News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
L

X-MEM Tools Disk, Software, and Manual?

Started by LambdaMikel, 23:15, 09 September 17

Previous topic - Next topic

LambdaMikel

Hi all,
I was lucky to still get an X-MEM 512 KB for my CPC 464... with Mother4X and PlayCity. So I am in heaven!
Thanks, ToTO... what a great bundle!

Can somebody point me to
- the X-MEM "manual" (if such a thing exists) - i.e., how do I load a ROM, what is the meaning of the switches?
- the X-MEM Tools .DSK
- some 128K demos that work with the 464 and X-MEM?
I tried Pinball Dreams, and Batman Forever - first crashed, second complained about wanting at least 128 K... is there a list of X-MEM compatible demos / software?

arnoldemu

Quote from: LambdaMikel on 23:15, 09 September 17
Hi all,
I was lucky to still get an X-MEM 512 KB for my CPC 464... with Mother4X and PlayCity. So I am in heaven!
Thanks, ToTO... what a great bundle!

Can somebody point me to
- the X-MEM "manual" (if such a thing exists) - i.e., how do I load a ROM, what is the meaning of the switches?
Look here:

http://cpcrulez.fr/hardware-memoire-interface_ROM-x-mem.htm

This may work on 464:
http://cpcrulez.fr/applications_free_util-x-mem_flasher.htm

Or try this:
http://cpcrulez.fr/applications_free_disc-ROM_manager_for_flash_gordon.htm

- the X-MEM Tools .DSK
I'll try and dump this soon.
EDIT: I don't need to, it's there on cpcrulez.

- some 128K demos that work with the 464 and X-MEM?
I expect this is 128k and I think it works on X-MEM:

http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&onglet=dumps&num=13108

I tried Pinball Dreams, and Batman Forever - first crashed, second complained about wanting at least 128 K... is there a list of X-MEM compatible demos / software?
Hmmm. this seems like the ram part is not working correctly do you have the X-MEM switch set to 464?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

GUNHED

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

arnoldemu

Quote from: GUNHED on 13:45, 10 September 17

That's super outdated. Get the newest version at www.futureos.de (see downloads).
Please tell cpcrulez.fr so they can add it to their downloads :)
My games. My Games

LambdaMikel

Thanks guys. In the meantime, I also got info from ToTO.

I am wondering if there are other users of the X-MEM with CPC 464 here?
I am having some problems. ToTO and I are trying to sort it out, but it would
be helpful to also get some other info / experience reports from other 464
owners / user.

LambdaMikel

Quote from: LambdaMikel on 03:40, 11 September 17I am having some problems.

Now that my X-Mem got exchanged, everything is working perfectly - it is an awesome piece of hardware + software!!  :)

Buleste

Quote from: LambdaMikel on 03:40, 11 September 17
Thanks guys. In the meantime, I also got info from ToTO.

I am wondering if there are other users of the X-MEM with CPC 464 here?
I am having some problems. ToTO and I are trying to sort it out, but it would
be helpful to also get some other info / experience reports from other 464
owners / user.
Sorry to ressurect this subject. Just got My X-MEM today for my 464. I managed to find some instructions on CPC Power I think which helped but getting the X-MEM to work properly is proving more difficult.
I've managed to clean my expansion port so that I can get the Firmware version showing up on the Basic screen as well as Basic 1.1 sort of working however when I load Edge Grinder via CDT (I don't have a floppy drive so I'm using my TZXDuino to load the CDT) the scrolling is very poor and there are vertical lines on the display.
I've not tried any 128k demos as they are mostly in DSK format.
Having said that CNG 128k compacted games do seem to work so far.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Buleste on 23:15, 16 October 17
Sorry to ressurect this subject. Just got My X-MEM today for my 464. I managed to find some instructions on CPC Power I think which helped but getting the X-MEM to work properly is proving more difficult.
I've managed to clean my expansion port so that I can get the Firmware version showing up on the Basic screen as well as Basic 1.1 sort of working however when I load Edge Grinder via CDT (I don't have a floppy drive so I'm using my TZXDuino to load the CDT) the scrolling is very poor and there are vertical lines on the display.
I've not tried any 128k demos as they are mostly in DSK format.
Having said that CNG 128k compacted games do seem to work so far.
Is it possible to show a photograph or video of the scrolling?

Are you viewing it on a television or amstrad monitor and what cables are you using?

Do you know which crtc is inside the computer? (The 6845 chip, is it UM6845R, HD6845S etc).

This will help to identify the scrolling problems.

My games. My Games

LambdaMikel

Btw, both Pinball Dreams and Batman Forever demo work perfectly on my 464 now.

Buleste

Quote from: arnoldemu on 08:59, 17 October 17
Is it possible to show a photograph or video of the scrolling?

Are you viewing it on a television or amstrad monitor and what cables are you using?

Do you know which crtc is inside the computer? (The 6845 chip, is it UM6845R, HD6845S etc).

This will help to identify the scrolling problems.
I'm using an RGB to SCART to view on my Television. Cable is from Cool Novelties.
Not sure about the 6845 I'll double check.
I'm sure it's an issue with the X-MEM as the lines on the screen only appear when trying stuff that uses 128k

EDIT: UM6845R

arnoldemu

Quote from: Buleste on 17:56, 17 October 17
I'm using an RGB to SCART to view on my Television. Cable is from Cool Novelties.
I'm sure it's an issue with the X-MEM as the lines on the screen only appear when trying stuff that uses 128k

Thank you.

I agree with you that it's unlikely to be the television, cable or 6845.
I have some ideas for test programs that should confirm what is happening. I'll get back to you when I have them ready.

My games. My Games

Buleste

Quote from: arnoldemu on 17:33, 18 October 17
Thank you.

I agree with you that it's unlikely to be the television, cable or 6845.
I have some ideas for test programs that should confirm what is happening. I'll get back to you when I have them ready.

Thank you. However I don't have a disk drive so I can only load CDT files.

gerald

Quote from: Buleste on 17:56, 17 October 17

Can you run the memory test attached to this post ?
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/repairs-to-a-cpc6128/msg114838/#msg114838
If you have artefact during the readback phase of the test (block goes from white to red or green) but all get green, the problem is within your CPC.
Do you know the model of your mother board (or just the serial number if you do not want to open it)

Buleste

Quote from: gerald on 18:03, 18 October 17
Can you run the memory test attached to this post ?
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/repairs-to-a-cpc6128/msg114838/#msg114838
If you have artefact during the readback phase of the test (block goes from white to red or green) but all get green, the problem is within your CPC.
Do you know the model of your mother board (or just the serial number if you do not want to open it)

I can't load that memory test as it's in DSk format and I don't have anything to load disks with

The mother board is a MC0044D Z70375

gerald

Quote from: Buleste on 18:26, 18 October 17
I can't load that memory test as it's in DSk format and I don't have anything to load disks with
Oops, did not realised it was a 464. CDT version attached

Quote from: Buleste on 18:26, 18 October 17
The mother board is a MC0044D Z70375
Pre-Asic, I was expecting this.

Buleste

I have done the rest and it's ended up all green.

gerald

Quote from: Buleste on 20:41, 18 October 17
I have done the rest and it's ended up all green.
Did you see any artefact during the test?
I've attached a second test, which I used to diagnose a similar problem on a CTRL4 CPC.
The test run endlessly and the picture should be as following and static. No pixel should move or change color.
[attach=3]
However, if you see anything moving, then we've put the finger on your issue.

Buleste

Quote from: gerald on 21:04, 18 October 17
Did you see any artefact during the test?
I've attached a second test, which I used to diagnose a similar problem on a CTRL4 CPC.
The test run endlessly and the picture should be as following and static. No pixel should move or change color.
[attach=3]
However, if you see anything moving, then we've put the finger on your issue.

Just white and green when it was running

Just ran that one and no pixels moved or changed colour.

arnoldemu

Quote from: gerald on 21:04, 18 October 17
@gerald: Interesting, what was the problem you saw?
My games. My Games

gerald

Quote from: arnoldemu on 08:51, 19 October 17
@gerald: Interesting, what was the problem you saw?
It's a timing error at the CAS level that corrupt video data fetched just before a read to the external memory.
During the external access, the interval one is masked, be in this case it is released too early and cause the internal RAM to do a access that corrupt the video data.
The fix is quite simple, just add few pF capacitor on the CAS line on ram side. Combined with the line resistance this create a delay that fix the issue.
The bug is quite random and can also be fixed by .... putting a probe on the cas line or your finger  :D
I fixed remax CRTC4 6128 this way : http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/hardware-related/ddi-xmem-issue/msg93393/#msg93393