News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Wanted: CPC+ PCB

Started by Bryce, 12:16, 07 October 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi all,
     does anyone out there have a working or fixable [NB]As long as the ASIC is good I consider it fixable[/NB]464+ or 6128+ PCB that they are willing to sell/trade? I don't need the case, just the PCB.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 12:16, 07 October 14
Hi all,
     does anyone out there have a working or fixable [NB]As long as the ASIC is good I consider it fixable[/NB]464+ or 6128+ PCB that they are willing to sell/trade? I don't need the case, just the PCB.

Bryce.
I possibly have 2 you are welcome to then, they were both failed a long time ago. So I cannot remember the symptoms.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

Cool! Can you send them over and we can work something out.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Sure can, one is missing an ay and I need to find the other. Just out of interest, is this a new project needing an Asic? (not my 464+ I hope)

Bryce

No, your PCB is fine. This new project needs a fully working board, not just the ASIC.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

I've just looked at them, one was a donor ay for the other, so one has no ay, and the other has it socketed. They are yours if you want them.

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:48, 07 October 14
I've just looked at them, one was a donor ay for the other, so one has no ay, and the other has it socketed. They are yours if you want them.
Now I am home from Work I was adout to test them.... the one without the AY is also missing a CPU, But I have spare CPU's so I can drop that back in, more drastically they are both missing power connectors so I cannot easily test them.

Will they suffice for your needs in this state of dismantledness?

Craig

Bryce

Yeah, no probs. I have CPUs and power sockets here :)

Bryce.

TFM

Good luck with the Plus Laptop with LCD then Bryce!  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Well guessed :) I got my hands on a Compaq LTE 4/25e: http://www.computissimo.ch/image-ordis/comp-lite25e.jpg in good condition. A Plus PCB could fit inside. Plan is to keep the 3.5in drive, plus a HxC, MegaFlash, AMX adapter (connected to the trackball on the lid) and use the original LCD and keyboard. This is the tricky bit. It has a 640x480 LCD that I think I can interface to. The keyboard will be trickier, I'll probably have to use micro hub-switches. Interesting project though :) The cartridge will get a socket at the side or front, all other ports will be at the back (Printer/expansion/drive/Monitor/Power/Joysticks) plus maybe s-video.

Bryce.

radu14m

Nice project Bryce  ;D

Bryce

It's just an idea at the moment. It may not work, I haven't planned it fully yet.

Bryce.

radu14m

Keep us updatet Bryce :)

Bryce

If it makes it to being built, then I'll document it in a thread. I need to get the electronics solved before I start beating it into the case :) I'm also looking at using the original battery (I have two of them). I'll work out how long a CPC would run from it. If it's worth doing I'll try to make it really portable.

Bryce.

Munchausen

I had that laptop years ago. Nice little machine. I've had a CPC laptop plan in the back of my mind for a long time (as I mentioned in the portable spectrum/cpc thread), but I would use a GX4000 board because it's so much smaller. Are you sure you can fit everything in?

I think I *may* still have the LCD around somewhere if that's any use to you? I do still have the trackball as well I think.

BTW I have a feeling that they dont have a "standard" laptop 3.5" drive connector, but I'm not 100% sure because I can't remember which of my slimline 3.5" drives came form where - I have some with a small IDC cable instead of an FPC flexi cable. You can find adapters for the flexi cables, but would have to figure out the pinout of the IDC version.

Bryce

Quote from: Munchausen on 09:21, 11 October 14
I had that laptop years ago. Nice little machine. I've had a CPC laptop plan in the back of my mind for a long time (as I mentioned in the portable spectrum/cpc thread), but I would use a GX4000 board because it's so much smaller. Are you sure you can fit everything in?

I think I *may* still have the LCD around somewhere if that's any use to you? I do still have the trackball as well I think.

BTW I have a feeling that they dont have a "standard" laptop 3.5" drive connector, but I'm not 100% sure because I can't remember which of my slimline 3.5" drives came form where - I have some with a small IDC cable instead of an FPC flexi cable. You can find adapters for the flexi cables, but would have to figure out the pinout of the IDC version.

The 464/6128+ PCB fits in if you remove the "finger" for the floppy connector. The drive in the laptop is a standard 26pin laptop pinout, so I can make an adapter for that. I've posted the information somewhere here on the Forum before. The trackball seems to be PS/2, so interfacing to that shouldn't be an issue. I just have to find solutions for RGB to LVDS (LCD) and for the keyboard, then I'm sorted.  I also need to check out the invertor for the LCD illumination. Powering that might be an issue.

Bryce.

Bryce.