News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

USB mouse adapter

Started by 00WReX, 10:21, 07 December 12

Previous topic - Next topic

00WReX

Today I was at the local supermarket and noticed a cheap USB mouse that I thought would be good to use with the USB mouse adapter card by Bryce.

I have a USB mouse for it already, but I liked the look of this one as it reminded me of a slightly retro looking mouse.

It's the white one in the pic...the red one is my existing one I have been using with the adqapter.

[attachimg=1]

Unfortunately when i plugged it in to the adapter it is not recognised (LED does not give the initial single flash).

If I plug it into my Windows 7 laptop it works fine so it was not DOA.

I just had another look at the wiki page,

PS2Mouse - CPCWiki

and the only thing I noticed was this...

QuoteThe driver is purely a PS/2 driver, this means that even if a USB mouse is
connected, it is being forced into PS/2 mode, so if the mouse does not support
the PS/2 protocol it will not work with this device, but luckily all standard
USB mice seem to still support PS/2.

does this indicate that this mouse is not using the PS/2 protocol ?

If this is the case then I assume new USB mice will be the same so may not work with the adapter ??

Initially I just thought a USB mouse was a USB mouse and if it had a cable and physical connector then they would all be the same but it appears not...Any thoughts ?

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Bryce

USB mice mouses pointing devices usually have a PS/2 fallback mode. That means that they initially try to work in USB mode. However if the host starts "talking" to them using the PS/2 protocol, they are supposed to switch to PS/2 mode. Most branded devices do this, the exception being gaming mice that have lots of extra buttons or super fast reaction times that PS/2 couldn't handle. Unfortunately many cheap no-name devices have not followed the standard and only work in USB mode, probably because they are using cheap USB client ICs instead of writing the software themselves. Looks like you've got one there, sorry :(
I've tried loads of different PS/2 and USB mice on the adapter and only very few didn't work.

Bryce.

00WReX

Thanks for the reply Bryce, it was definately a cheapie so that explains it.
Not an issue, I was just naive in thinking just because it had a USB connector and cable (not wireless or bluetooth or anything) that it would just work.

Thanks,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Bryce

I searched the interweb for a list of non-PS/2 compatible USB mice when I was building the adapters, but I couldn't find anything. Maybe we could start a list of known good/bad devices?

Bryce.

00WReX

OK, I'll start the list,

1) Don't buy cheap & nasty "USB mice mouses pointing devices" from the local supermarket... ;)

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki