News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Wanted: replacement internal cpc6128 floppy cables

Started by zhulien, 13:07, 26 December 23

Previous topic - Next topic

zhulien

Hi, I am in need of 5 internal 6128 floppy cables. The reason is to put them into my 664s to reach the HxC drives and the original 664 cables are too short.  Anyone have any done cables?  You would carefully pry the ribbons off the motherboard pins (i will push them back onto the 664 realigning the ribbon holes). I believe there were multiple lengths of floppy cables so the longer the better.  The reason why is the HxC drives are shorter than the 3" ones.

Also prefer you don't destroy perfect working 6128s if you can avoid that.

Thanks

00WReX

The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

eto

or just a cable extension with female connector on one side and male connector on the other?

zhulien

I like the cable extension option but its kinda expensive isn't it?

eto

Quote from: zhulien on 20:34, 26 December 23I like the cable extension option but its kinda expensive isn't it?
Price per 10cm extensions is about $3 incl. shipping

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32950903082.html

darkhalf

Those Aliexpress cables look like a good option but max length 30cm

With the CPC6128 I tended to just make an extension from the external (B) drive port direct to the drive and then use the Drive A/B slot switch to make the gotek primary (A)

Ikonsgr sells those ones here:
https://retroworkbench.blogspot.com/p/35-diskgotekhxc-drive-cables-power.html

Also built my own using some ribbon cable and crimping the IDE and slot connections (both available from Aliexpress). Similar to this (but that cable is IDE 34 pin x 3 for DDI1/DDI3):
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/155707201161
CPC464/GT64, CPC464 Plus/CTM640, 2 x CPC6128/CTM644

eto

Quote from: darkhalf on 01:13, 27 December 23Those Aliexpress cables look like a good option but max length 30cm
If 30cm is not enough then I did not understand the original post. My understanding is, that the HxC is shorter than the 3" drive so he needs longer cables to connect it (internally). If that's the correct assumption, then the 10cm version should definitely be enough and could even be shortened.

The cables on AliExpress are definitely not the right ones for an external cable.

darkhalf

QuoteIf 30cm is not enough then I did not understand the original post
Yeah I was trying to figure out the use case, ie. needing 5 of them, and assumed to join them to make the drive external. Could be completely off track on this

zhulien

Quote from: eto on 09:25, 27 December 23
Quote from: darkhalf on 01:13, 27 December 23Those Aliexpress cables look like a good option but max length 30cm
If 30cm is not enough then I did not understand the original post. My understanding is, that the HxC is shorter than the 3" drive so he needs longer cables to connect it (internally). If that's the correct assumption, then the 10cm version should definitely be enough and could even be shortened.

The cables on AliExpress are definitely not the right ones for an external cable.

You understood correctly, the 664 internal cable is about 2cm too short

zhulien

Quote from: darkhalf on 12:23, 27 December 23
Yeah I was trying to figure out the use case, ie. needing 5 of them, and assumed to join them to make the drive external. Could be completely off track on this
Nope, it is for 5 664s 

darkhalf

xesrjb

Quote from: zhulien on 21:27, 27 December 23
Quote from: darkhalf on 12:23, 27 December 23
Nope, it is for 5 664s
CPC 664 are scrap! Send them to me for putting in a litter box🤣

xesrjb 
,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

xesrjb

Quote from: eto on 22:26, 26 December 23
Quote from: zhulien on 20:34, 26 December 23I like the cable extension option but its kinda expensive isn't it?

Just ordered..., thanks!

xesrjb 
,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

zhulien

Quote from: darkhalf on 23:14, 27 December 23You have 5 of these  :o
I read A long time ago there was a disproportionate number of 664s shipped to Australia.  I don't know how true it is but at one time I has 12 of them, before they were considered super rare.  Plus machines on the other hand were never officially imported here which sucks.  I have quite a lot of cpcs, mainly for spares and we use them at my work for software dev and experimentation for basic IO (like old PLCs).  In thr 90s they did sell new CPM machines here too in the blackwoods catalog for about au$2500 each. They were industrial machines for those who still had old z80 based machine control stuff.  They were way too expensive for me at the time so we used CPCs instead. A mixture of 6128s mainly and 664s also.  We even had a 464 with dd1 used in the office for invoicing until the late 90s which was funny because everyone else obviously had moved on.  Anyway I inherited the 464 and a bunch if 664s and 6128s.  I imported plus machines myself though and really like these most. I did grow up though with a 464 (my first computer) and eventually I got a 664 which I still have now in disrepair I think... I think totally now I have 2 464s, 4 6128s, 6 664s, 11 6128pluses, 2 just128k, 1 just cpc atx and a t-rex.  Aside from that a bunch of MSXs, c64s, spectrums, an atari XEGS and a mega 65.  Spectrum next on the way.  I have a couple of sega computers too.

xesrjb

Quote from: xesrjb on 14:03, 28 December 23
Quote from: eto on 22:26, 26 December 23

Just ordered..., thanks!

xesrjb
Arrived today...

xesrjb 

zhulien

Anyone have a parts list?  In the 90s I destroyed my 6128Plus internal drive due to wrong wiring.

https://retrocdn.net/images/4/43/AmstradAction_UK_041.pdf

Anyone make or sell nice metal 3.5" boxes or 3" boxes for those drives that are external?