Author Topic: Arkos Tracker 2 - Released!  (Read 1382 times)

Offline cpcitor

• The user previously known as FindYWay
  • CPC6128
  • My heart still runs on traditional CPC.
    • My code for the CPC.
  • Liked: 87
Re: Arkos Tracker 2 - Released!
« Reply #50 on: 19:16, 13 November 17 »
Since the loose jack was fixed, the center voice (2) is no longer near-silent but audible.  :)

I can't find a way to turn a sampled instrument into a FM instrument.

I can only "clear" it, then I have to manually discover all the parameters that have to be changed (first: set the cleared instrument to be a FM instrument), and change everything cell by cell.

I expected to be able to use the "create new instrument from template" dialog, simply additionally commanding to overwrite the one at a position I wish. Instead it always creates appending at the end.

Also, when porting some music from sample to FM, it would be nice to be able to switch at will between original sample and FM instrument (even while playing) to assert the fidelity of the conversion.

But perhaps there are already good ways to do, that I just haven't figured out?

Good job anyway, and excellent decision to write cross-platform!
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • index.php?action=treasury
    • usebox.net
  • Liked: 760
« Reply #51 on: 20:24, 13 November 17 »
I didn't know it was so important for linux. I'll first provide 32 bits, and will try to provide 64 bits as well.

I've been using a 64-bit system for years. We can manage if you provide a 32-bit binary only, but 64-bit would be much appreciated!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail and Magica for the CPC.

Online Targhan

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Liked: 410
« Reply #52 on: 22:06, 13 November 17 »
Ok, I'll add Linux 32/64bits in my pipeline. God thank Jenkins :) .

can't find a way to turn a sampled instrument into a FM instrument

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to achieve here. Could you be more specific please? Do you simply created a sample instrument and simply want to ditch it, to be replaced by a FM instrument?

Offline cpcitor

• CPC6128
    • My code for the CPC.
« Reply #53 on: 22:35, 13 November 17 »
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to achieve here. Could you be more specific please? Do you simply created a sample instrument and simply want to ditch it, to be replaced by a FM instrument?

* The scenario is: loading an existing mod with sampled music, in the intent of converting it to FM-only to play with a regular CPC.
* In a song, each instrument is used many times, identified by a number.
* The aim here is: keep the number, the song sill still call the same instrument number but that should play a FM instrument instead of the sample instrument.
* Ideally, when user asks for this, user can choose the initial FM instrument behavior just like when user adds a new instrument with a new number: single beep, decreasing voume, etc.

Is that clearer?

(Bonus points it the change is reversible. For example if switching to FM does not destroy the sample reference immediately, just "hide" it. That is, if the data structures allow both FM and sample parameters to be present, the flag FM/sample only says which one is played and you can swicth at will to compare the FM instrument and the sample instrument at will while playing. But if all that part in parenthesis is not clear just ignore it.)
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

Online Targhan

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
« Reply #54 on: 12:12, 14 November 17 »
Switching between sample/FM instrument by "hiding" the other is not possible, and won't be. However, you wanted to use the "template" pop-up to overwrite a Sample instrument.
Unless I'm wrong, you can create a *new* FM instrument and set its destination to the sample instrument you want to overwrite. Shouldn't this do the trick?

Offline cpcitor

• CPC6128
    • My code for the CPC.
« Reply #55 on: 22:37, 14 November 17 »
Switching between sample/FM instrument by "hiding" the other is not possible, and won't be. However, you wanted to use the "template" pop-up to overwrite a Sample instrument.
Unless I'm wrong, you can create a *new* FM instrument and set its destination to the sample instrument you want to overwrite. Shouldn't this do the trick?

Yes, completely.

In spite of the reported problems (non-core, non-critical, non-blocking), I confirm software is usable on Ubuntu 16.04 AMD-64. It seems to reflect comprehensively the features of our beloved AY-3-8912.

Not tested yet the output on a real Amstrad, but managed to adapt an existing short tune into a working file. Even the "emulate CPC internal speaker" feels faithful (only tried on good external speakers).

Congrats Targhan! Keep up the good work! 8)

Offline Carnivius

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Mayhem Attack Squad
    • index.php?action=treasury
  • Liked: 868
« Reply #56 on: Today at 15:16 »
Excellent software, very well presented too. 

Is it possible to import YM files to see how certain tunes were composed or is that impossible?
Favorite CPC games: SwitchBlade, Stryker in the Crypts of Trogan, Turrican II, UN Squadron, Oh Mummy

Online Targhan

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
« Reply #57 on: Today at 15:26 »
Thanks. You're not the first one to ask for an YM import, but it is almost impossible to do. YM is just a stream, it would require a lot of work to extract instruments and notes in a useful way. Anway, with a bit of experience, recreating a song from listening to an YM is rather easy, even if long and not especially fun.