News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

[Solved] Totally lost with my HxC

Started by ced64k, 21:37, 15 November 12

Previous topic - Next topic

ced64k

I just received my HxC SD floppy emulator but of course... I can't make it work  :D

I also bought an AMSTRAD / SPECTRUM +3 KIT:RIBBON CABLE AND PSU FOR 3,5" FLOPPY DRIVE OR HxC EMU on eBay

The author wrote :

Quote- Convert the normally externall 3.5" drive 'B' to 'A'. This is ESPECIALLY useful, as MANY games REQUIRE DISK TO BE IN DRIVE 'A' in order to run.  NO NEED TO WRITE ALL THE TIME '|B' TO ACCESS YOUR 3.5" DISKS. Also useful if your internal 3" old drive is not working and so YOU CAN USE THE 3.5" EXTERNAL AS "INTERNAL"!

Easy no ?  :D

The cable looks like this, with one "link" between two pins and 2 switchs.

I unplugged the internal 3" drive and I plugged the cable into the Amstrad disk drive 2 port. But I don't know if the link should be present, and if the switches should be set on or off...

I plugged the cable to the HxC, set to jumper in drive B position. The sdcard is formatted in fat32, with a few .hfe images and the HXCSDFE.CFG file (should I configure something with this file ?)

Select the B drive

And all I have is a freeze on the cpc when I type |B or cat  :-[

I tried differents configuration (reverse the cable, set to drive A, switches in different position, pc power supply; etc), result is the same or a "Disk Missing".

My final goal is to use the HxC on the disk drive 2 port as drive A. It's possible I think ? I don't know exactly what to do with the 2 switches on the cable and if I put the red cable on the correct side :/

Thanks !

ced64k

Solved  ;D

I have reversed the cable on the HxC, set one switch to ON (the 23-24 pins I think) and the other to OFF.

arnoldemu

Quote from: ced64k on 22:43, 15 November 12
Solved  ;D

I have reversed the cable on the HxC, set one switch to ON (the 23-24 pins I think) and the other to OFF.
look the amstrad has hardware motion blur.
look at the characters ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

ced64k

It makes me think that take a good photo of a crt screen is not easy (remember all those 80-90 magazines :D )

radu14m

looks nice mate !
did you plan to mount the HxC inside the case ?

ced64k

No I prefer leave my CPC as it, I don't like drills hole or cut old plastics :) But I hope to make a nice case for the HxC with 3D printing, a bit like this one.

OCT

Wait a minute... Why do they look crisp and green like OLEDs :) rather than blue-backlit LCDs?
Has Lotharek changed displays lately or is this from another source?
Quote from: ced64k on 21:37, 15 November 12

ced64k

Quote from: OCT on 23:28, 06 December 12
Wait a minute... Why do they look crisp and green like OLEDs :) rather than blue-backlit LCDs?
Has Lotharek changed displays lately or is this from another source?

You can choose the color (black, red, blue, white, green and blue). I choose the green one, like my old GT65 screen :D

00WReX

Quote from: ced64k on 00:52, 07 December 12I choose the green one, like my old GT65 screen :D

I think the green looks really nice, I like it.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

OCT

Quote from: ced64k on 00:52, 07 December 12
You can choose the color (black, red, blue, white, green and blue). I choose the green one, like my old GT65 screen :D
So this is still an LCD, albeit with a user-settable multi-color LED?
I'm asking since the display looks so much sharper than on any other pictures posted here or even by lotharek1977 himself on eBay.
And there are pin-compatible OLEDs on the market, much more expensive and with "just" some tens of thousands of lifetime hours, but largely independent of viewing angles (unlike LCDs).

Bryce

No, the ones Lotharek uses are all LCD, not OLED. They are just inverted (ie: black background with coloured text) that tend to look sharper. But they aren't "user settable multi-colour", they are three different devices, you choose the colour when you buy. There are pin compatible OLED displays, but as you've guessed, they cost a bit more:

EA W162-XLG - Display OLED, 2x16, 84x44mm, gelb bei reichelt elektronik

Bryce.

ced64k

Quote from: OCT on 08:00, 07 December 12
I'm asking since the display looks so much sharper than on any other pictures posted here or even by lotharek1977 himself on eBay.

Thanks to the Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro of my girlfriend  :D

OCT

Quote from: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089222It's not a camera, it's an icon / a Nikon.
Gotcha! (1985) - IMDb (same year as our dear) :D

Gryzor

Damn, when I purchased my HxC's there was no green option. Indeed it looks very cool!