News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Two versions of 128k CPC+ cartridge?

Started by zup, 09:47, 20 May 14

Previous topic - Next topic

zup

I've made a small guide (in spanish) about converting a standard 128k cartridge to a 2*128k cartridge (also to a 4*128k cartridge, but I haven't put it online yet) so I could use two OSs on my CPC+ (normal and ParaDOS).

To make a 4*128k cartridge, I need to cut away LK1 and replace it with a 10K ohm resistor, and I've found that Amstrad made two different boards of the 128k cartridge with the same part number. The wiki shows this photos (a friend of mine have a spanish system cartridge equal to this one). Note that the component side has a dotted background and says CB-1. The solder side has both points of LK1 connected directly to +5v trace:

These are the photos of my cartridge. It was a Burnin' Rubber cartridge for GX4000 (red label). Note that the component side has a filled background. The solder side has only one point of LK1 connected directly to +5v, the other point is linked to it via a small trace.

Should these differences be noted on the wiki?

Bryce

There's even a third 128K version with an extra LK (slightly hidden in this picture under the capacitor): http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/File:Cartridge-PT-NO-Z90903-MS0201A-Installed.jpg

Bryce.

zup

Yep, but that one have a different part number (or board number). What puzzles me is that Amstrad distributed that two cartridges with same board number, instead of calling them something like 2700-023P-1 and 2700-023P-2.

They are almost the same and should no make difference what board is used, but most hardware makers usually give them different assembly numbers.

Bryce

That's true, maybe they were just produced by different suppliers and the ref. No. refers to the schematic and not the layout.

Bryce.