News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Tomahawk/Pacman Joysticks and CPC 6128

Started by gaos74, 22:33, 17 September 17

Previous topic - Next topic

gaos74

I talked via PM with with VincentGR and Gryzor about this subject.

I would like to thank them for their help and Gryzor suggested that I should open a thread.

I have the legendary Pacman joystick:

I had heard when I was a kid that it may fry the 6128 ( I had switched to Amiga when I purchased it).

Is this true?

I am awaiting my 6128 off ebay and would like to use it in case there is no danger.

Ace

I think the problem with the fried Amstrads, was with some metal joysticks with a second joystick port attached to the body. Back in the days I heard that one shouldn't touch the pins of that second port, or the CPC went goner, but I don't know exactly what was the failure, or the symptoms.

I have one of those though, a CMS one with a second port, as well as a Tomahawk one and I haven't encountered this kind of problems.

pelrun

Electrostatic discharge into the joystick port can really easily kill your CPC. If you touch the port pins when you've got a charge built up you'll send all that current into the AY soundchip, which also handles the keyboard.

It's very likely that a metal-cased joystick connects the case to what it thinks is a ground pin on the port. Unfortunately due to the way that Amstrad wired the port, there isn't a true ground pin available that could provide a safe discharge path for the ESD - all the pins go into the AY chip. So picking up the stick is the same risk as touching the port.

That said, there's no guarantee that a plastic joystick is safe either. I killed my 6128 back in the 80's by holding a connected plastic-cased joystick and touching the monitor glass (which was significantly charged at the time).

amijim

Just to sum up,is it safe to use the tomahawk joystick with amstrad considering no live plug into the joystick port?I just received my pair of anerousis joysticks since i had sold my original one back in 2003.

Gryzor

This went nowhere then?

I remember using those (the metal versions) with my 464/6128. Never had an 'incident'. However, I've heard since that indeed some are wired in such a way that they  may damage the CPC... Weird.

Gryzor

Incidentally, those *are* the best retro joysticks ever produced. It's such a shame they were only available in Greece; for decades the world was looking for 'arcade' controllers and we had them locally produced :D

VincentGR

Probably they should reverse the fire button.
We are the only one who have the stick on the right  ;D

Gryzor

Never had a preference myself, always could work both configurations and never understood people who whined about the one or the other!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

VincentGR

Although I can use both hands with keyboard games and left for joypads, can't do that with a joystick.

TotO

In arcade, the stick is on left and buttonS on the right... I will never understand why (except Vectrex) those console joysticks are not properly designed.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

VincentGR

It wasn't like that, at least here 95%
After the potentiometer and only buttons era, sticks were in the middle or right side.
They changed that to make games more difficult, that is what I red  :-X

Gryzor

There's no 'proper' design. It's just how one is used to.