AudioTracker/Soundtracker for CPC 464 - Soundtrakker64 - how to load a song ?

Started by crocolive, 02:35, 25 December 17

Previous topic - Next topic

crocolive

Hi everyone  ;D

I would like to create audio tracks with my amstrad CPC 464. I don't own extra memory(at least at the moment, maybe i'll buy an extension - x-mem 512k later on the road), and i don't have a disk unit.
This is just my original amstrad 464 with the tape recorder, me, and the groove in the air ;-)

I know audio-trackers software (for instance protracker back in days on my Amiga) and i use a lot LSDJ on my DMG gameboy (i'm totally in love with this masterpiece !)
I know how to use emulator and command line too, to test and convert some files if needed.

I managed to load the soundtrakker64 v1.1 on my CPC using a sample of the software, with an old audio wire on the cassette player

But if can use the tracker without problem = i can create instruments, songs, and even save intrument and song on tape - i just can't Load Song i've just saved !
The Load Song is just uneffective :(
Oh and yes, i read the documentation

So my questions :

- Can i use "load song" from tape in soundtrakker64, or disk unit is mandatory ?
- Do you know good audiotrackers to use on a simple cpc 464 ?
- maybe a twisted solution, a series of ninja moves and techniques in order to create audiotrack somehow, then convert on a modern system to play it on my original 464 ?

Thanks for your time and attention.
Lot of hugs and kisses :D

villain

crocolive

Quote from: villain on 08:05, 25 December 17
I don't think that Soundtrakker has any tape support...
That's partially right : like i said, i manage to save my song on tape in Soundtrakker64
Once this done, maybe there a way to "compile" this soundtrakker song on tape in order to hear it on my real cpc464 outside Soundtrakker64 ?

But for now on, yes i'm stucked because i can save but i can't load :(

My final goal would be to hear tracks i've made, whatever the tool i used, on cpc or osx, linux or windows) on my real cpc464 !

Maybe i can use something like Starkos on emulator or Arkos Tracker 1 (or the wonderfull Arkos Tracker 2 when it'll be ready) on modern os then export for load in using the tape player ?

Targhan

Soundtrakker64 should work on tape, be sure to load .SND songs, not .128, that's all I know. As for STarkos, it requires 128k. Using an emulator, or Arkos Tracker 1 or 2, you can of course generate the music binary and use the player, load both on tape and play your song on your CPC 464.

I don't know what are your coding skills, but STarkos and AT1 both have a support for Basic, so you shouldn't have any problem listening to your song on a bare 464, directly from Basic.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Targhan

Oh, as for the soundtrakker (as well as STarkos or AT1), load the player (the Soundtrakker compiler can also generate a player, if my memory serves me right), then load the music. How to initialize and runs the music is in the manual :).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

crocolive

Very honored by your answer, Arkos conceptor !
Sorry my late answer, i was trying lot of things

* Soundtrakker64 on CPC464
http://cngsoft.no-ip.org/stk64exo.cdt.zip
I managed to create simple track with Soundtracker, but unfortunately it's definitely non possible to load from tape recorder on the cpc 464, although we can save on it !
And the process to "compile" a track saved on tape and bring it back on real cpc is not an easy step for me.

* CHIPNSFX on windows xp (Wine and Virtual box)
http://cngsoft.no-ip.org/chipnsfx.htm
I love it !
With a very simple track i've created and with some help, i was able to compile a disk player (.dsk, .bin) to hear it on an emulator.
I'm still testing this solution to use the bin on the bare 464
The modest track i made for test :
http://picosong.com/download/wR7rx/

* Just to mention
    EDIT = 01 15 2018 i couldn't use Arkos Tracker 1 in VirtualBox / windows xp, even if i've installed .NET framework, anyway ...
    I managed to use Arkos Tracker 1 in Virtualbox / windows XP. Its folder was a "shared" folder with my MAC OSX host. So it's running perfectly when this folder is on the windows xp Desktop !

* ... Arkos 2 of course on OSX, as you know :D
But if I really appreciate it, it's again hard with my poor coding skills to bring it for the real CPC464
Quote from: Targhan on 00:24, 26 December 17
I don't know what are your coding skills, but STarkos and AT1 both have a support for Basic, so you shouldn't have any problem listening to your song on a bare 464, directly from Basic.
I miss some knowledge with some intermediate steps :
i can compose on a tracker (for example LSDJ on Gameboy, Soundtracker Amiga ...) and i can code some hight level language, like python, php, javascript, some poor 80's locomotive basic, but i don't know Z80 assembler at all !
I suppose i have to learn some assembler  :o

Which module format should i export from a tracker to be "most portable" (ym) ?
Then what should i do with it ?
42 ??? !!!!  ;)

Maybe there are some documentation and tutorial for my missing points ?
Anyway, thanks again for your previous help and your time !

Targhan

Since Arkos Tracker 2 has no Basic support yet, you may have some trouble playing a song from Basic, I can't really find the time to write a full procedure, but I will make a Basic support in the next versions.

As for the Soundtrakker, I don't understand why you can not load a song you have just saved... What happens?

Ultimately, I suggest buy a drive or a floppy emulator, it will save you a lot of trouble :).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime