caterpillar Games Ltd Retro Store for repairs and sales of 8-bit and 16-bit retro systems and software

Terje_Norway

Hi,

IF You are going to install / replace a disc drive on a CPCplus, You should be looking for a EME-157 disc drive, as that's the one used in these computers. Yes, it's a 5V disc drive. I have checked one of my CPCplus machines, and it uses these drives. They are probably among the most difficult disc drives to find on the net, so good luck searching for one.

If Your interested in more info concerning disc drives, You could have a look at the following posting I made some time ago.

Three 6128 and a lot of screws

(Not 100 % sure if the link works)

Yours

Terje Grind
NORWAY

PS I agree with You. It's very little info concerning disc drives on the CPCWiki. Perhaps we should have made up an article on the subject ? ? ?

PSS A quick search on ebay Amstrad drive 3 -sky | eBay revealed the following results. Mostly PCW disc drives  :(

MacDeath

Well well well... unless you have no CPC6128 (old) but/and a lot of old 3" floppies that you are still willing to use...

It is quite recommended to get some 3"1/2 disk drive : yet got to find a proper one.
Those can be so old/obsolete these days they are not that easy to find these days. in past years a lot of old Desktop PCs were put into garbage and had a floppy disk drive on them... it was a nice time to get some in reserve for free by scavenging old entral units (also some connectors, and power supplies...)

or even an HxC floppy disk emulator (but ok, those are a bit expensive).

BTW a real problem is that the CPC6128 (old) models are somewhat easier to find than the 5V PLUS ones...
Perhaps getting a PCW can also get you some interesting 3" diskdrives.

Also it may actually be easier to simply get another 6128PLUS than to find just the DiskDrive. (Perhaps not if outside France)

Most of those PLUS' only need a new drivebelt as usual.

Also, sorry dear Spirantho but where are you from ?
You can edit your profile so we can see your country... :)

I know that living far from France or Spain can make the quest for Amstrad stuff a pain in the moneybag...

Bryce

You could always use a standard 5V/12V Drive and make a small 5V to 12V DC DC Converter using an LM2577-12 or similar to make a 12V supply from the 5V available.

Bryce.

MacDeath

Stupid question : Is the power supply from a PLUS monitor strong enough ?

well, I guess so, as the Voltage is not relevant compaired to Amperes...

Also you may simply scavenge a PC powersupply, those can give you some 12V too (alongside 5V) but it will take more space on the table.

Bryce

Well the LM2577 can produce up to about 800mA 12V, but at 800mA output the 5V input will be pulling nearly 2A. That's always the way with step up regulators.

Bryce.

Spirantho

Thanks for the advice - I think I've found one as somebody has kindly offered me his old one!

If so, I just need to find the BASIC cart now, and then I can actually use the beastie. :)

Oh, I updated my profile. :)
Ian Gledhill
Mutant Caterpillar Games Ltd Retro Store for repairs and sales of 8-bit and 16-bit retro systems and software

Badstarr

Why not just burn the Basic cart image hosted on the wiki to some Flash RAM and install it in the Burnin' Rubber cart? Should be pretty trivial to do with your solder rework station especially after having successfully transplanted an ASIC. That way you still have Burnin' Rubber to play plus the system software, I have done this myself the whole process only took about 20 minutes!
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Spirantho

I thought of that, but the EPROM is too big - I need a burner that can do 27C1001, but mine can only do up to 27512.
Ian Gledhill

Bryce

You could still burn a 27C1001 with your burner, you just need to make an adapter and burn it in two parts, one with the MSB held low and the second half with the MSB held high. I used to do this way back.

Bryce.

Spirantho

Not without a hacksaw - the socket only has 28 pins!
I don't think that's what you meant when you said "burn it in two parts".....  :)

(Edit: I presume you mean an adaptor to raise it out of the socket... I guess it could work, yes!)
Ian Gledhill

Bryce

Yes, obviously with an adapter :D If you saw the end of an EPROM all the 1's and 0's would fall out! :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

That's why I always put a piece of paper underneath my PC when I try and overburn a CD.