News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

PCW 8000 MASTERFILE 8000

Started by GeorgeH, 17:14, 10 April 17

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeH

Does anyone have a copy of MASTERFILE 8000 as a DSK disc image ?

breiztiger

Hi

I just bought one on eBay

As it arrive i'll dump them and send you DSK

Ace

GeorgeH

To breiztiger

Thank you very much.

I look forward to the DSK image when you make it.

GeorgeH

To breiztiger

Thank you very much.

I look forward to the upload of the DSK image.

:)

breiztiger

hi

sorry to be so late ...

the disk i received is format on masterfile 8000 side

i have only dump side that is pcw graph and calcomat pcw ;-(

i'm looking for another one to dump

GeorgeH

To breiztiger

Sorry to hear that it was the wrong disk.  :doh:

I dont mind waiting a bit longer for the correct one.

Thanks again for all your help. Good luck.

breiztiger

Not the wrong Disc

Just as mf8000 side formated   :-\

greatwolf1283

GeoffB17

I've taken the liberty of downloading the file.

Interesting.

The file seems to contain the .DSK files for the Prog/Data side of the original disk, also a .DSK for the 'vendor' disk.

I've tried the system on both Joyce, and my PCW.   The things I've tried appear to work fine on both.   Without any reference to the 'vendor' disk, so I don't know (yet) at what stage I might need that.

The system appears to put a couple of it's 'overlays' onto M: for speed.

More importantly, the disk contains a number of example data files, *.MFC.   To work with a file, you need to 'load' it, and the loading process seems to involve copying the .MFC onto M:, and in doing so, the file is split into three components, an 'index' file, which contains the key field, a data file, which contains the rest of the data (but seemingly NOT the key field), and a 'format' file which contains various info, incl the field names and I assume info about the file layout, i.e. linking the data in the other two files.

It appears that you work on the file from M:, and then when you've finished, you need to 'save' the file which I assume recombines the files on M: and turns them back into a .MFC, seemingly on A:, but maybe could be elsewhere.

I need to play some more!

Geoff

GeorgeH

To greatwolf1283

Thank you for the DSK image of Masterfile 8000 for the PCW.

Thanks to everyone else for looking for this.

This has taken me back to 1987 when I used a PCW in my first job.

The copy you supplied is version 2. I did not know it was upgraded. It can take data from external files.

I remember in the old version you could only have 1 lookup file with 2 fields and it was part of the main database file.

Once again, thank you all.
:D

GeorgeH

To greatwolf1283

Thank you for the DSK image of Masterfile 8000 for the PCW.
[/size]Thanks to everyone else for looking for this.This has taken me back to 1987 when I used a PCW in my first job.The copy you supplied is version 2. I did not know it was upgraded. It can take data from external files.I remember in the old version you could only have 1 lookup file with 2 fields and it was part of the main database file.Once again, thank you all.

zhulien

Does anyone know if this works on a CPC and if not, why not?

GeoffB17

This prog will have been designed to operate under CP/M, so if your CPC is one that will run CP/M then it may be OK.   However there's the situation re screen size to check, the PCW version may be using more of the PCW screen than is available on a CPC, but this might be adjustable.   I don't have a CPC to try it.

Geoff

ComSoft6128

No Drive M (Ram drive) on the CPC so unlikely to work due to this.
Masterfile 3 was the CPC version of this program and, as far as I know, Masterfile 8000 was designed for the PCW only.

Some Info:
https://cpcrulez.fr/applications_bureau-masterfile_8000.htm

GeoffB17

Er, yes, the M: drive is mentioned earlier in the thread - by me, actually!!  If there's no way around that, then will be a total stop.   But do the 6xxx CPCs have any ramdrive facility?

Checking, I see there are some RAM options (DKtronics) some of which seem to include RAM Disk options?  Is that so?  Would one of those allow for an M: drive?

Geoff

ComSoft6128

In theory yes you could configure one of the memory expansions for the 6128 as a RAM drive but likely a patched version of CPM for the 6128 would also be required. 
But even then you would still be left with the different screen configurations between the CPC and PCW.

zhulien

If you use the dragonbreed patched CP/M on CPC, the ramdrive is accessible with both C and M.

Also it has a clearer font and text speedup patch.

zhulien

Don't forget you can also use the graduate CP/M and the dragonbreed accessory ROM that I had made back in the day for dragonbreed (dbreed1.rom), my disco6.rom (with multiple saves enabled and translated into english), super.rom and likely a couple of others if I can remember.

I am unsure if I can find the dragonbreed CP/M patcher itself, but I could perhaps provide the patched CP/M if you need?

ps, why did my pasted image fail to show here?  Can we no longer upload images?