News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New ROM for CP/M!!!

Started by TFM, 16:21, 11 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Quote from: FloppySoftware on 17:59, 20 June 15

Upsss!!!

You're right, no EXIT key on the CPC keyboard, that's inheritage from the PCW version.  ;)

I'll amend it in the next version, I promise.  ;)

But, you need to execute "setkeys keys.ccp" for sure (Hey! It's a CP/M program).  :P

Sure had few sleep. Let me know it you need something else in ROM for CPC. [nb]Sorry, can't do this for the PCW at the moment.[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Ok, added SETKEYS to the Cruncher ROM. Which is needed for the TE ROM. I dunno if I can add keys.ccp too. Gotta give it a try, but I don't think it will work.

Here the new archive with everything   :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Quote from: TFM on 23:49, 21 June 15

Are you serious? A 16 KB ROM is a problem, while people upload high res pictures of few MB all the time? You should start saving the Euro instead of the Cents.[nb]And even a DSK is 10% of a picture only[/nb]  :)

Because a picture can be useful; an unzipped dsk or ROM file is always wasteful. If nothing else this argument pushes for restrictions with image sizes, not for allowing waste in DSKs.

TFM

Back to topic, any other wishes for CP/M applications in ROM? Let me know!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Ok, added 2 more ROMs. They contain ZMAC and ZLINK (Acc 3 is expanded too). See archive, it contains the doc too.  :)

TFM of FutureSoft

steve

I do not understand why a zipped 16KB file becomes 98KB, is it not possible to have a 16KB file?

CraigsBar

The 98k contains 6 ROMs and docs not just 1 ROM
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

steve

OK, Thanks, but it is still bigger than 96k.

CraigsBar

Quote from: steve on 17:08, 01 July 15
OK, Thanks, but it is still bigger than 96k.
OK I have just done what you could have done. I downloaded it. I missed a few ROMs. The archive now has TEN ROM files and 4 documents. That kinda explains it don't you think? Thanks @TFM, it's great to see CPM getting some love. ;)

steve

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:15, 01 July 15
OK I have just done what you could have done. I downloaded it. I missed a few ROMs. The archive now has TEN ROM files and 4 documents. That kinda explains it don't you think? 

Why should I download it, I have no use for it, I was simply asking why the file was larger than I thought it needed to be.

CraigsBar

FloppySoftware

Strange behaviour?
floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es

TFM

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:15, 01 July 15
OK I have just done what you could have done. I downloaded it. I missed a few ROMs. The archive now has TEN ROM files and 4 documents. That kinda explains it don't you think? Thanks @TFM, it's great to see CPM getting some love. ;)

Thanks! Well, I guess I will add couple small things maybe and the put the "final" result somewhere in the net for everybody (cpcwiki, my hp or so). Guess I will wait a bit maybe some people like to have something in particular in ROM, so I can add it.  :)

CP/M Plus is actually pretty neat!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

khaz

Any hope to fit PIP somewhere? Or any other file copier.

And also HELP? I suppose it should be amended to describe the new utilities, but it would be nice to have.

CraigsBar

Quote from: khaz on 23:41, 02 February 16
Any hope to fit PIP somewhere? Or any other file copier.

And also HELP? I suppose it should be amended to describe the new utilities, but it would be nice to have.
I think pip is already in the dragonbreed rom, or on one of the original cpm util roms

Sent from my A3-A30 using Tapatalk

khaz

I only looked in the pack from the futureos website, but I didn't see it.

QuoteNames of the application / expansion ROMs for CP/M Plus
-------------- ----------------------------------------
- CPM_Plus_Acc_1.ROM provides this set of commands / applications: NSWEEP, FORMAT, PCW, RUN, UNERA, D
- CPM_Plus_Acc_2.ROM provides this set of commands / applications: ECHO, ED, GOTO, IF, PATCH, XFORM, TIMEROM+
- CPM_Plus_Acc_3.ROM provides this set of commands / applications: UNCR, CRUNCH, UN33, SETKEYS
- CPM_Plus_Acc_4.ROM provides this set of commands / applications: BD, FIND
- CPM_Plus_Acc_5.ROM provides this set of commands / applications: TE
- CPM_Plus_Acc_6.ROM provides this set of commands / applications: ZMAC, COMFU
- CPM_Plus_Acc_7.ROM provides this set of commands / applications: ZLINK

TFM

Quote from: khaz on 02:23, 03 February 16
I only looked in the pack from the futureos website, but I didn't see it.

