News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-MEM internal install to 464 with pics

Started by bjt, 10:16, 14 October 15

Previous topic - Next topic

bjt

First off, thanks to TotO for the X-MEM, it rocks ;D

All you need for this is the X-MEM, a 50-way ribbon cable with a female IDC connector and some means of mounting the X-MEM to the case. I used sticky pads. An easy way to get a ready-made cable is to buy a 50-way internal SCSI cable like this one: NEW! Quad SCSI I/II Cable 0.9m | eBay

Unfortunately this method will only work with the V3 or cost-down 464 PCBs as the earlier versions don't have the holes by the edge connector.

First step is to clear any holes that came filled with solder from the factory. I used a solder pump for this.

Then prepare the cable by removing the IDC connector from one end. I found that that IDC connector had scored the insulation at the end of the cable so I could strip it to a perfect length for soldering just by pulling the insulation off by hand.
I soldered the row of wires furthest away from the edge connector first, the second row then went much faster as the cable wasn't moving around as much. Nevertheless this part probably took a couple of hours with breaks. Be 100% sure your pins match up before you get too far along :-)

After some final multimeter checks the whole lot went back into the case without problems.

It's alive! I was able to flash BASIC 1.1 and I have level music in Hero Quest and speech in Chase HQ, so I guess it's working.

Really chuffed that the green-screen 464 I got as kid now has colour, 128k and a disc drive  :P

||C|-|E||

It is really cool! Good that the old 464 has lots of free space inside!  :D

Kris

Nice integration :)
It must have been a pain to sold all those wires ! :-\

Bryce

TFM

IMHO I would keep the 50 pole cable from expansion port shorter. The shorter the better.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

bjt

||C|-|E||

Token

Good job! Loved the photo with the 3D bat, the colors..(nice screen)

Audronic

@bjt

"" I found that that IDC connector had scored the insulation at the end of the cable so I could strip it to a perfect length for soldering just by pulling the insulation off by hand.  """
Thanks for the tip.

Well done

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

||C|-|E||

I was thinking that your 464, as it is now, is exactly (more or less) what will be needed to run our text-adventure in an non 6128 machine. Maybe you will be able to give it a try and tell us how it feels!  :D .

CPC_Fan

Nice work there bjt. That's an excellent project. Would I be right in saying though, that when you want to alter the X-Mem to boot from ROM or CPC, you have to open up your 464 to change the switch position on the X-Mem?

bjt

That's true, although I can't see why I'd need to. I guess it would be easy enough to extend the switch to one mounted on the case.