News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Wanting to max out my 464

Started by Dizrythmia, 05:55, 26 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizrythmia

Hello all, I haven't posted on this board for quite a number of years. I was a member of the old CPC Zone, but I've been taking a long break with uni, jumping from job to job & living quarters to living quarters... basically I've stopped & restarted my life. I'm in a job I love now & back in my house, so all is good with the world again!

Anyway, it's good to be back  :)

I have a few questions & I was wondering whether anyone would be able to assist.

I own a 464, 6128 & GX4000. The 6128 I would like to leave untouched (as that was the machine I grew up with. Childhood memories & all that), but I would like to bump up the specs on the 464. It's an original 464, as opposed to the cut down later models.

I was wondering where I might be able to get ahold of an Amstrad 40025 ROM. I would like to have the 464 & 6128 ROMs switchable, but I need the 6128 ROM first! If they're not available online does anyone have a spare they would be willing to sell?

Is it possible to upgrade the internal RAM to 128k? I do have a dk'tronics 64k RAM expansion that I was going to upgrade to 256k using the instructions here, but if I could upgrade the RAM internally that would seem like a better option. The more RAM the better, right?

With is the best DOS to use? I can see Parados gets a fair bit of love, so I was going to lean towards using that in my DD1 interface, but I thought I would ask the experts first.

Speaking of the DD1 interface, if I wanted to make this internal how difficult would it be? I know there's a lot of free physical space in the 464 so I assume getting it in there would be no problem

I've been trying to track down a ROM box, but I've been thinking that a better solution would be to have the ROM board inside the 464, though this may make switching individual ROMs on & off difficult depending on whether I want to hack the case or not... What does everyone else think?

I recently purchased an ex warehouse DD1 case without the drive, with the intent of installing either a Gotek or HxC, though after speaking to an Amiga owner at a the South Australian Amiga club last night I'm leaning more towards the HxC. I have another DD1 with a 3" drive, so I would be looking at using both & having an ABBA switch to change the primary drive.

Which HxC device would fit nicely inside the DD1 case & would I need to change any of the wiring? (all the wiring is there, it's just missing the drive).

I think that's all for now. Thankyou kindly for any responses I get.

bjt

Can't answer your questions I'm afraid but am interested as well. I have an unexpanded 464 too. So far I've ordered the clone DD1 and am planning to use it with a HxC flashed Gotek.

I have a HxC slim on another machine and agree that it's much nicer hardware, but it seems that the Gotek is very effective for CPC.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 05:55, 26 May 15
Hello all, I haven't posted on this board for quite a number of years. I was a member of the old CPC Zone, but I've been taking a long break with uni, jumping from job to job & living quarters to living quarters... basically I've stopped & restarted my life. I'm in a job I love now & back in my house, so all is good with the world again!

Anyway, it's good to be back  :)

I have a few questions & I was wondering whether anyone would be able to assist.

I own a 464, 6128 & GX4000. The 6128 I would like to leave untouched (as that was the machine I grew up with. Childhood memories & all that), but I would like to bump up the specs on the 464. It's an original 464, as opposed to the cut down later models.

I was wondering where I might be able to get ahold of an Amstrad 40025 ROM. I would like to have the 464 & 6128 ROMs switchable, but I need the 6128 ROM first! If they're not available online does anyone have a spare they would be willing to sell?

Is it possible to upgrade the internal RAM to 128k? I do have a dk'tronics 64k RAM expansion that I was going to upgrade to 256k using the instructions here, but if I could upgrade the RAM internally that would seem like a better option. The more RAM the better, right?

With is the best DOS to use? I can see Parados gets a fair bit of love, so I was going to lean towards using that in my DD1 interface, but I thought I would ask the experts first.

Speaking of the DD1 interface, if I wanted to make this internal how difficult would it be? I know there's a lot of free physical space in the 464 so I assume getting it in there would be no problem

I've been trying to track down a ROM box, but I've been thinking that a better solution would be to have the ROM board inside the 464, though this may make switching individual ROMs on & off difficult depending on whether I want to hack the case or not... What does everyone else think?

I recently purchased an ex warehouse DD1 case without the drive, with the intent of installing either a Gotek or HxC, though after speaking to an Amiga owner at a the South Australian Amiga club last night I'm leaning more towards the HxC. I have another DD1 with a 3" drive, so I would be looking at using both & having an ABBA switch to change the primary drive.

Which HxC device would fit nicely inside the DD1 case & would I need to change any of the wiring? (all the wiring is there, it's just missing the drive).

I think that's all for now. Thankyou kindly for any responses I get.
OK, I can answer a few of these......

Parados rocks! It is the premier disc os  for CPC.

Don't bother with a ROM box, get the ddi1 replacement, put parados in it and fit it internally, that way you will also have internal space for an xmem which will give you 576k ram and 16 ROM slots.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Dizrythmia

Brilliant, thanks for all the help! I've never done a hardware project before, so this is all new to me. So I will install my DD1 internally with ParaDOS & buy an X-MEM & install that too. I see they also sell the Amstrad 40025, so that solves another problem. I'll buy those next week when I get paid...

I need to actually open the 464 to see what space is like internally. I've only ever opened my 6128 to replace the drive belt. I also have a Multiface, though the thing has proven to be a lot less useful than Amstrad Action used to boast. I've never had a Poke work and you never know if a tape backup to disc is actually going to work. It's useful, don't get me wrong, but not AS useful as I've been led to believe. I was considering trying to cram this inside the 464 as well, but I might leave it out.

I've been told that SymbOS won't work on a 464 with any configuration. Has anyone had any luck? If that's the case I can always pimp out my 6128 when I've finished with the 464.

What do I need to do to get a HxC working in a DD1 bay? It looks like some rewiring is in order, but I don't know what exactly.

Thanks again!

CraigsBar

Synods should work on your 464 once you have the xmem and ddi1. The hxc believe is a simple plug and play option once you have set its jumpers to be drive a.

bjt

Have been looking at the XMEM too, looks ideal for expanding a 464 as it can be used to override the firmware and basic roms.

One thing I can't work out is how to connect both the DDI-1 (no passthrough) and the XMEM. The MotherX4 board has a passthrough but that would necessitate a 34-way female idc to male edge connector cable of some kind, and a large chain of stuff hanging off the CPC.

Really don't want to solder to the CPC PCB if it could be avoided.

CraigsBar

If the CPC 464 PCB has the same centronics connectors in Germany then adding internal expansions can be done using these solder points. So the risk is minimal. And all expansions are then internal.

Dizrythmia

Are there any online guides on how to do these internal modifications?

Is the dk'tronics RAM pack compatible with the X-MEM, or should I not worry about using it?

CraigsBar

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 05:23, 29 May 15
Are there any online guides on how to do these internal modifications?

Is the dk'tronics RAM pack compatible with the X-MEM, or should I not worry about using it?
with the xmem you will have the maximum ram possible anyway. The dk is therefore not necessary

steve

The maximum amount of ram that can be accessed by the CPC is 4MB, although the design of most memory expansions do not allow this.

gerald

Quote from: steve on 15:26, 30 May 15
The maximum amount of ram that can be accessed by the CPC is 4MB, although the design of most memory expansions do not allow this.
The amount of memory you can access with a CPC is unlimited. The limiting factor is the access method and SW support for the method  ;)

If you stick to the DK'Tronic standard, the limit is 512k. You can get this amount of RAM by
- using DkTronics 256k RAM + 256k silicon disk (expect to pay a lot for this  ;D )
- using a SymbifaceII (all sold, no new batch planned AFAIK)
- using a XMEM from TotO (Check Cent Pour Cent - CPC News store for availability)

2Mb/4Mb expansion are using address bits as configuration data, hence uses different IO port, and I would not considered this as standard.
None of them was widely distributed, and none of them are available for buy nowadays  ::)

Dizrythmia

Would you recommend upgrading my dk'tronics 64k RAM pack to 256k or a 256k silicon disc?

CraigsBar

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 02:36, 31 May 15
Would you recommend upgrading my dk'tronics 64k RAM pack to 256k or a 256k silicon disc?
No, I'd recommend an X-Mem, as this has the exact same functionality as BOTH a 256k ram AND 256k Silidisc, and much more as well for a fraction of the price.

Dizrythmia

I would use the X-Mem for the 464, but for my 6128 I thought I would upgrade the RAM pack & use it on that. Definitely going for an X-Mem, just have to see how finances are this week :)

TFM

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 05:55, 26 May 15

Here my 3 Pfennige... Stick with the 6128 because it has more banking mode which are needed for modern games and OS (CP/M Plus and FutureOS f.e.). Without modification you can add an X-MEM which provides enough RAM (512 KB) and FlashROM (512 KB) for having everything in RAM, and so available after switching on the CPC.
An HxC is good for your 464, but also as B-Drive for the 6128. This brings us to the DOS. ParaDOS in nice, use VaraDOS for support of Vortex format. I personally prefer X-DDOS from Dobbertin because is provides a big range of really useful RSX commands and supports Vortex format from the beginning. Also you can add R-DOS for having a 444 KB RAM drive C under Basic and CP/M.
The PlayCity is the new "hot" hardware coming up, providing enhanced features for the CPC. Check it out.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Dizrythmia

The PlayCity looks interesting. It has a lot of features but is there software out there that will take advantage of them?

TFM

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 05:17, 02 June 15
The PlayCity looks interesting. It has a lot of features but is there software out there that will take advantage of them?

Yes, look at the appropriate CPCWiki page:

Software Supporting PlayCity - CPCWiki

General information:

PlayCity - CPCWiki
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

bjt

Now that the DDI-1 and Gotek are up and running, I've ordered an X-Mem for my 464. Will mount it internally as there's plenty of unused space with the late-model PCBs. Looking forward to playing with it.

Dizrythmia

Been meaning to for a few weeks but money has been scarce. I should be able to afford one this week. I'm thinking that installing it internally might be a good idea actually...