News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

What to buy for 464 to remove tape loading.

Started by Carnivius, 15:09, 01 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnivius

I think I asked a similar thing a while ago but I can't find the topic.

What do I need to buy for my CPC 464 to have no tape loading at all?  At moment it's nice using a cassette adaptor to run games off my phone but they still take a while to load (and not always reliable, still cannot get Switchblade to work with that method).  So  X-mems, ddis, hxc and so on.   Now I use a SCART cable with my 464 it means I've got more space at the back of the CPC.   And how do I go about putting software onto whatever it is that loads the games and does it run cdt or dsk files?   I would like a quote for the stuff I need and maybe make a purchase within the next week or so.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

CraigsBar

Assuming you want to use dsk files for fast and reliable loading then you need a ddi1 remake and a disk device. Personally I'd recommend a ddi1 remake and an HxC SD floppy emulator.

If you add an xmem as well then 128k disc games will work too.

Until acmedos comes then there is no point in an x-mass for amsdos, only symbos.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Carnivius

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:15, 01 May 15
Assuming you want to use dsk files for fast and reliable loading then you need a ddi1 remake and a disk device. Personally I'd recommend a ddi1 remake and an HxC SD floppy emulator.

If you add an xmem as well then 128k disc games will work too.

Sounds good.  Where do I purchase?

Until acmedos comes then there is no point in an x-mass for amsdos, only symbos.

Ok I don't understand what acmedos is... or x-mass...or amsdos....or symbos...   so I presuming I don't need that stuff?   :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

CraigsBar

Quote from: Carnivac on 15:20, 01 May 15
Sounds good.  Where do I purchase?

Ok I don't understand what acmedos is... or x-mass...or amsdos....or symbos...   so I presuming I don't need that stuff?   :)

Ok the ddi-1 is here
http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/3774

And the HxC
http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=13

Regards

Craig

Carnivius

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:32, 01 May 15
Ok the ddi-1 is here
Amstrad DDI-1 clone, floppy drive interface

And the HxC
http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=13

Regards

Craig

Cheers. Hm, so the HxC loads from SD cards and doesn't come with one.  So I need to buy one on top of everything else.  And I'd need a SD card reader for my laptop too to put files onto it?

Looks like I'm gonna end up spending over £100 on all the stuffs. :P

CraigsBar

Their are other hxc's available that use USB etc, but the SD one is way nicer... And easier to use IMHO.

And yes, this adding disc support has never been cheap. :(

robcfg

I think it would be much easier to buy a 6128...

Carnivius

Quote from: robcfg on 15:57, 01 May 15

Please let's not start that again.   I want to upgrade my 464 to run software quickly and perhaps make use of extra 128k features where possible.  That is all.

robcfg

That's ok, I just suggested to go the 6128 route as it would be cheaper and less cluttered, but I do understand your reasons.

CraigsBar

Quote from: robcfg on 15:57, 01 May 15
even with a 6128 you still have to add the HxC for the same functionality.

robcfg

Sure, but a 6128 plus HxC combo is much easier to get than a 464+Ram expansion+DDI-1+HxC...

And you can get a flashed Gotek Drive and replace the 3" drive or connect it as an external drive. Again, much easier.

Anyway, it's just an opinion, and Carnivac is quite sure of what is his will, so nothing more to discuss here.  ;)

CraigsBar

I, to some extent agree with @Carnivac. If I had space I'd love a CPC 464, ddi-1 and ram expansion. I was my first computer and, whilst my 6128s are technically superior, part of me wants the original again. But cost and space are important, and I don't have much of either so I stick with my 3 pluses, 2 CPC 6128s and gx4000! I am a lucky chap really lol.

MacDeath

QuotePlease let's not start that again.
Or else you should try to get your hands on a CPC664... it looks a bit more like a 464 actually.
:laugh:

More seriously, if you have an old 3"1/2 disk drive, you can put that instead of HxC... So you still have real Disks...
I use this, as I still have WinXp PCs with internal Floppies... and could find brand new boxes of floppies as well.

The X-MASS also seems to be a nice addition, basically a HDD solution.

It's not like many nice peripherals weren't released those 2 last years for CPCs.

TFM

Quote from: Carnivac on 15:09, 01 May 15
What do I need to buy for my CPC 464 to have no tape loading at all? 

A 6128. I know you don't like to hear that. But you can keep em both.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus