News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Thinking of buying this 3/1/2 inch drive

Started by dcdrac, 00:01, 15 January 14

Previous topic - Next topic

dcdrac

If I buy this what else do I need to do to get it working? I have stcks of old 3 1/2 inch floppies I could possibly convert, old HD ones, is there any software tweaks I need to make?

I have parados on a cartridge will that be enough?

AMSTRAD CPC/SPECTRUM +3 FULL KIT: 3.5" DISK DRIVE + RIBBON CABLE + POWER CABLE |

Bryce

No software tweaks are needed, but you'll need to modify the drive to send a Ready signal and convert it to DS0 (PC drives are always set to DS1). Both of these changes are usually just soldered jumpers on the drives PCB.

Bryce.

steve

As it's a full kit, I would expect the drive to be modified already. ???

pacomix

I bought this kit from this guy and you don't need to worry about anything. If you buy the disk drive from him it will work out of the box.

Bryce

Ah, didn't realise the kit included the drive. Ikongrs doesn't modify Ready signal on the drive, he permanently sets it on the cable. I prefer to modify the drive so that the drive only says Ready when it really is ready.

Bryce.

dcdrac

ok doke so plug drive in, I guess I will need a disc that is a max of 720KB?

TFM

I agree with that. The Ready signal should be only ready when the drive really is ready to be used. Else there would be problems with some software.

However don't change DS1 to DS0 else the CPC has two A-drives instead one A and one B drive.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

dcdrac

I have forgotten the format command for AMSDOS,  I cannot recall if you ahd to do it n CPM or could do it from the Command line in AMSDOS

Whether it was Format A: or Format Disc

Got CPCXpDisc but it does not appear to like external USB floppy drives and will not format the floppy.

MacDeath

QuoteI prefer to modify the drive so that the drive only says Ready when it really is ready.
you sneaky creepy classy elegant magnificent dude...

dcdrac

guess I will need to use the CPM discs to do it none of the tools I have found so far support USB drives.

Bryce

Quote from: dcdrac on 23:59, 15 January 14
guess I will need to use the CPM discs to do it none of the tools I have found so far support USB drives.

CP/M doesn't support USB either :D

Bryce.

dcdrac

yes I know so will have to boot into CPM on the CPc swap drives then format the floppy.

Unless there is a Windows 7 64 bit version CPCXp

TFM

It should run with that, but not usb drives imho.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

robcfg

Quote from: dcdrac on 18:16, 16 January 14
yes I know so will have to boot into CPM on the CPc swap drives then format the floppy.

Unless there is a Windows 7 64 bit version CPCXp

Do you mean a Win7 64 Bit CPCDiskXP version? Because I use the regular one on my 64 bit Win7 and works flawlessly. Maybe you have an outdated version of the fdrawcmd driver?

dcdrac

might be the driver I guess that's gettable from MS?

Found it but I will not install but it cannot find a floppy drive lol

robcfg

dcdrac

yes tried it keeps telling me no floppy detected, there isn't one, or does not support USB Floppy drives.

dcdrac

ok found a formatted floppy and copied a dsk file to it I guess I have to convert that somehow

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

dcdrac

that's hitting the buffer of the fdinsatll not liking usb floppy drives is there another tool out three?

dcdrac

00WReX

The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

robcfg

Anyway, USB floppies are a no-go, as the programs cannot access the controller directly.

You'll have to install a real floppy attached to your motherboard.

00WReX

I only have a USB floppy these days, nothing else.

I use "writeDSK" all the time to get DSK's from my laptop to the CPC.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

JonB

Quote from: Bryce on 10:00, 15 January 14
No software tweaks are needed, but you'll need to modify the drive to send a Ready signal and convert it to DS0 (PC drives are always set to DS1). Both of these changes are usually just soldered jumpers on the drives PCB.

Bryce.

Hi Bryce

I have one of these kits and the floppy, as you say, doesn't send RDY, or rather it is always RDY. This is unfortunate because DISCKIT3 wants all disks removed before it will exit, and it must be using RDY=FALSE to tell if you complied. How do you convert the drive to proper RDY functioning?

Cheers

JonB