News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New version of ParaDOS finally released.

Started by Executioner, 05:12, 26 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Quote from: Executioner on 22:11, 19 January 16
Where can I find the CPM ROM you are using?

A comprehensive collection for CP/M Plus on ROM and lots of applications, including my self written documentation can be found on my homepage. Or use the direct link:

http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/CPM_Plus_ROMs.zip

(English and German versions). Enjoy.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Audronic

@TFM

Thanks for the CPM Roms for the Plus series.
Is there a link for the NON Plus machines ??

Thanks    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

TFM

Quote from: Audronic on 22:15, 20 January 16
@TFM
Thanks for the CPM Roms for the Plus series.
Is there a link for the NON Plus machines ??
Thanks    Ray

The link up there? That all should work for all CPCs.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

khaz

Hi, I've been trying to use ParaDOS 1.2 on my CPC6128, with the X-MEM and a 3.5 drive. I can't seem to make it format my disc properly? The disc is 1.44MB with tape over the HD hole, the ParaDOS ROM comes from my WinAPE 2.0b2 install.

I have been able to successfully format it in all ParaDOS, ROMDOS, S-DOS, DATA (SS 40), and SYSTEM (SS 40) formats.
Trying to format to DATA (DS 40), (SS 80), (DS 80) formats it as DATA (SS 40) instead.
Trying to format to SYSTEM (DS 40), (SS 80), (DS 80) formats it as SYSTEM (SS 40) instead.
The IBM, PCW, ULTRAFORM and VORTEX formats are all formatted as ROMDOS D1 instead.

I've looked into the format setup, but I'm not sure what I'm doing. I can toggle IBM formats instead or ROMDOS but then everything previously formatted as ROMDOS D1 would be as IBM (SS 40), even the three other IBM formats (DS 40), (SS 80), (DS 80).

I don't know what to do, I must be missing something obvious.

How do I format a 3.5 disc in DATA (DS 80)? And IBM (DS 80)?

CraigsBar

I think these extended data and system formats are referred to as the electro formats and they are there for CPM generally. Amsdos needs parados set up to use them, which by default it is not.

For general amsdos use, use the romdos formats for 80trk DS discs.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

khaz

So all these formats need a CPC with ParaDOS to be accessed? I feel like I'm missing the point of having so many options: why would I use anything but ROMDOS if the 22 formats can only be used with ParaDOS? I wanted to make the best of my 3.5 disc while also being able to share it with a standard CPC, and I thought AMSDOS would just check the format (DATA) and use whatever space was available. What are my options to do that?

Isn't IBM format essentially FAT12? how would the ParaDOS-equipped CPC react if I fed it an MS-DOS formatted disc?

AMSDOS

Quote from: khaz on 01:35, 19 March 16

Isn't IBM format essentially FAT12?

No, the IBM format which the CPC uses is the format used for CP/M-86, which is the 160kb I think which uses a different format from the FAT format DOS uses.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Executioner

Quote from: khaz on 01:35, 19 March 16
So all these formats need a CPC with ParaDOS to be accessed?

A standard CPC with AMSDOS can only use DATA (SS40), SYSTEM (SS40) and IBM (SS40). Although ParaDOS allows you to format DATA as DS80 for example, it won't read it as 716K unless you enable Electro formats. These larger DATA/SYSTEM/IBM formats were commonly used in Australia in the '80s and '90s since we had some simple patched AMSDOS ROMs to enable the formats. If you want a standard CPC to be able to read the discs at all (from AMSDOS), I'd stick with SS40 formats.

The format I normally use for DS80 drives is ROMDOS D10 or D20 since they are detected by ParaDOS regardless of the drive configuration, but they can't be used on a normal CPC since the standard AMSDOS ROM doesn't provide for double sided drives at all.

Executioner

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:47, 19 January 16
Edit : Attached

Oddly it works just fine with Parados 1.2 on the JustCPC. however on the 6128+ with Parados1.2+ it just hangs forever more, never loading CPM.

The file you attached contains two ROM files, but they don't appear to be valid ROMs at all, the first 3072 bytes of each are all zeroes.

The_Mole_UK

Quote from: Executioner on 06:54, 26 November 15
• Reference:  Page 1, Post 4...
I was a bit confused by Richard's documentation, and so sought help from a friend who programs the C64 to understand it...
My version is attached...

CRC32: 720478F9
MD5: 1057394671CFA37575A8984DCF25E559
SHA-1: A3901D27D841DBD709F3C01730269C4CC060F679