News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Old PD Software

Started by ComSoft6128, 22:18, 22 June 18

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

Looking for a volunteer or volunteers.
Working thru the boxes of Romdos D20 3.5 disks here is a very slow process. Some of the disks are full of software from the various eighties/nineties PD libraries. Most of the files are small basic programs but some have binary files. There may be one or two commercial programs in the mix but not many.  I don't think that all of these files have been archived but unfortunately I don't have the time to check this.
I am looking for someone that could look at a few of these disks/files and give a brief description (a few lines) of the programs for the Wiki members to look at.
There will be no cost to anyone that can help with this. I will copy the disks and post them and the copies are not required back here.
This is not limited to the UK.
If you don't use Romdos or Parados I can format the disks to data.

Over to you..................

Deeko

Hi Peter,

I've got Parados and a 3.5" drive on my 128k modded 464+ and need an excuse to boot it back up in my spare time.

I'll be happy to go through them listing and describing files that are are plus friendly and list any that aren't for someone else to look at on an older gen CPC. I'm literally just along the M8 so you don't have to send them far either  :)   

Send me a PM with more details and I'll get back to you.

Cheers,       

Derek

ComSoft6128

Thanks AMSDOS and Deeko!

It is possible that some of the software hasn't seen the light of day for nearly 25 years, should be interesting.
I will PM you both.

Cheers,

Peter

CPC_Fan

Hi Peter,

I don't suppose you know if any of the discs have any of the PD software from the WACCI PD library on them at all?

I have ParaDos and a 3.5" disc drive for my classic 6128, so should be able to read the discs without any problems.

Mark

ComSoft6128

Hi Mark,

There are a few programs that are definitely from the WACCI library. I think the majority are from Scull PD and one or two from the U.A.U.G. If it is OK with yourself I will send a disk off to you Tuesday 3/7. I would prefer to get one off to you before that but unfortunately I won't be back in Glasgow till Sunday 1/7.

Thanks,

Peter

CPC_Fan

Hello Peter,

That sounds great. To be honest, it doesn't really matter where the PD software comes from, as it would just be great to have some again. It's a shame that there isn't any .dsk images of the software from any of the old PD library's online anywhere, as there was some very good stuff about. Unless of course somebody knows different?

Anyway send me a disk/disks whenever you are ready and I will see what I can do.

Mark

CraigsBar

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 22:18, 22 June 18
Looking for a volunteer or volunteers.
Working thru the boxes of Romdos D20 3.5 disks here is a very slow process. Some of the disks are full of software from the various eighties/nineties PD libraries. Most of the files are small basic programs but some have binary files. There may be one or two commercial programs in the mix but not many.  I don't think that all of these files have been archived but unfortunately I don't have the time to check this.
I am looking for someone that could look at a few of these disks/files and give a brief description (a few lines) of the programs for the Wiki members to look at.
There will be no cost to anyone that can help with this. I will copy the disks and post them and the copies are not required back here.
This is not limited to the UK.
If you don't use Romdos or Parados I can format the disks to data.

Over to you..................
You cans send whatever you like over to me in Galway, I'll take a look and document no worries.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Scautura

There is a fairly complete copy of Robot PD's catalog on David Cantrell's website: http://www.cantrell.org.uk/mirrors/ (posting the root rather than the Robot PD folder so you can see the "welcome" message).

It also contains some software from other libraries, plus a file (missing.txt) which specifies what alternate disc to find it on.

ComSoft6128

Thanks Scautara.

CraigsBar, thanks again - I will send a disk off Tuesday 3/7.

Cheers,

Peter

CPC_Fan

Thanks for the link Scautara.

ComSoft6128

Disks copied. CPC_FAN, DEEKO and CraigsBar, please PM your full name and address and I will post them off Tuesday.

Cheers,

Peter

Deeko

Hi Peter,

PM with address sent.

Regards,

Derek

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ComSoft6128

Hi Guys,

Small favour required. Due to the large number of files on each disk I have separated them into various user areas, when the disks arrive can you please email me a catalogue of the contents to avoid duplication for future disks. Also if you could look at the basic loaders for any info on the authors or original source - PD libraries etc.

Deeko, in user area zero you will find the game Trakers for the 664/6128, in user area one is the 6128 Plus version. I don't think that the plus version is any different from the standard version, just that it runs on the Plus.

Cheers,

Peter

CPC_Fan

ComSoft6128

CPC_Fan and Deeko,

Disks sent this morning.
Something to look out for when they arrive, not all programs will be "Rom friendly" and some might require to run from drive A.

Thanks again,

Peter

CPC_Fan

Ok will look out for them in the post Peter. I have an ABBA switch fitted to my 3.5" disc drive, so if some programs need to run from the A drive, it shouldn't be a problem.

Mark

ComSoft6128

Hi Guys,

After a quick look at some of the disks in Glasgow on Sunday there may be somewhere between 100 - 200 programs in total. I have asked Gryzor and he has agreed (thank you) to host them on the Wiki. So this is turning into a little software reclamation project.

Also, to clarify - when emailing the catalogue of each disk - please list the basic loaders and main binary files only, any associated data files are not necessary. This should save typing out possibly hundreds of filenames and your poor fingers from cramp!

Thanks,

Peter

CPC_Fan

Hi Peter,

I've managed to have a quick look at the disc that you sent me. I am not sure if I'm doing something wrong though. When I cat the disc in basic, it lists only 12 files. Also it appears that there doesn't seem to be a basic loader/disc menu, so it only loads 1 program when I type run"disc. However, if I log the disc in either ParaDos or DES (ensuring that the show all hidden files check box is ticked), about 29 files show. But I can only still load the 1 program from there.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong? Do I need to try and run/load the disc in a different way?

Mark

Deeko

Hi Peter,

Just letting you know I have the disc and I'll dig my 464+ out over the weekend to start looking through it.

Best regards,

Derek

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ComSoft6128

Hi Guys,

Sorry should have clarified this sooner - no great rush with the disks. The next set won't be ready for 2/3 weeks.

Cheers,

Peter

ComSoft6128

CPC_Fan and Deeko,

Have you managed to have a look at the disks yet?
No great rush, I'm just curious.

CraigsBar, your disk will be posted off next Tuesday.

Cheers,

Peter

CPC_Fan

Hi Peter,

I've got about halfway through checking the disc that you sent me. Unfortunately progress had to stop for a short while, due to life and some other things getting in the way. However hopefully I should be able to resume progress with it shortly.

Regards

Mark

GUNHED

Well, if they are in D20 format, the IMHO quickest way would be to make HFE's (or DSKs) out of them and upload them somewhere (here) and we all can make an inventory of them then describing details.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

ComSoft6128

Hi GUNHED,

My CPC and laptop don't speak to each other. So that, unfortunately, is not an option at the moment.

Cheers,

Peter

Deeko

Hi Peter,
I have the disc and my 464+ looked out and set up. I just need to wait until I'm back home this Friday to go through it.
Regards,
Derek