News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

MicroDesign Plus

Started by arnoldemu, 12:22, 03 December 17

Previous topic - Next topic

VincentGR

Holy shit!
This looks so professional  :o

ComSoft6128

Thanks VincentGR,

The CPC with the right software/hardware was just as capable of the quality printed output usually associated with the 16 Bits or early PC's of the late eighties or early nineties. The main drawback was the lack of memory, using a nine pin printer the above image took at least an hour and a half to print. Later when the ink-jets became available that was reduced to about ten or fifteen minutes per copy. The best option was to print a master copy and then photocopy as many copies as necessary for distribution.

Cheers,

Peter

VincentGR

I had a Star LC200 on my Amiga and didn't took so long.
Never had a chance to test it on my CPC and I really needed that.
I think that I did some printing though running a CPC emulator on my Amiga back then.

ComSoft6128

Another design for the WACCI library. 64K landscape format.

ComSoft6128

64K Portrait format.

VincentGR

A youtube video with some basic functions would be much appreciated  :P

ComSoft6128

Yes I have thought about that. The DES video will be first but will incorporate a little of MD+ and some other software. Later there will be a second video focussing on MD+ only.
The CPC's here have been repaired, the software checked (amazing what you forget after 20 years) and the outline for the video is complete.
What is slowing down the process is cold hard cash.
I did not anticipate the high cost of the required external hardware to produce a video. :o
The necessary pennies/pounds/gold bars are slowly being collected but this will take months. However, when I have enough and the video is finished the members of CPCWiki will be the first to know.

Cheers,

Peter

VincentGR

Fantastic.
You could use an emulator for a better picture though but I feel you for the love of the real thing.

ComSoft6128

This one is for any Trent Reznor fans out there. 64K portrait format.  Image from the "Head Like A Hole" video, grabbed using Rombo Vidi, spheres from an Amstrad Action type-in?   Can't remember, probably.  Printed using the Star LC-10.
Source video is available on YouTube.

ComSoft6128

64k Landscape format. Star LC-10 - draft quality.

ComSoft6128

Cover page for The Basic Idea, by Sean McManus, reviewed in issue 104 of Amstrad Action. 1994.  A4 size portrait format, printed using the Canon BJ10 EX.

Information for Sean is here:

http://www.sean.co.uk/books/amstrad/index.shtm

ComSoft6128

Promotional leaflet from Siren Software from 1988 for MD Extra.

ComSoft6128

Two Rombo Vidi mode 2 images converted to MD format. This is interesting because of its low quality. If you look closely stray pixels/pixel debris is obvious in both the images. Each of the figures is poorly defined and could have been tidied up quite easily. Adding a vertical pixel line to the top right of the image would have helped to outline the wall that should be clearly visible. Less than an hours work and this file could have been much improved. Nul points!

ComSoft6128

Mode 2 clip-art created using Advanced Art Studio then converted to MD format. Landscape, printed using the Star LC-10.

ComSoft6128

This is two mode 2 Rombo screens converted to MD format and then "stitched" together to form one large graphic. A4 portrait format, printed using Star LC-10. 

ComSoft6128

This poster (A4 portrait) pokes fun at the IBM "Solutions for a small planet" marketing campaign from the mid nineties. Printed using Canon BJ10-EX.

ComSoft6128

Now this is a puzzle. This poster hung above my desk for over a decade as an aide-memoire. The top table shows the predefined key commands from Arnors Utopia Rom that were/are very useful.
The middle and bottom tables show other predefined keys from another Rom or Roms and no longer appear to work. I thought at first some of them might operate from command mode in Protext but no joy. Also they are a mix of Amsdos and CPM commands which seems more than a little unusual.
Does anyone recognise these key combinations or have any ideas?

ComSoft6128

Original on disc help file from Siren Software 1988. A4 portrait, draft quality.

ComSoft6128

This is MD+ hardcopy from a customer in NZ, it dates from 94. It shows the floorplan he designed for the factory that he was then working in. Apologies for the poor quality but this is from the original 24 year old letter. 

robcfg

I think is awesome to have real designs of that time, excellent work!

VincentGR

ComSoft6128

Many thanks for the kind comments.
Yes, a little CPC archaeology at work here.
I am trying to avoid using my files exclusively as I would like to show the various ways that MD+ was put to work by its users back then. There are a few other MD files from customers on disc here but at the moment I have no way to print them. Mmm.
BTW - if anyone would like a copy of any of the MD files that have been displayed just send me a SAE and 3" or 3.5" disc.
Cheers,

Peter

ComSoft6128

64K Landscape format, printed using Star-LC10. Mode 2 image from Rombo Vidi. 92/93?
Another mess. The mass of pixels surrounding the main image could have easily been removed giving much better definition and adding a few pixels to the fingers of the each hand would have improved them as well. Tsk! Tsk!
This image again comes from a BBC documentary, this time on the Opium Wars. It is a small part of an illustration from the 19th century French magazine "Le Petit Journal Supplément Illustré". The full illustration and background information is available to view here:

https://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/21f/21f.027/boxer_uprising/bx_essay02.html

ComSoft6128

Sample letter to customer, 92. Large clip-art files licensed from Creative Technology Ltd. 64K A4 portrait format. Star LC-10.  Early days, no fax number or email address.

ComSoft6128

64K Landscape format. Image from Rombo Vidi. Star LC-10 printer.  The converted mode 2 screen in the centre of the design is from the (very) long running BBC2 news and current affairs programme "Newsnight." At the end of each programme the front page for some of the next days newspapers were displayed. This headline refers to an event that took place in 1988 but the MD+ design is dated 1991 so it seems likely the original 17K screen was stored on 3.5" Romdos D20 disk until that year.