Yes, you can use NSWEEP, it's way more powerful than PIP.COM, it can copy files, type files, compress and way more. It actually inspired me aside of ZFILER for some early FutureOS concepts back the day. If you find some functionality in PIP.COM which you miss in NSWEEP.COM let me know and I make a ROM with PIP.COM for you.  :)

To put HELP.COM in a ROM is a bit a problem, since the date file is about 60 KB (iirc).

Do you need anything else in a ROM? Let me know and I will help.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

khaz

I checked the documentation for NSWEEP briefly, but even though it can do a lot of things, it seems to be at the expense of usability. I do miss the ease of use of just doing PIP C:=A:*.* .  I'm not specially attached to PIP though, I don't like how from and to are swapped, and I don't understand why it's not simply called COPY or CP. (And it should understand relative paths, and the wildcard character should take both the name and the extension, and etc.)

HELP.COM itself is 7k, but HELP.HLP is 75k. Yeah, I don't think it will ever fit anywhere.

TFM

Oh well PIP can send files to the CRT or get a file from the keyboard, therefore they called it Pheripherial Interchange Program, which makes somehow sense. It is 9 KB long, so it will fit on a ROM, have to do that a bit later, since I'm busy at work.

About target and destination swapping, well, PIP is from 1982, so I guess it was first there.  ;)

NSWEEP offers mass options. Tag All, then Copy All.  :)

TFM of FutureSoft

khaz

That would be sweet. I hope you can find some space on your existing ROMs, or we will have to find stuff to fill the new one with.

Quite unrelated, but have you looked into modifying the original two CP/M PLUS ROMs? If I recall correctly they can only check for Accessory ROMs in locations 1 to 15, which can be problematic once you start accumulating them and others.

Also, but I'm not sure you can helpe here, I tried to use TIMEROM+ in WinAPE. Is there a reason why you need both a TIMEROM+ ROM and a TIMEROM+ utility? Also DATE can only be used after TIMEROM+ has been started. It would be nice to have both utilities merged together.

TFM

i'm not quite sure what you mean. TIMEROM+ needs to be called only once, it reads the RTC date and time into the CP/M software clock. I don't think that WinApe emulates it. It's for real hardware.
DATE can be used anytime (also to set time and date), it's the new update with the Millenium patch in it. :)

Extending ROMs 0-15 to 0-64 is on my 2DO list, if somebody is more quick - nice!  :)

EDIT: Ok, found no 9 KB in one of the other ROMs. Now here is the new archive.... PIP is in ROM 8.

TFM of FutureSoft

khaz

TIMEROM+ works in WinAPE. You need to put the ROM in it, and tell WinAPE where the ROM is in Settings/other/other devices.
And yes, it only needs to be called once, but that's still something to do first. If it's not permanently loaded in RAM, maybe it would be interesting to integrate it into the startup sequence of CP/M? Or if it is, then alter DATE so that it calls it before it first starts.

TFM

Quote from: khaz on 19:56, 03 February 16
TIMEROM+ works in WinAPE. You need to put the ROM in it, and tell WinAPE where the ROM is in Settings/other/other devices.
And yes, it only needs to be called once, but that's still something to do first. If it's not permanently loaded in RAM, maybe it would be interesting to integrate it into the startup sequence of CP/M? Or if it is, then alter DATE so that it calls it before it first starts.

Oh, so I have to take a closer look at the WinApe Update then :-)

If you have a PROFILE.SUB then just add TIMEROM at the beginning. Like I remember it only reads the RTC and then sets the software clock of CP/M. After that there should be nothing in RAM left (or do I miss the point?).
TFM of FutureSoft

FloppySoftware

Quote from: khaz on 17:34, 03 February 16
I do miss the ease of use of just doing PIP C:=A:*.* .  I'm not specially attached to PIP though, I don't like how from and to are swapped, and I don't understand why it's not simply called COPY or CP. (And it should understand relative paths, and the wildcard character should take both the name and the extension, and etc.)

That's sounds very Unixy to me.  :laugh:

CP/M has its roots.  ;)
floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es

TFM

Added POWER 3 in ROM 9. See my hp! Enjoy!!!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft