News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Z80 to 6581 SID Player binaries

Started by stz80, 19:00, 06 December 15

Previous topic - Next topic

stz80

Hi Folks,

I am currently working on a project which will allow the Z80 to control a 6851 sid chip directly through the z80 output ports 0 onward.

Problem is that I have no binaries to test it out. Can you advise if there is any software which will allow me to create music and export as Z80 binary with the above port range?

Also as I am not very much of a composer, would love to hear about anyone who has already created their own Z80-SID masterpieces

Thanks in advance!

arnoldemu

Quote from: stz80 on 19:00, 06 December 15
Hi Folks,

I am currently working on a project which will allow the Z80 to control a 6851 sid chip directly through the z80 output ports 0 onward.

Problem is that I have no binaries to test it out. Can you advise if there is any software which will allow me to create music and export as Z80 binary with the above port range?

Also as I am not very much of a composer, would love to hear about anyone who has already created their own Z80-SID masterpieces

Thanks in advance!
Welcome!

Warning: Port 0 will clash with a lot of hardware including internal hardware of the cpc.
if you can alter your hardware so it uses a different range. There is another SID project that is being developed perhaps you could use a similar range so your hardware will be compatible?

Expansions like yours should recognise bit 10 of the i/o port as being 0, they are then free to decode the remaining 8 bits of the address as they wish.

See this for the existing expansions and their port decoding:
I/O Port Summary - CPCWiki

I don't know of any existing software that targets sid on z80. What you could do is choose a music player and convert it from 6502 to z80, then you can use almost any c64 music editor to create your music and play it :)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

stz80

Thanks for your reply,

I like the idea of being able to convert the 6502 to Z80 code.
From what I gather given the difference in register setup and instructions, reverse engineering each SID tune would be a interesting and healthy reverse engineering project.

I wonder if goat tracker can be modified to output z80, maybe will find some source code online.

Will look into the idea of a 3ch MOD file (with preset sid samples) to Z80SID output.

Cheers!